It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks may not be what you think it is...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It seems that the OP was not very careful and used an email that could be traced back to him. This leads me to suspect that he did not encrypt the data he was sending. If so then I suspect a man in the middle attack that did a trace back to his computer. I am sorry but nothing is "untraceable" on the internet. When your computer froze I suspect the government was inside your computer downloading your drive. Did you look at the drive light?

I highly suspect that the data just outside of the wikileaks website is being sniffed. When a hit on specific data is made a script is run.

Just an FYI if you do this in the future. Create a new email during that session for only this purpose and no other using onion routing and Wi-Fi. Encrypt the data you will send and give specific instructions that they will receive the key later. When you send the key put it into a forum elsewhere and direct them to it. Create the forum account linked to the newly created email account. The best security though would be to have a bot do all of this automatically from a computer very far away. The bot would read the email reply and send the encrypted reply to the forum account.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Intelligence agencies are organisations which possess the professional know-how to detect moles. They use various precautions to prevent moles from entering their ranks. Nonetheless moles have infiltrated all kinds of intelligence agencies. Not every mole gets caught.

People working for intelligence organisations have also infiltrated all kinds of news media in the past. Furthermore, they have created publishing companies for propaganda purposes and as cover for other activities. Intelligence agenices have a natural interest in developing stories and whistleblowers, who pose security leaks. The media has also been used to disseminate selected true and false stories for propaganda purposes.

So I think it is naive to assume, that an organisation like Wikileaks cannot be infiltrated by moles. This is an uneducated guess, but I am pretty sure, that intelligence agencies have a definitely interest to infiltrate a genuine whistleblower-organisations. They could also be the creators of such an organisation.

People have started to use the public domain to leak incriminating information. This is embarrassing to some organisations and poses also a threat to natural security. The idea to guide and contain leaked information by creating a special “whistleblower organisation” is IMHO not very far fetched. Assuming Wikileaks is a front. A front must nonetheless publish lots of genuine information. To function and attract security leaks, a front needs a genuine appearance. Leakage of some damaging information will be taken into the account. For the intelligence service, it is the net effect that counts. Eliminating security leaks is more important, than punishing whistleblowers. As long as no government toppling stuff or information, which will shine a really bad light on it's creators (various intelligence agencies often compete with one another) is published, the front will also publish some damaging information.

I think it may be smart to watch Wikileaks. What kind of information will be leaked in times of geopolitical crisis? If there is a recognizable pattern, Wikileaks is either played like a harp by guided leaked secrets, or it is a front for an intelligence agency. Anyhow, there is the danger of moles and secret surveillance. Any whistleblower who uses Wikileaks is in my opinion good advised to leak his information with a maximum of precautions.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

It could just be a coincedence, What is your operating system on your computer? as well what web browser did you use?

Unless you accepted some script from wikileaks its impossible to be hacked within one second, it takes time to sniff for open ports then connect to them. Unless you were Ddosd which is very possible, I'm goping to attempt the same thing as you did, but Will watch all connections coming and going from my computer, I will find the origination and let you know about wikileaks as Internet Security is what I know best in this world.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

I absolutely agree. TPTB have demonstrated in the past that they do stuff like this.

My biggest issue though, is a lack of any real evidence.

I do not, in any way assume that Wikileaks could NOT be a ploy, same as I do not assume that they are.

My beef is when people make loaded claims without ANY form of substantial or circumstantial evidence to support their claim.

I have worked technical support: trust me, there is a laundry list of things that could cause your computer to freeze. Government spying is the very last thing on that list. (note that it is not off the list though).
Please dont suggest a frozen computer is evidence for guilt.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah I read it might be a front operation on ATS a while ago (was it your thread?) and I looked it up. Ever since they posted that editorial about being tracked and spied on I was suspicious. Especially when they made it sound like a cheap paperback, saying things like 'we cracked their encryption'. I mean maybe they did crack an encryption but it came off as trying to get attention, like they put it out for entertainment value. Sketchy.

