It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Hypothesis on Adam & Eve

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

You make some good points. To be honest, I don't really have any answers. I have some ideas, but it's one of those things where I have come to the realization that I'm probably never going to really know the truth. However, it has crossed my mind, that us and those with God are one in the same. Perhaps we were made directly from higher beings. Perhaps what separates us is our knowledge, understanding of ourselves and our true creation or past. We may just be an experiment, who really knows???? As for the mention of giants after the flood, I guess I'm just not familiar with that text. I need to re-read the OT apparently. I'll see what I can find.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Gen 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Is this the part?... I'm a little rusty on the good Book.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

just to present the big picture overview---
the 6 'days' of Genesis were each 250,000,000 years long = which is one rotation around the galactic center..... Adam-Eve were engineered in this present Biblical 'Day', certainly before

I have heard similar claims many times.
Where does the proof of this Biblical Day time theory reside?
Why, if the bible was writtem by men, would they use a gods time system instead of our own 24 hour day? Is this just to make vauge writings more vauge?
John Edward must have studied this book to learn the art of vauge deception.

Have a good one!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Perhaps the whole creation story and the story of the garden of eden and eve and adam, is simply a way for humans back then to explain how THEY believed BACK THEN the world came to be.
(I'm not sure if that's proper english, but never mind. :puz

After all, many ancient peopkle tried to explain how earth and its inhabitants came to be. To me, genesis is just another legend. Fascinating, interesting, but a legend.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwynniver

There is also a Hermetic interpretation of the story, where it is assumed that they legend by the ancient masters of Qabalistic wisdom:

Adam = Self-consciousness, or ego
Eve = Subconsciousness
The Serpent = Kundalini
God = Superconsciousness

These keys allow one to re-read the Hebrew creation myth in a new light.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Cool story. Can you next explain the talking snake? How come our contemporary snakes don't speak?

[edit on 13-4-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by savvys84

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Cool story. Can you next explain the talking snake? How come our contemporary snakes don't speak?

I think the creationists believe that the snake was controlled by Satan...

I do have some questions of my own though:

-If God is all-knowing, why did he initially put the snake in the garden to begin with, to inevitably be made to talk by Satan and then trick Eve?

-If God is supposed to be everywhere, where was he when the snake started chatting to Eve?

-If Adam and Eve were meant to be perfect, why did they diobey God in the first place, and allowed themselves to be so easily tricked by the snake? Surely you'd think they have a whole lot more faith in knowing God was right.

-If the apple was meant to be a test, why did God get so angry when Adam and Eve failed, if he even knew there was a 50% chance of any of the aforementioned questions could possibly occur? Doesn't sound like a very non-judgemental God to me.

-The bible mentions all creatures great and small were created. Some atheists argue that there is no mention of the creation of Dinosaurs. That is not necesssarily true. However, where were the dinosaurs when Noah was building his ark? Did they die out before then? How come that wasn't mentioned previously? If they survived, how was there no mention of them on the ark, with the rest of the animals? Surely large, horned beasts, some with ferocious looking teeth would be worth a mention, at the least a reference? Or did God get rid of them in the great flood, after he deemed them not worthy of walking the Earth? Again, doesn't sound like a very non-judgemental God.

I am not ripping apart the religion, so don't get up in arms with emotionally-driven posts, that make no logical sense. I am honestly trying to understand. It also helps if the information give back to me is presented in a clear way with no shorthand (with some exceptions to those with English as their second language, of course)

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

[edit on 13-4-2010 by rhinoceros]

Also, why did the biblical god curse the snake and cause it to go about its belly and eat the dust of the earth if it was satan who was controlling it? Can you fault the snake, which is only an animal....?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Fascinating, and I agree with you, this could place the legend of creation in a new light.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Exactly. And what type of punishment is making the snake crawl around on it's belly for all of lifetime? Isn't that how the snake was created, and is its natural mode of mobility? What, did the snake have some other body form prior to this - did it have legs or something?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Don't wanna be rude but if you just wanna say "hell" say hell not "outer darkness" mormonism isn't exactly that creative.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashtree

I'll do my best to answer your questions without it seeming like I'm being vicious and "zomg I'm a crazy religious nut job". Just a nice pleasant response:

Answer 1 - The snake was considered the most intelligent and most beautiful "animal" at the time of creation. To add to your last question it's theorized that snakes did in fact walk on legs otherwise why would God curse them to their bellys? Not to be confused with man because some like to say man is technically an animal, too. So to be clear, I hope, God created all creatures for man to live amongst and for man to subdue; much like we see today. Except those who enjoy being chew toys: nom, nom, nom.

