It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Governor recognizes April as Confederate History Month

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

McDonnell recognizes April as Confederate History Month

Gov. Bob McDonnell says this afternoon the Sons of Confederate Veterans asked him to sign the proclamation recognizing April as Confederate History Month. He said it was “worthy of doing,“ so that people can begin to understand more about Civil War history in Virginia. McDonnell, speaking with reporters on a conference call about another topic, also pointed to next year’s sesquicentennial of the beginning of the Civil War. Asked why his proclamation did not mention slavery, McDonnell said that in issuing the proclamation he was not focusing on that aspect of the state’s past.

King Salim Khalfani with the state’s chapter of the NAACP, who has battled previous governors over such proclamations, said that the executive committee of the Virginia state NAACP will meet this weekend to address this and their other concerns about McDonnell. “The Civil War is one thing. His (proclamation) says Confederate History Month,“ Khalfani said. “He is extolling the Confederacy by naming this Confederate History Month.“ Del. Kenneth C. Alexander, D-Norfolk, chairman of the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus, said in a statement that McDonnell’s proclamation offered a “disturbing revision” of the Civil War and the “brutal era” that followed.

www2.timesdispatch.com...

Umm...yeah. Why don't you create some jobs you POS. This man also wants to privatize Social Security.

He's my HERO!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Good on the governor. Hopefully this will get more people to see that the civil war was NOT about slavery, but about state's rights.

It is sad that he is already being branded a racist.

Edit: Spelling

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
He's my savior!

This guy is an absolute tool. The only reason he is doing this is so that he will gain right-wing lunatic points.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This guy is an absolute tool. The only reason he is doing this is so that he will gain right-wing lunatic points.

Exactly...catering to his base.

He just locked up all the racist votes (I'm not calling everyone that votes for him RACIST btw). We all know it's true. We can talk about state rights all night...but any white supremacists out there probably just donated to his campaign fund.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I am a yankee (no one is perfect) but my relatives many years back were confederate...I salute it...

Why not have it...if the naacp can have black history month and a holiday for everything else around... why not this???

good for goose and gander...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think the governor is playing to those on the extreme right, which is rapidly replacing the merely conservative Republican party.

This proclamation no doubt appeals to those who hate the government and have fantasies about seceding from the Union. That has been tried before, of course, with disastrous consequences, but people don't seem to learn from history anymore.

Virginia is a state that is meantime gradually becoming blue. It went for Obama in 08.

It remains to be seen how long this governor and his attorney general will last before they are ousted.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Accidental double post.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Let's see...the bulk of battles fought in the east during the Civil War were fought in Virginia...

most anyone with family in Virginia for more than 3 generations probably had someone that fought in the Civil War....

Civil War is a goodly portion of the tourist industry in Va...

The capitol of the Confederacy was Richmond, VIRGINIA...

Sounds like a good move to me. And it would be a great opportunity to educate about the evils of slavery, the argument for states rights versus a big federal government, and the effort by both sides to subside the animosity of war and rebuild a nation...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
i agree that its sad hes already being called a racist and all these civil rights people are already up in arms over it... THEY are the ones being racist and biast. southern people have a RIGHT to celebrate a part of their history damnit. im from new york personaly but it is my belief that the civil war had nothing to do with slavery as an issue of the war. the north made it one for propaganda reasons. was it wrong? sur eit was.. was the south gonna keep blacks as slaves forever, hell no.. NEWSLFASH: blacks fought for the confederacy too, as free men. quit playin the damn racism card, i hate it..

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
I am a yankee (no one is perfect) but my relatives many years back were confederate...I salute it...

Why not have it...if the naacp can have black history month and a holiday for everything else around... why not this???

good for goose and gander...

I think we need to get rid of black history month. It is racist because it is createing an entire month for an entire 'group' of people and categorizing them.

Like I stated before he is just playing for points from the right-wing fringe. I never stated that this is a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well at least they want to talk about History.

Most people would rather just ignore History, and accept a few sound-byte statements like "They were all racist slave owners!".

The truth is far more complex than the politically correct will admit.

Not all Confederates were pro-slavery. This is fact.

Also, the war was not about slavery in the first place. That was just a side-detail.

The main focus and reasoning for the war, was State Rights vs Federal Authority.

And the states got their rears kicked by the Federal Govt. It was horrifically bloody.

People who try to center the Civil War on slavery are terribly ignorant of the real reasons behind the war.

Having a Confederate History month will hopefully help this knowledge spreading.

And maybe this demonization of the Confederates by the victors will cease, and EVERYONE KNOWS they are demonized big time! They were dirty racist slave owners right?? WRONG!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Man, if it was up to the Southern Poverty Law Center and the NAACP, the Civil War would be completely stricken from public school history textbooks, and Confederate flags would be completely banned from public display.

Because, in their efforts to dumb-down America, these racist organizations are pursuing the tactics employed by tyrants all throughout history — erasing all historical mention of their perceived enemies to prevent successive generations from learning the Truth of their heritage.

Anyone who has studied the American Civil War — and that includes military strategists worldwide — knows that the War of Northern Aggression was a battle of States' Rights versus Central Government tyranny over the States. The South didn't secede in order to perpetuate slavery any more than the North started to war to end slavery.

Fact is, slavery wasn't a primary factor in the North's decision to attack and subdue the South. Economics, Industry and Agricultural Commerce were the primary factors — the North needed the South, whereas the South didn't particularly need the North in order to survive.

