It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Military Project Going On In Nebraska?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hi all,

I've had an odd experience when driving into/around my Air Force base. (Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Ne)

Whenever I try to use my minivan's remote for opening/unlocking doors and the trunk, nothing happens.

The first time this happened, I was at the base commissary. One of the employees told me, "Yeah, they told us this was happening, but not to worry about it."

I kind of put this out of my mind for a few days. Then, I stopped at a nearby GoodWill (about 1 mile away from the base,) and the same thing happened again.

I've tested the minivan's remote key, and this ONLY happens in the base, or within a radius of a little more than a mile.

What could be causing this? Is there a mundane explanation for my minivan's remote key signal being "jammed"?

This sudden malfunctioning of the keys has never happened before, and is always able to be replicated in the vicinity of the base.

The conspiracy lover in me thinks it would be interesting if the military was testing some sort of cool high-tech device, but there may be some simple explanation.

Your guys' thoughts on this?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have no clue, but sure sounds interesting. I'll be watching for the replies in here. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It sounds as though they are using some sort of device that creates a signal of a similar wavelength to that of your remote.

It is probably something very mundane, as you already suggested.

It would be nice if this were something "cool", and "top secret", although, I doubt it.

You could try taking an old AM/FM radio and scan through the frequencies, to see what you can pick up. It would be worth doing this, and reporting back. You could pick up something interesting.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, it does seem like it may be a possibility for such a thing to be tested at that base simply because of the units that they have listed as being located there.
Offutt AFB Units

They hold a Communications Group and an Electronic Warfare Group as well there so considering that a radio signal jamming device would fall under their area of expertise but I don't know whether or not if they would really be the ones to test it, especially given as heavily populated as it is.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This has happened a lot of times before.

Military bases have been outfitted with radios that operate on the same frequencies or bandwidth that garage door openers, and other devices operate on.

This is why you are experiencing radio interference, because their radio output has far more energy behind it than your small devices.

So their signal easily jams your signal.

It is entirely mundane, as far as I can tell.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Darn, I was hoping for a good conspiracy.

Oh well, maybe another time.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparkofdivine
Hi all,

I've had an odd experience when driving into/around my Air Force base. (Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Ne)

Whenever I try to use my minivan's remote for opening/unlocking doors and the trunk, nothing happens.

The first time this happened, I was at the base commissary. One of the employees told me, "Yeah, they told us this was happening, but not to worry about it."

I kind of put this out of my mind for a few days. Then, I stopped at a nearby GoodWill (about 1 mile away from the base,) and the same thing happened again.

I've tested the minivan's remote key, and this ONLY happens in the base, or within a radius of a little more than a mile.

What could be causing this? Is there a mundane explanation for my minivan's remote key signal being "jammed"?

This sudden malfunctioning of the keys has never happened before, and is always able to be replicated in the vicinity of the base.

The conspiracy lover in me thinks it would be interesting if the military was testing some sort of cool high-tech device, but there may be some simple explanation.

In the area my garadge door used to open and I always linked it to airplanes. I think maybe they might run on the same spectrum or something?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies all.

I am not very informed on the workings of radio frequencies as pertaining to how they may interfere with common devices...

Nice to know others have experienced similar experiences with garage door openers/etc.

Dang, I guess Offutt isn't developing cool HAARP or other secret electronic gizmos (that we know of)!

I appreciate your responses.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I am not very informed on the workings of radio frequencies as pertaining to how they may interfere with common devices...

I appreciate your responses.

muzzleflash gave u the correct answer my friend

I saw the same thread he did.
Have a great day

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
And about the suggestion I try and scroll through radio frequencies--

That would be a nice experiment, but I'm afraid all I have is the CD changer and radio in my car!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Hi all,

Chuck that piece of dependency crap and use your key. Don't buy stuff that THEY can control. If it works on a radio frequency you belong to them

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If someone is using a IED radio signal jamming device this type things would happen.

Is the base under a threat of a bombing and has a radio signal jamming device turned on to stop the use of remote RF detonators.

For fear if warning the bombers they may not let the public in on what they are doing.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here is some more info that I dug up, it is about garage door openers, but it still applies to this topic.

www.doityourself.com...

They listed some really basic "fixes" that you may want to try out.

"Locating and adjusting the antenna inside of your garage can change the frequency on your garage door remote. Turning your antenna in the opposite direction of high frequency signals can divert unwanted interference from disturbing the frequency of your garage door opener, which in turn can improve its operating ability. However, in some cases it is inevitable to get a good garage door frequency that works consistently. In this case, try resetting the frequency on your antenna whenever a problem arises."

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
If someone is using a IED radio signal jamming device this type things would happen.

Is the base under a threat of a bombing and has a radio signal jamming device turned on to stop the use of remote RF detonators.

For fear if warning the bombers they may not let the public in on what they are doing.

Jamming a signal does not have to be done purposely.

Pretty much all you need is to put your singal on the SAME frequency/bandwidth (whichever), and make sure your signal has more energy.

The highest energy signal will win.

That is why Electronic Warfare weapons basically project a high energy signal to enemy radars/sensors.

This higher energy signal will disrupt their systems and prevent them from using those frequencies.

This is happening coincidentally by accident, due to the military base, and as in the article I linked above, can be caused by Radio Towers, Cell Phone Masts, etc etc.

"Jamming is accomplished by a friendly platform transmitting signals on the RADAR frequency to produce a noise level sufficient to hide echos"
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 6-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sparkofdivine

it is so nice (and so rare, lately) to find another sane poster.

You got your answer. Case solved. I will give you a S and F for not being kooky and trying to drag it out into something its not.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by sparkofdivine

it is so nice (and so rare, lately) to find another sane poster.

You got your answer. Case solved. I will give you a S and F for not being kooky and trying to drag it out into something its not.

Not so fast Texan!

I am currently trying to help figure out fixes for this. (Work arounds).

I would like to get this guy's keys working , if possible.

If anyone knows a quick fix please list it for us all. Thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I am still digging looking for answers.

I found this interesting website.

www.ofcom.org.uk...

"Failure of the 433MHz key fob transmission to gain access to the vehicle and to disable the vehicle alarm and immobiliser is resulting in motoring organisations in the UK experiencing tens of thousands of calls per year for assistance."

I'll update more as I find more.

"Frequency Blocking :: Prevention of radio key operation through the presence (or jamming) of a stronger signal at the vehicle receiver.This interfering signal may be on the same precise centre frequency as that of the radio key (e.g. 433.92MHz) or it may contain sufficient energy in a frequency range in which the radio key receiver is still sensitive. Note: A poorly designed receiver may have a wide frequency band over which it is sensitive, making it prone to blocking."

[edit on 6-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
MSNBC Article

"Military radio signals
could jam garage door openers"

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
OK, from the research I've done so far, apparently here is a FIX for you OP.

What you HAVE to do, is request a replacement key from the manufacturer. Explain the frequencies are being blocked by the nearby Military base.

They almost certainly will replace your key with one on a different frequency.

So my suggestion is to ask for a replacement.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Outstanding. I suck, know very little about RF, and cannot currently help you much.

Other than to recommend retrofitting with Infared Remotes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join