Answer 2 & 3 - These, I feel, can be answered together. God created Adam and Eve with the intention to give them free will. He didn't want them to be like robots and do as they are "programmed." He wanted them to be able to make the decision for themselves whether or not to worship God as their Creator. Enter Satan who wasn't the full fledged monster people who believe like to attribute him to at this point in time. He was more of an over-seer and was testing Adam and Eve. Yes, he was still banished from Heaven but not trying to be the corruptor of souls and all that he is today. So, what better way to see if God's creation will use their free will to trust in God and not eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil or in this case, fail the test and be banished forever from the Garden of Eden. I guess its like getting mad at your kids when they disobey you, especially when you told them not to do something (like don't get in the car with a complete stranger). If thats a safe example to make.

Answer 4 - The term dinosaur wasn't coined until the 1800's so the applicable term used in the Bible is dragons. Reptiles, lizards, dragons, whatever you want to call them never stop growing like most animals on earth do. Back then Earth was protected by an extra layer in the atmosphere which is why there was no mention of rain until Noah's flood. Since there was 50% more oxygen back then they just kept growing and growing, bigger and bigger, than they do today. Ask yourself this; would you want a big huge T-Rex on your boat? So Noah took them while they were small, perhaps as eggs or just "Littlefoots". More points to you if you get the reference. There are pictures of human footprints inside "dinosaur" footprints along with the fossils. How else do cave drawings of "dinosaurs" get on caves if they didn't see them. That's how they drew back then; by what they could see.
Ultimately most of them died out during the Ice Age that preceded the Flood. Which is why you find mammoths with food still in their mouths.

I think I covered everything and I hope it makes sense. No flames please, I enjoy having genuine conversations about this stuff. As do most people on ATS.

EDIT: Forgot to mention why Eve was tempted. Adam was a follower of Eve but was punished first because he was the head of the human race therefore responsible for its actions. Satan tempted Eve by doubting God's word. The Bible says to resist Satan but never to debate him which is what Eve did; try to out smart Satan. Satan ultimately lies to Eve saying she "won't" die by eating the fruit even though God specifically made it clear that if you eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil you shall surely die. God wanted Adam to know what the good is and what the evil would be. Instead we now know what good AND evil are because of their actions. Lesson: experience isn't always the best teacher.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by novastrike81]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
reply to post by Ashtree

EDIT: Forgot to mention why Eve was tempted. Adam was a follower of Eve but was punished first because he was the head of the human race therefore responsible for its actions. Satan tempted Eve by doubting God's word. The Bible says to resist Satan but never to debate him which is what Eve did; try to out smart Satan. Lesson: experience isn't always the best teacher.

I dont know how long you've been on ATS, but somewhere along the line Satan will put his 2 bits in here. I would say Resist Satan and Silence him too.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FSMthewayshegoes
Don't wanna be rude but if you just wanna say "hell" say hell not "outer darkness" mormonism isn't exactly that creative.

Outer darkness is hell of sorts. BTW I ain't a mormon

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
How's this for a clear-eyed look at this story....

Adam, Eve, and the Emergence of the Authoritarian Narrative

This is one of the most widely recognized stories to ever emerge from the shadows of antiquity, and to have done so with a transcendent relevance that still inspires millions of well educated people to think twice before dismissing it as folklore. It’s a fairly simple, straightforward tale, and it features simple and straightforward characters who engage in a very simple drama based on what comes of disobeying the commands of an authority figure. It shows up right away in the Book of Genesis, right after God pulls a rib off man and fashions him a mate to look after him and be his assistant. In fact, it’s the first thing that God’s man does with his mate, as far as the bible is concerned, and in that sense, it’s the most important thing that man needs to get straighten out on, again, as far as the bible is concerned.

