It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 Garden

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick show of my gardens for this year. The rain stopped for a week or so and the nursery shops have been very busy here, rain is predicted for tomorrow. I've been busy digging up my raised garden from last year and preparing the usual spot we plant tomatoes.

Last year in my raised garden I planted cucumbers, okra, squash, and radishes. I planted everything too close together from what I gather now, but I ended up with a ton of okra, cucumbers, and squash. It was hard to tell when the radishes were ready to be picked and being too close together quite a few ended up being very small.

The normal area we plant things in usually only includes tomatoes and different types of pepper plants but I've set aside one spot to plant a few of my own goodies.

This first picture is of my raised garden I made last year as an experiment to see what I could grow. I haven't expanded on it but through the winter months I added different organic material as fertilizer. Most recent in the picture you can see eggshell from excess easter eggs that were turned into pickled eggs. I didn't add any of the egg shells that were dyed for egg hunting.

This year I've planted more okra, cucumbers, squash, garlic, and radishes. I spaced the radishes out a bit more to see if they would grow better. If they don't I'll move the radishes to the far back next year.. It's all trial and error for me at this point

This next picture is an overall view of the normal planting area. My dad designed the house and surrounding buildings and he liked his plants around the shed by the pond. It's not that big but it gives you an idea of what we're working with.

This is the new area I set aside to plant seeds I wanted to try out this year. I planted two okra plants, a bit of spinach, radishes... and I tried lettuce and broccoli. I'm not sure how it will work out but at least I'll end up with some radishes and okra

These last few are the tomatoes I planted today. I arrived at the nursery right as they were unloading the truck... there were a ton of people there. I planted regular tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. The lady at the nursery told me with limited space like I am working with I could double up the tomatoes and treat them as one plant, that is why they are so close together. I figure if one dies oh well.. I have more. Hopefully I get plenty of tomatoes, too

I was inspired by a thread on raised gardens last year and I've been having fun with it. Maybe this thread will inspire someone else to go out and plant their own garden.. there's nothing better than relying on your own produce. It's good practice for when you REALLY need to survive on only what you know.

I hope any post after this contains their own gardens for this year, or at least comments on mine and how I can improve. I'm very interested in seeing what others are doing to produce their own fruits and veggies. I'll post some pictures after I get a few sprouts going and producing some eddibles.

also: sorry the pictures are cut off, even though I took them with my phone it seems they are too big to be viewed fully on the thread page. If you are interested check out the album 2010 garden in my profile. here is a link to it:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

you'll have to click the 2010 album link once you load the page, the post will not let me directly link to the album for some reason.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Estharik]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to last frost here. I started my own seedlings this year so I could get the variety of tomatoes I wanted. (Early Girl = ick) So far I have cherry tomatoes in Sungold (yellow), Snow White (white) and Sweet Cluster (red). Roma and Heinz 57 for canning. Goliath for slicing. Sub Artic and Glacier to send to my mom in Michigan (last yr she didn't get any set due to cold weather) And an interesting new one, Burgess Stuffing Tomato.

Peppers seeding are California Wonder, Chinese Giant, Fooled You Jalapeno, Fish Pepper and Hot Paper Lantern. Next up in the seeding station (5 shelf unit with 4 grow lights and 3 heat mats) are cucumber, squash and bean varieties. I sowed sugar peas, radish, beet, lettuce, spinach and rainbow chard outside two weeks ago and need to thin out. Remember, radishes and the like can always be thinned!

Due to the poor soil and contractor fill here, we're using 4x8 raised beds with a 33/33/33 mix of local top soil, bagged garden soil and peat.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hi Estharik,

What a great area for some Veggies! i was looking at your soil and I think you should run a tiller over the area about 4-6 inches down and also break up the larger rocks and dirt. You could also add in some Fox Farm Ocean Forrest Soil www.planetnatural.com... 15.00 a bag (I paid $20.00 at the grow store).

I had pictures off my gardens last year, but my hard drive crapped out. I can say everything was HUGE!!! Tomatoes the size of grapefruits and dark dark red. Hit me up to talk gardening, I love it!