Of course, Abe Lincoln's stated objective in prosecuting the war was to "save the Union"; ending slavery wasn't even on Lincoln's "to do" list, and he said as much.

But today's true racists — those who persist in playing the "race card" to advance their respective agendas — are trying to rewrite history, to breathe credibility into the myth that the South was a hotbed of white-on-black racism.

Anyone who thinks the South was evil and the North was benevolent needs but to examine the way freed blacks were treated all across America following the Civil War.

Oops.

Throughout the Reconstruction and on into the 20th Century, it seems that blacks were shunned from "civilized society" even in the great and noble North. Those blacks who declined the Federal government's offer of "40 acres and a mule" and who sought the opportunities available to free men in northern cities discovered that they weren't exactly welcomed with open arms; indeed, more often than not, blacks found themselves relegated to shanty-towns on the outskirts of the "big city," which later gave rise to the urban slums and ghettos we know so well today.

And the demeaning exploitation of blacks in early cinema sure as hell didn't take place down in the South — it was the liberal cesspool known as Hollywood that kept blacks down on the plantation throughout the first half of the 20th Century.

It is interesting to note that our modern racists have, in fact, succeeded in banning some classic cinema, simply because it depicts a different era in American history — when was the last time you saw the legendary Disney film, Song of the South, or any of the many cinematic treatments of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer?

I grew up with those films (and books) — but, today, you'd be lucky to meet a young person who has even heard of Uncle Remus or Tom Sawyer. Political correctness and racist ignorance have driven those works underground.

Just so, it is racist ignorance that is behind the crusade to erase the existence of the Confederacy from our collective memory. You know why, of course. It's because the Confederacy almost won against the Central Government.

And we simply CAN'T allow examples of anti-government thinking to persist.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Good on the governor. Hopefully this will get more people to see that the civil war was NOT about slavery, but about state's rights.

It is sad that he is already being branded a racist.

Edit: Spelling

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

Apparently you are blissfully unaware that nowhere in his statement did he mention states' rights, and for someone who is supposedly extolling the contributions of Confederate society, it's very odd he makes no mention of the slaves that supported the Southern economy, but since I guess the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, it's okay not to mention that the South did indeed live off the backs of an enslaved people?

The entire proclamation extolled Confederate soldiers who eventually lost due to the Unions' "insurmountable numbers and resources", and then goes on to welcome [apparently] like-minded people to remember the sacrifices of the brave Confederate soldiers.

Odd how many citizens will brush aside the issue of slavery in the Civil War, and then conveniently forget to attribute the South's livelihood to the work of a brutally enslaved people.

ETA:

Because, in their efforts to dumb-down America, these racist organizations are pursuing the tactics employed by tyrants all throughout history — erasing all historical mention of their perceived enemies to prevent successive generations from learning the Truth of their heritage.

Texas Board of Education cuts Thomas Jefferson out of its textbooks.

Source

Despite all of your ranting, the coin does have two sides. But I digress, and wait for your weighty reply explaining why it was totally awesome for the far-right Texas board to completely remove Thomas Jefferson from state curriculum.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Avenginggecko]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
but since I guess the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, it's okay not to mention that the South did indeed live off the backs of an enslaved people?

How odd is it that you won't even acknowledge that the North profited from slave labor even more so than the South? The industrialized North was positively dependent on the raw agricultural resources of the South (e.g. "King Cotton").

No, the Confederacy weren't the villains. But they were made the villains through decades of historical revision.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Who said I did not acknowledge this? It isn't New York or Vermont calling for the removal of black history month. North Eastern "leftists" aren't trying to completely remove the issue of slavery from the Civil War. Maine has no declared "Union Soldiers Remembrance Month".

You assume too much.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
I digress, and wait for your weighty reply explaining why it was totally awesome for the far-right Texas board to completely remove Thomas Jefferson from state curriculum.

The "far-right Texas Board" of Education? Are you on crack? Please provide sources proving the "far-right" inclination of the Texas Board of Education. I'm from Texas, and its educational curriculum has always been left-leaning, teaching the myth of the "Evil South" as far back as the 1960s, when I was in grammar school.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

So . . . you still think the war was about slavery.

Do some research, which is, as I stated, what is hope others will do with this proclamation

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
As both a Virginia resident and descendant of people who fought for the Confederacy I applaud this measure. I do NOT applaud Bob McDonnel.
Khalfani is a loudmouth who moans every time someone wants to do anything concerning the Confederacy, as if somehow STUDYING HISTORY would lead to GLORIFICATION of the Southern Cause. He's one of the Richmond local reactionaries who get their way by crying racism.
Those of us who love the Confederacy don't need a Confederate history month to raise it's esteem in our eyes.
My ancestors fought for various reasons, none told me why so I am only left to guess but since none of them owned slaves I doubt very much they joined the rebellion to defend slavery. Most who did fight for the South did so because we had become 2 different nations, and that "other" nation had invaded the south. It is not my place to judge my ancestors, it is my place to remember their lives and celebrate my lineage.
I am glad for an official opportunity to celebrate my history openly. It is my right as much as anyone else's to celebrate and remember theirs. If you don;t think we need a Confederate History month let me ask you a question:
Do you know who John Brown Gordon is? If you don't that's exactly why we NEED it. Great Americans should NOT be forgotten.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
yeah, state rights. the state's right to own slaves. trying to leave out slavery as a cause is being dishonest.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Btw Doc, loved your response but I wanted to point out something about the 40 acres and a mule myth. Yes. it did actually happen, and by General Shermans' order BUT he was quickly overruled by the War Dept. and the offer was retracted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join