The rule was simple. Don’t eat of the fruit on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Of course, we can easily determine that this is metaphoric terminology, and most likely refers to man’s discovery of a choice to be obedient or disobedient. “Eating the fruit” – taking in the knowledge of, and “fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil” – the fact that disobedience is not only possible, it’s also a choice that exists for each person to consider from moment to moment. So, in this charming story, Adam and his sidekick, Eve, decide to disobey, and even though nobody lost a limb over the two bites into that one piece of fruit, it wasn’t about the damage done, it was about the very notion of choosing to disobey a direct order that had been issued by the one whose garden it was. The master of the property. The immediate result was predictable, and even though God loved Adam and Eve, his authority was sacred, and they had to be punished.

Now, in this specific narrative, the writer adds a wrinkle that serves to provide further instruction to the reader, as it concerns extenuating circumstances and other gray areas. He introduces the serpent as the real bad guy in this tale, and shows how the two humans were fairly innocent – relatively speaking – as the whole of the situation unfolded. They’d been tempted – bamboozled into breaking the law – so it wasn’t as if they’d conspired to disobey the rules. In fact, they’d done so without really spending any real amount of time thinking about it. It just sort of happened; in their experience of it all, at least.

Of course, it wasn’t that way with the serpent. That serpent was evil through and through, and it had worked to deceive the woman into honestly believing that it was okay if she went ahead and just took one little bite to see what all the fuss was about. And it wasn’t as if God (who, by the way, is omnipresent and omniscient) reacted right away to her transgression. In fact, it appears as if He allowed her to tempt Adam into doing the same thing, and without the snake’s help this time. It was then that God dropped by and pointed out that they now (apparently for the first time ever) realized that they were naked (I still don’t understand what that has to do with knowledge of good and evil), convicting them on the spot as having broken the rules, and then tossing them out into the rest of the cold, nasty planet that He’d originally created for them (oddly enough).

Great story, but what does it tell us about the people who fashioned it and stapled it up as humanity’s first real interaction with the Almighty? It almost seems redundant to even continue, but for the sake of word count, let’s go ahead and translate this classic for the two or three that may not be connecting the dots.

We’ve got an all-powerful character, who has given food, shelter and security to two lesser characters, and hasn’t asked anything from them in return, except for adherence to a few simple and well defined rules. These rules are pretty easy to follow, and you kind of have to go out of your way to violate them. It’s also clear that following these rules means a lot to the master of the place. In fact, everything seems like it’d be pretty sweet as long as the rules are followed, even though no overt threats have ever been issued concerning the ramifications. No need to stink up the place with that kind of negativity if it’s not necessary. But then, as we see things play out, maybe a small example of that negativity would have been helpful at the beginning. Maybe even a bit more than a little, in fact. Better to take a touch of the negative up front if it’ll prevent having to deal with a complete storm in the end, but then, that’s a subjective call.

What isn’t subjective is the fact that once the rules were broken, punishment was swift and certain, and it didn’t matter that the infraction involved the two who sat at the center of the master’s whole world or not. It also didn’t matter whose idea it was to begin with. Even if the perpetrator had been tempted, coerced, swindled, or prodded into breaking the rules, the bottom line was that the rules had been broken, and punishment was required. Hard, rigid, authoritarian style legal certainty – one strike, and you’re out – clearly established as the absolute definition of perfect justice by the God of heaven and earth, Himself. Now, that’s some heavy lifting for such a simple little story.

Do I really have to explain the reason for such a story, and who stood to directly benefit from its embrace as the true and accurate account of the “fall of man”? With the privileged few, struggling so mightily with their fear of the disenfranchised many, and their wits as their only shield against what they know to be the overwhelming force of sheer numbers that belongs to that terrifying many, what was needed was a god that punished the rule breakers with a ruthlessly divine justice. No excuses, no pardons, no second chances, no defense whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Very nicely put. Thanks. But who is to know why God did so and so. He has magnificient plans.
He has now given a second chance thru Christ Jesus. All are welcome to avail of His second chance, while it is still available.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons ?

I hope most are intelligent enough to see the relevance of the question.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

No, because god doesn't have a belly button and they were made in god's image
However, I do believe that also means they did have long white beards and a vindictive streak

Am I the only person that finds it a little funny listening to people try and fit scientific facts into the rigid and unimaginative framework of biblical "history"?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by USAFJetTech

I guess you are not intelligent enough to see the relevance of the question.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by savvys84

I don't understand the question in the OP. "If God only made Adam/Eve where did their sons find wives?" The answer is pretty simple from their daughters. The sons of Adam married the daughters of Adam. The genetic code was perfect so there was no stigma from having children with birth defects that all came about after the flood.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join