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

You have some very interesting plant names listed there! The only tomatoes that were available were "100 cherry" and "celebrity" so I took both. I love peppers though, I saw some red cayenne pepper plants for sale and I was very tempted to pick them up but I don't think I have enough room.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sourdiesel

I wish I had access to a tiller but sadly I did everything by shovel/hand. I went pretty deep digging the area up and got quite a few big chunks of near solid dirt from it. I went back through and tried to break it down with a combination of chopping with the shovel and smashing it with my hand. The area I think you're talking about is back by the shed... nothing has been planted there for a while and the soil was very compact. The raised garden from last year was made with bagged soil from wal-mart so it wasn't near as bad as in the back area. If I keep this up I'll need to buy a tiller. Last year I tried to make a garden in another spot not shown that is about 10x20 foot. The soil was very hard and this year I didn't plant anything there because I didn't want to dig it all up again, plus there's a ton of blackberries growing

If I get a tiller I can expand my operation, thank you for the input

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Good start, I can't wait to see the updated pictures in a couple months!

Don't forget to sweet talk those plants! They can pick up on your vibes you know!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

You couldn't be more right! Never ever go near your growing food if you are angry or mad, they can pick up on that. They like being "talked" to, and they love music classical music and Tool for some reason.

YOu maybe able to rent a tiller or put out a craigslist for one to use for a few hours? Or have someone come in and do it with theirs.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Awesome gardeing guys. Me and my girlfriend are thinking of starting one this year at her house. I live in an apartment and it just isnt condusive to growing things lol. We also do not have access to a tiller and i tried telling her you can do a garden without one but she insists we need one. I live in souther texas and was thinking of doing tomatoes because everyone does them here but i also like peppers alot. Any other suggestions of what we could plant that is fairly easy to grow?

Take it easy and good gardening guys.
Wish us luck.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Hey Fizzy1! Don't feel left out there are options for apartment living if you have the Inventors spirit, check out Window Farms.

www.windowfarms.org...
our.windowfarms.org...

Use any existing window with Sunlight and some plastic bottles or jugs.

This is DIY!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Check out these hanging tomato planters, they work my Grandmother has a few of them.

www.topsygardening.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

By all means, at least try! It doesn't take a tiller to grow things, only a bit of work in the ground. Before I started my garden I've grown pumpkins. They are very hard to grow here (I'm in southern Louisiana) but just seeing the giant leaves was enough to get me going. There's very few feelings that rival finishing up a task like planting your own produce.

I would suggest tomatoes like you said, and peppers. My dad always grew peppers and tomatoes and they never failed. I myself have been experimenting with different plant types and I find okra goes very well where I am at. The squash I have planted came from a local nursery via seed. They're some kind of yellow hybrid I believe, blue and white seeds. I had so much squash last year I couldn't give it away.

If you are set on a certain plant you do want to grow, check with your local nursery and see what times are good to plant them along with the spacing. Local places tend to give better advice than places like wal-mart.

Start simple and with what you like. If nothing else just plant some seeds of whatever you want and see if they grow. There's always next year if it doesn't work out, just remember to take care of the sprouts you do get.

Good luck to you sir!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Hello,
I guess it depends how far you want or need to drive to local rural areas surrounding your cities. And, if you can raise chickens where you live.

I bring this up because farmers who raise cows have endless amounts of superior natural fertilizer they'd almost give for free. It depends I guess upon who's hauling it!

You could raise chickens, and not necessarily have to have a rooster, I think. There is a scratch-mix combo, I think, maybe I am wrong. Farm supply/feed stores can answer those questions. They'll have baby chicks for sale! Chickens who lay eggs also produce a good source of fertilizer. I'm sure someone's Grandma can give butchering techniques from days of old, if and when it's decided to serve as a meal!

Pigeons multiply pretty good too, with the same benefits as chickens. It's been some years since I've had pigeon though.

Bunnies are good eating too, easy to raise.
I apologize, I just now realized this thread is devoted to vegetables!!

Corn. Carrots, potatoes, onions, root veggies, mmm. Cauliflower. Northwest; Still too rainy. But I'm excited!

[edit on (4/6/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik

You have some very interesting plant names listed there! The only tomatoes that were available were "100 cherry" and "celebrity" so I took both. I love peppers though, I saw some red cayenne pepper plants for sale and I was very tempted to pick them up but I don't think I have enough room.

Picked up the cool seeds at www.tomatogrowers.com/. They sell nightshade plants only - tomato, pepper and eggplant. I really want to see the stuffing tomatoes. They look like green peppers and are hollow on the inside so you can stuff them like peppers. Yummy.

