It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Earthquake Sumatra, Indonesia Mag 7.8

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

greenland sea just came in at 5.6....

yes, the frequency of large magnitude quakes has increased since 1.3.10.

the list can be found on wiki...many interesting ones.

both pacific, caribbean, and atlantic ridge fault lines - - - and tonga plate.

worldwide.

one could plot these on a calendar and make some inferences if so inclined.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
[edit on 4/6/2010 by drphilxr]

link   
reply to post by Phlynx

For a year or so the USGS has not been recording earthquakes of 4.0 or less outside of North America. There are just too many of them.

link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

nice magnitude chart.

now, how about:

magnitude correlated to frequency of those above 5

and relation (? if any) to recent sunspots and cme's.

yes, i know we just emerged from a maunder like minimum.

but the new cycle just started a few months before...all this quake activity did...

hmmmm.....

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i thought they did - the above 2.5+ rss feed - i stream both lists constantly.

it should give a few hrs. before the wave hits the east coast. maybe.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Funny that the peak of activity seems to date during the apex of WWII

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
hello ats. i'm new. anyway, not the point.

Originally posted by projectvxn
So we have more powerful earthquakes happening with what seems to be more frequency. Is it possible that we are seeing the Beginning stages of large movements in tectonic plates? A sort of sped up continental drift?

i personally doubt that very much. this is why:

www.youtube.com...

watch that and tell me how or why you still think that HUGE pieces of ROCK are FLOATING? (just a suggestion, not an attack)

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
As long as Phage and OzWeatherman keep assuring us that everything is fine and normal, that it's all just media hype and there's nothing to be concerned about, I feel a lot better.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr

one could plot these on a calendar and make some inferences if so inclined.

I StumbledUpon this lastnight actually...

USGS Quake Chart

It only shows seven days, but it is interesting none-the-less.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There is no doubt about it, earthquake activity has gone up exponentially over the last 10 years. Something is coming our way in the years to come. I think it's planet x coming our way and also the fact that we are going through the ecliptic plane of our galaxy where the forces are probably affecting our sun the most also. Throughout history there have always been die offs on the planet every so many thousands of years so it makes sense that there could be more asteroids or something like a brown dwarf that swings into the inner solar system causing havoc. They told us planet x was coming our way in some of the media such as US News & World Report that you can see in this video.

www.project.nsearch.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by projectnsearch

Couldn't agree with you more.

Better get the hell out of Tampa.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Phlynx

For a year or so the USGS has not been recording earthquakes of 4.0 or less outside of North America. There are just too many of them.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Thanks for that bit of info, that really helps. Still, I expect 5.0s.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Krakatoa blew it's stack in 1883 with the equivalent force 13,000 times that of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. The explosion was heard as far away as Perth, Australia. Krakatoa is in Indonesia. Indonesia has over 130 active volcanoes, the most of any nation on earth. Violent volcanic activity has been recorded there as far back as 416 AD.

In 1816 the world experienced what was called "The year without a summer" Also called "Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death." In the US it was so cold that there was lake and river ice in July and August, normally the hottest months of the year. Crops failed all over, and in France there were food riots. This event was caused by the explosion of Mt Tambora, once again in Indonesia, blanketing the skies with volcanic ash and blocking out the sun. A volcanic winter. The effects were global.

If you look, you will see that Indonesia has a long history of violent seismic activity. These recent quakes are just more of the same and not all that unusual for the Indonesian region. We saw this with the previous Tsunami. I was in Indonesia last year when there was another, smaller earthquake not that far away from where the recent one occurred. Sometimes the earth just has to shrug and stretch a little. I don't lose any sleep over it and will be back in Indonesia in August.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

What did you expect would happen when the volume of water changes by increasing the pressure on landmasses...

Before the ice started to melt, everything was calm, now the ice changes to water which spreads out the oceans creates more pressure on landmasses "pushing them, therefore you have more earthquakes...

You could probably picture it in your head if you imagine hard enough...

If you want to do a simple experiment, take a glass of water, fill it up then add ice cubes right until almost to the top of the glass, come baack in an hour, and see if the glass overflowed... The water has to go somewhere right?
In solid form "ice" water is compacted, when melted it expands...

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Brainiac]

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Brainiac]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

On average the world has one 8.0 to 9.9 earthquake a year.
About seventeen 7.0 to 8.9 a year.

For 2010, we have had one 8.0+ and four 7.0+.

We have a ways to go before it is abnormal.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by srsly_you_guys]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I just woke up. Uh, isn't this normal activity going on? I think I'm going back to bed. Good night. Love ya.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
"Now as He (Jesus) sat on the Mount of Olives,

the disciples came to Him privately, saying,

‘Tell us, when will these things be?’

And ‘What will be the sign of Your coming,

and of the end of the Age?’"

(Matt 24:3)

"Jesus answered and said to them ...

And there will be earthquakes in various (diverse) places,"

(Matt 24:8)

I'm just saying is all. I mean every time I turn around theres another one and they seem to be getting bigger and more frequent. I'd be ashamed of myself if I didn't say anything. So take it with a grain of salt from a caring heart, I'm not preaching anything.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectnsearch
also the fact that we are going through the ecliptic plane of our galaxy

This often repeated belief is actually incorrect. We passed the galactic plane quite some time ago, and are well past it. The last time the Earth was in the galactic plane was several million years ago.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
So is it earthquake season or what?

Can someone with the know-how tell me if the amount of earthquakes lately is normal.

Maybe i've just got earthquakes on the mind? I just feel like I've been hearing about quite a lot of good size quakes recently.

They happen every day. Just now we're so focused on them due to the catastrophic results in Haiti.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith

I'm just saying is all. I mean every time I turn around theres another one and they seem to be getting bigger and more frequent. I'd be ashamed of myself if I didn't say anything. So take it with a grain of salt from a caring heart, I'm not preaching anything.

You quote the bible and then say you are not preaching??? You also mention that they are getting bigger and more violent, when we are below the annual count of major earthquakes???

The difference here, is that more people are paying attention to earthquakes, not that more are happening.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join