It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Space station flies through big space storm

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Space station flies through big space storm
Astronaut captures rare view of station zooming through Earth's aurora
Space.com
updated 6:08 p.m. ET, Tues., April 6, 2010

An astronaut has captured the rare view of the International Space Station zooming through a dazzling display of Earth's aurora as the strongest geomagnetic storm of the year hit the planet.

In the stunning space aurora photo, the International Space Station is seen flying 220 miles (354 km) over an Earth lit up by eerie green auroras peppered by red hues. A Russian Soyuz spacecraft is backlit by the cosmic light show in the image.



More: www.msnbc.msn.com...




posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Nice, they blocked out the spiral!


I'll go see if there are other shots of this event.



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Nice, they blocked out the spiral!


I'll go see if there are other shots of this event.


I must have missed something.
What spiral?



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl
 


look closer at the pic theres a spiral in behind the space thing



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
thankyou very much for pointing that out I haven't noticed it even though i have looked at the pic 5 times



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz
It looks like a spiral... Couldn't they have taken a pic from the capsule instead? Looks like they could have gotten a far better shot from there now considering the astronauts have moved there for the time being for safety.



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I would have never noticed it.

But they don't seen to be that unusual.

photo.net...



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl
That's a good shot, I counted this one and another on google images but it seems like spirals aren't something common, but rather wavy patterns are more common, I think spiral auroras are on the rise, but why?



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
reply to post by Pauligirl
That's a good shot, I counted this one and another on google images but it seems like spirals aren't something common, but rather wavy patterns are more common, I think spiral auroras are on the rise, but why?



I don't know if it's so much as on the rise or if we are just more aware of it now.
This guy has some really cool looking ones:
www.fredrik..._broms.fotosidan.se/portfolios.htm

Well, the link doesn’t work

www.spaceweather.com...
Go to the first set, Fredrik Broms, and clik more

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Pauligirl]



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Is it me or does this just sound like some typical B.S. NASA explanation of something that is not typical in at all?

I guess what I'm saying is, do you guys really believe this is what they say it is? I realize the view is eclipsed but I have this feeling there is alot more going on in this picture than we are being told.

Of course I have no way to prove that and will probably be flamed for saying this but I for one believe there is something else at work here.

Just my two cents.



posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by noisemedia
Is it me or does this just sound like some typical B.S. NASA explanation of something that is not typical in at all?

I guess what I'm saying is, do you guys really believe this is what they say it is? I realize the view is eclipsed but I have this feeling there is alot more going on in this picture than we are being told.

Of course I have no way to prove that and will probably be flamed for saying this but I for one believe there is something else at work here.

Just my two cents.


There was a geomagnetic storm and there were auroras. You can verify that on other sites.
What do you think is going on?



posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by noisemedia
 


Nope, it's just you. Consider yourself flamed.


Seriously, If they were trying to hide something in this picture, don't you think they would... Oh, I don't know... NOT PUBLISH THE PICTURE?!

What some people to realize is that the folks at NASA are a lot more like The Lone Gunmen than The Smoking Man.

It depresses me to think that I might be showing my age with that analogy. *sigh*




top topics



 
2

log in

join