I've been using this www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now.aspx as a helpful tool on when to seed and transplant.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thanks for that link to the "what to plant now" site! It seems I've planted a few things a bit late but hopefully they will grow nice. I've never bought any seeds online before but I might give it a shot. I have some eggplant seeds I bought but I don't know where to put them really. I'll probably save them for next year.

I'm not sure about the stuffing tomatoes but my dad used to go to Mexico a lot and he would buy these semi-long hollow peppers that he would stuff with anything from chicken to shrimp, add some rice and cheese... they are very good.

If you have any advice on eggplants that would be great, I have some potting buckets left but I am not sure if they would grow properly.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Hey I'm planting myself ty for the info...
I wanted to add my opinion of a very "got to have" crop...
I'm pressed for time, so I'm just mentioning this..I'll try to add a link.

Sweet Potatoes......
Look them up, and get some started.
They are self reproducing, rich in vitamins, and have no need to be cultivated, "no storage"..just leave em in the ground until you need/want one.
They have many many more uses than just food also..

This link don't have all the uses but its got a good list of nutrients and some uses..
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread, made me cry.

I still have snow on the ground. lol

Good to see new faces on here talking about gardening. Nothing can be more survival orientated than growing your own food.

Ive used raised beds for years, treat them with horse manure in the fall and then water with "horse tea" huge and bountifull veggies.

About a month or month and a half before I can put my seedlings outside, but I hope to catch up with you warm weather folk.

Good luck, and good luck finding a tiller.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hello,

I found it peculiar, even odd that this thread didn't get flagged. This is a good thread and deserves way more attention.

Or, I guess people don't care about self-preservation, if even it be at the hobby-level. What're they gonna do, come still from our gardens when all the grocery stores have been looted???

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I thought I would give you guys a quick update and post some picture for those of you who are interested what some of these plants look like when they sprout.

This is a cucumber sprout. I only planted cucumbers up front and so far it looks like they all sprouted. I have about 8 of them this year.

This is one of my garlic sprouts. I planted two cloves that started to sprout in the kitchen, so it was kind of cheating but they're getting bigger

This is one of my okra sprouts. So far I have 6 total in the front and back that have came up, and possibly 2 more I planted in an egg carton to get going if one does not survive.

Radish sprout... they take up a good big of space but what little bit I set aside I should have enough radishes for a few salads
So far I have about a dozen that have come up. I planted both red and white radishes.

This is my only squash so far. I only planted 3 this year because of how much extra squash I got last year but maybe I should have planted a couple more. I have some in the egg carton to replace the ones that did not sprout.

Last year I couldn't even get the broccoli to go this far. All the spots I have planted it in have come up, with some extras next to it.

Same for the lettuce, except a whole lot more in one spot. I had a hard time with the seeds because they're so small and thin. I didn't expect to get a patch like that though. If someone knows for sure if I should pull up the extras or just let it grow, please let me know.

I know most all of the plants look the same but there are slight differences. It reminds me of when they compare embryos of the early stages of different animals or humans... how similar they are. Hope you guys enjoy and your own gardens are coming along. I'll post again after you can really tell what each plant is going to be.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
How is this garden coming along? No updates since April..

I am curious to how it looks.. I am thinking of starting something like 3 months ago.. But I am still trying to figure out what how and where to do it. I have alot of space I can do it in its just this area has flyash and I am not sure if I wanna just do a full raised garden or just tear the ground up and do it like that..

Raised garden i see a benefit to it is you wont have to lean over everything and make a mess walking through everything..

Actual garden I can have alot of stuff in a big area.. I dont know..

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I've never tried to add pictures before, I'm going to try....

This is my garden. I'm into using what I can get, so there's not a lot of money in it.

This is an old hot tub that could not be fixed.

A bed that was messed up

Some small pines that had to come down - see, I have free range chickens, so all my plots have to be protected or they will eat it all up.

the old pool - it is now completely planted with eggplants and tomatoes. When I took this, we'd just got started.

Some Solstice Herbs

There's a few more in my photo album. I think it is visible to everyone. I grow A LOT of herbs, culinary and medicinal.

Here's one more I'll add - a lot of people seem fascinated that you can grow plants in concrete blocks - but it's a great way to do it - I've done it for years - my grandmother grew her strawberries this way. I grow basil and peppers mainly.

edit on 22-6-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join