It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules Against FCC's Comcast Net Neutrality Decision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Court Rules Against FCC's Comcast Net Neutrality Decision

www.pcworld.com

A U.S. appeals court has ruled that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission did not have the authority to order Comcast to stop throttling peer-to-peer traffic in the name of network management.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, in an order Tuesday, overturned the FCC's August 2008 ruling forcing Comcast to abandon its network management efforts aimed at users of the BitTorrent P-to-P (peer-to-peer) service and other applications.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.businessweek.com
www.wired.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
McCain introduces bill to block FCC's net neutrality rules

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm surprised I haven't read about this here yet. This doesn't sound good. Will Comcast be able to legally slow our Internet use? It looks that way.

"Today's appeals court decision means there are no protections in the law for consumers' broadband services," Sohn said in a statement. "Companies selling Internet access are free to play favorites with content on their networks, to throttle certain applications or simply to block others."

It looks like McCain got his way. Please tell me I'm wrong in my interpretation here...

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Argh! I was halfway done making a thread about this!

Nope, you're right - at least for now. McCain apparently has gotten his wish courtesy of our judicial system. Welcome to the last bastion of unfettered interference, now thrown under the truck of capitalist greed. Time will tell whether or not Comcast or anyone else for that matter can stay ahead of Internet user ingenuity...

I'm trying not to get to up in arms about this. There are other avenues of appeal to be sought.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Sorry, Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join