With a good craybot(s) the ATS or Wikileaks one person gets may not be the same as a second person gets... Source may be irrelevant...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LuxFestinus

Dude sorry but you can't get hacked in seconds while uploading a file. I'm taking the word of the author that his computer was secure, which then would take longer (assuming secure means firewall and all, not just norton) even then, not wanting to reveal the info at this point is just plain stupid.

If, and that is a big IF, they traced him and froze his computer, they would know where to find him pretty quick. Then he comes here and talks about it, giving them more info to find him.

Either, A: this guy is disinfo

B: looking for attention on ATS

C: is just too stupid to know how to properly channel classified information

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

hahaha, thanks. Thats the other route I could have taken.

I am glad at least someone put it in those words.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
dbl post....

[edit on 7-4-2010 by pynner]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My browser somtimes shuts down when i visit ATS...It also does it if im on justin.tv....is that a conspiracy now? Hmmmmm I think JTV is monitoring my computer! Im sorry but you dont have any evidence of Wiki being a government disinfo website so like I say to all people without evidence...you did not convince me..

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a pc freezing up when sending a file is nothing to be concerned about, happens all the time. I would be concerned about sending anything confidential over internet though, especially to an entity or someone you don't know. I doubt it's some plot to entrap you.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by K J Gunderson

It wasn't junk.

I can't be any more specific about the content at this time.

There was enough to raise interest, and with more evidence submitted would have been verifiable.

I didn't submit more (thankfully), and I am not going to, I'll have to find another way.

Still confused here. Either you sent them something important or you did not. Which is it? I am not trying to attack or pick at you but the story just seems a little flimsy at the moment. You say you sent them something but you did not fall for their trap by sending them anything really but you cannot say what you did send them because it was something and not junk. Do you at least understand my confusion here?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Think you've been watching too much television.

Interesting theory though

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think the problem is that there is so much mistrust in the world right now, caused by years of deception and disinformation by government and the vested interest that people now don't believe in anything anymore. It is like throwing away the baby with the bath water.

You will probably never know for sure..but I chose to believe that somebody out there has integrity and good intentions..(maybe I am naive).

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You computer froze up and crashed probably because it's full of viruses and sucks. I just sent them a video of "My Little Pony" and it went through fine.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Tom_Proctor]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Upon inquiry on ATS issue thread I found out that proof or sources is not necessary for threads on Conspiracy Section. So I take my words back to move this thread to Skunkwork or Hoax.

However, I am still unhappy that the author of thread has provided no proof to back his claim thus I have no reason to believe him, no offense to the author.

Originally posted by 911stinks
reply to post by December_Rain

What are you, the internet police? A conspiracy is unproven, speculation put together through coincidental facts.The responses by the govt disinfo agents seem to confirm the OP's suspicions.Nice work boys. Thanks for revealing the truth, by trying to hide it.

Actually no, I believe in free internet without any filter. The only reason I said what I said was due to previous experience if my threads being moved with reason stated that there was no proof or sources provided. Until today I believed that was the criteria to create thread on Conspiracy section, till I inquired again today on the ATS issue thread.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I saw this thread and just wanted to pop in and say 'hi' to the pentagon disinformation team.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I tend to give the OP the benefit of the doubt here.

Think about it, if so many countries try to ban WL, if WL is such a treat to governments, then why is it still there?
People and 'things' have disapeared for less... shouldn't be to hard for a government organisation

WL is still here... does that mean it is winning the battle? Against the world gov's? Against all those high ranked ritch criminal people who's rep and money is at stake??? wow...that would be a first.

IMO

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

This is so weird...

Literally, last night I posted something similar on someone elses thread.

I was hypothesizing that TPTB are allowing wikileaks to operate, if they dont control it themselves.

I was actually in the process of starting my own thread on this exact same issue, I was in the process of researching a few leads.

I was going to disclose that I too had a similar experience, sending information to wiki.

I suggest we tread carefully, I personally feel like the govt has had enough with conspiracy theorists and are moving to silence and discredit.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join