It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all of these earthquakes just coincidences?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ok, I recently read a news report that there was another 7.7 earthquake just today. This time in Sumatra.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

To my research, this is the 29th earthquake this year and 22nd earthquake of magnitude 6.0 or higher, and it is only April!
This may not seem like a big deal, but last year there were exactly 29 earthquakes over the span of the entire year, 23 of them 6.0 and higher!
In 2008 there were 24 earthquakes total and only 11 of them being 6.0 or higher.
There were 20 earthquakes in 2007, 16 being 6.0 or higher.

The frequency and magnitude of earthquakes appear to have been steadily increasing until this year when there was a massive spike in quakes and intensity.

Is there something going on with the tectonic plates or something else inside of the Earth like disturbances in the inner/outer core that has caused this huge spike? Could it be a celestial influence like an unknown radiation affecting the mantle? Or could it be man-made?

What do you think?
To be honest I am not sure what could be causing this massive spike.

Edit: It should be noted that there are thousands of earthquakes each year, however the data I gathered only includes those of measurable magnitude (IE nothing below a 2.0).

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 4/6/2010 by SG-17]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
NO

This is either a world record or a fricking joke

Never have I heard of so many violent quakes with such scope and frequency

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am glad that you did research and provided numbers from past years. I am also finding it very interesting how many quakes there have been.

Thank you for this thread.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

In that case you may be interested in reading my thread:
"Earthquakes: An analysis Indicating Increasing Frequency and Severity"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/4/10 by tauristercus]

[edit on 6/4/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Nibiru is on its way, wasnt one of the theories as it gets closer our weather changes and earthquakes intenseify

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
Nibiru is on its way, wasnt one of the theories as it gets closer our weather changes and earthquakes intenseify

Wouldn't the gravity from a Nirbiru greatly affect tides more than anything though?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think they are coincidental. It would either be alot of little ones or a few big ones. Then again im sure my logic in this isn't foolproof but it makes more sense than people like my brother freaking out over how the world is going to split into pieces and similar theories.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

Originally posted by KonigKaos

Wouldn't the gravity from a Nirbiru greatly affect tides more than anything though?

Excellent point.

The moon's gravitational pull does not cause the Earth's crust to break into pieces.

But it does cause the tides.

So I agree, If "Nibiru" was approaching and causing these earthquakes, there should be NOTICEABLE TIDAL events.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

To my research, this is the 29th earthquake this year and 22nd earthquake of magnitude 6.0 or higher, and it is only April!
This may not seem like a big deal, but last year there were exactly 29 earthquakes over the span of the entire year, 23 of them 6.0 and higher!
In 2008 there were 24 earthquakes total and only 11 of them being 6.0 or higher.
There were 20 earthquakes in 2007, 16 being 6.0 or higher.

I am sorry I have to nitpick here.

But when you said "There were 20 earthquakes in 2007, 16 being 6.0 or higher." I am utterly baffled.

Perhaps you mean "Significant Quakes" or something like this.

Because there are thousands or tens of thousands of earthquakes every year. Most of them being smaller than 1.5, of course.

We do not notice these quakes because they are so small (or in remote unpopulated locations).

But the seismographs clearly show they occur.

I am not debating your original assessment about the frequency of quakes, I am only debating the numbers you supplied (out of context).

All I am asking is for you to put context for these statistics so we can get a grip on what they mean.

Also, if possible, could you link us to where you conducted your research so we may be able to conduct similar research ourselves to see if we come up with the same figures you did??

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yes, I meant significant quakes. I made an annotation to my OP.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Government website I know, but I bolstered it with information from *gasp* Wikipedia.
en.wikipedia.org...:Earthquakes_in_2010
en.wikipedia.org...:Earthquakes_in_2009
en.wikipedia.org...:Earthquakes_in_2008
en.wikipedia.org...:Earthquakes_in_2007

Edit: I wish that it wouldn't separate the URLs. Though it should be pretty easy to follow.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Oh yeah, it is a total coincidence, nothing to see here.

-The level of eq's in diverse places is lessening, by 2012 we should have a totally quake free planet.

-The magnitude of quakes is getting smaller and less frequent all the time.

-The Sun is acting totally normal.

-There is zero chance that any undiscovered solar twin/brown dwarf is affecting the sun, or the earth in any way.

-The weather is totally normal, and getting better every day.

-The Yellowstone supervolcano is totally quiet.

-The 7.7 eq within 100 miles of Toba, was a fluke, and has nothing at all to do with the volcano.

-The 7.2 in baja, was no where even remotely close to the San Andreas fault, where there have been like 2000 earthquakes in the last 3 days. In fact those 2000 quakes are just heavy traffic on the interstate.

Have a nice day!!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I guess that it should be noted that my choice for the thread's title isn't my opinion but a way to garner attention to the thread.

Anyway, I have noticed very odd weather patterns the past few weeks as well as the quakes. I mean the average temperature over the past 3 weeks here in Pennsylvania has been about 80 degrees. 80 degrees in March and early April. In my 17 years of life, this is the first I have ever experienced this, at least the first I remember.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
if you really want to know what is causing the earthquakes and extreme weather take a good look at Gaia Theory I have said this in many other threads regarding the planet. I dont think people bother reading it though as noone has come back saying otherwise
. Also I have said in other threads that these will continue to increase until the planet reaches a balance but as long as man continues to alter that balance the greater the feedback going back into the earth.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by loner007]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

oh yes their is something very wrong..

the quakes are representing changes in position, and boys and girls life is all about position..

It is part of the form of the threads we exist in. It is reletive to what we exist in.

The weather has been weird for about a decade now..
Yet I am sure if we look further back in history we can see periods of massive earthquakes hence the formation of land masses ex. continents etc. moving thru time..

Weather can be viewed as well to diversify as well thru out history with little study. Hence the ice age, and also the mini ice age. In addition Deserts are actually growing.

Source Google.

this is part of what we exist in.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
hold on it's only going to get worse before it get's better.
where are our earthquake scientists? msm is saying little to nothing i just hope the truth to these weekly earthquakes is not as bad as my paranoid brain thinks it is

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Earthquakes in diverse places: Check

Wars and rumors of wars: Check

Hold on folks, this is just the beginning.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wolf Blitzer: The earthquake in Haiti, Southern California, Indonesia -- People are saying these are just coincidences, but I'm not buying it.
Jack Cafferty: I don't know, maybe somebody is trying to tell us something?

This was something I heard on The Situation Room some time between 3:40 and 3:50 PST (paraphrased). I'm still waiting to see somebody upload it. I've been looking for it, but since it just aired today, I don't think it's anywhere.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hi, quake watchers.

It is not my line of knowledge, but I would say:
one of the the reasons for all those quakes is
the weight distribution changes, caused by the
formerly "permanent" ices, melting everywhere on earth.

[ And there are other explanations of those
"inconveniences', in the link of the 2nd line
of my signature.]

Blue skies.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Sarcasm doesn't translate to well sometimes, and I hope that was... because that was either really funny or really stupid...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Frequency of Occurrence of Earthquakes

Magnitude Average Annually
8 and higher 1 ¹
7 - 7.9 17 ¹
6 - 6.9 134 ²
5 - 5.9 1319 ²
4 - 4.9 13,000
(estimated)
3 - 3.9 130,000
(estimated)
2 - 2.9 1,300,000
(estimated)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Quakes are nothing new at all as you can see from above and as posted by other members .

A better question might be is why the MSM is reporting Quakes as if this is some new trend ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join