It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Better Sit Down For This

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The fear of running out of oil is moot.

ABIOTIC OIL!!!!

We will simply MAKE more when we exact the science we are already developing that proves oil does not need organic material decaying, rather it is a controlled chemical process we can replicate. Please see my earlier post for the link.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by Rook1545
Is this that oil shale stuff? I am getting pretty tired of hearing about that stuff. It is beyond naive to even consider that stuff usable at this point. The last I heard, that was all that they found that way, just useless, useless oil shale.

Fascinating. And where do you come across that opinion?

Where do I come across the opinion that oil shale is useless? Probably the 8 years I spent working with conventional oil, oilsands, and having seen oil shale.

Little known fact, they have tried to clean oil shale the same way they clean oil sands, it doesn't work. There is more crap than oil in the stuff. It takes more energy to get "oil" out than the amount of energy the oil would produce. Thus being a negative energy source, and being useless, at this point. It might change in the future, when and if they can come up with a better process.

So there is where my "opinion" comes from. I would put it down to pretty much FACT and not opinion. If you care to dispute it, I am open to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I looked at snopes.........

www.snopes.com...

It would seem that the figures are blown just a tad out of proportion,
like billions with a B, not trillions with a T.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That's what I thought. The technically recoverable oil is 3-4.3 billion barrels. Which would last the US 4-6 months.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We'll I did go to the site, and I did see the Proved Reserves.

www.eia.doe.gov...

And if you scroll down, you'll come to a graph that shows the proved oil reserves (remember the key word on Proved) that shows our reserves coming down. But just by looking at the production chart, it easy to infere that we just don't have the oil anymore. At least that's my opinion.

Quote from Source.

"Crude Oil

In contrast to natural gas, reported crude oil proved reserves declined by more than 10 percent to 19.1 billion barrels, despite a third year of increased discoveries (Figure 3). Net negative revisions were about the same as the volume produced during the year, and nearly 1.5 times as much as was discovered. The overall decline in reported proved reserves of crude oil was the largest in the 32 years that EIA has published estimates (Figure 4). "

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by sirbikesalot06

But why would you look at production numbers when this topic is talking about untapped oil sources???

Yes...I think everyone agrees that right now we don't produce a lot of oil...but that doesn't mean we don't have it.

You can't come to that conclusion by looking at what we currently produce.

It is not about averting this current economic crisis...Oil has very little to do with the current crisis. Besides...the oil isn't really meant to be used by the United States anyway...we currently sell most of the oil we produce anyway...and buy it back off of the market...we do this so OPEC countries continue to extract more and more oil. It's just a small way to keep the prices low...and the oil flowing.

What you fail to understand is the fact that we require oil for everything we do. Without Oil, and lets get down to the nitty griddy of it. With Out Diesel, we would not have the Coal to power your laptops. With out Gasoline, you would not have the power to drive around in your car. With out Diesel, the truck can't get your food to the Grocery Store. You can't plow fields with out it. The Local Farmer can't get his goods to the local Farmer's Market. Since nearly all of our transit vehicles our powered by diesel, alot of cut backs occurred in transit during the high ridership that we witness in 2008.

In today's America, we need a car to get around because I hear from Crazy Conservatives all the time on how wasteful Public Transit is. And yet what happen when we couldn't afford the fuel to go shopping, to get to work and to do errens. We went to the Bus stop, trains stations in the areas that at least have service all around the country and use this services because we couldn't afford the gas. And when we can't afford the gasoline to power the vehicle we depend on to get food to fill our bellies, then we also reduce our spending for flat screen tv's, that new Iphone and such.

What People don't Understand is that our entire economy is built on "Spend here and Spend Now" attitude. That has gotten us to our current bubble burst and now the Stimulus Bubble Will Burst. eventually By that time, there will be no government hand out and worst of all, there will be no public transit to get to work.

Now I don't see the end of the world here, I see more open roads and less terrible drivers trying to run me off the road here.

I do see a bad time ahead of us and for me. My beloved Bicycle will be stolen every other day because people aren't use to walking and our communities aren't built for feet, it build for cars that uses oil to get around.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicodin
reply to post by Aeons

i just simplify it by saying it all started when this idea of paper has value thingie was invented.

But as a way of trading units of work or resource value without actually having to find a way to trade someone on another continent your apples for their pomegrantes so that you can trade another person for something pretty for your wife......well its an idea that kinda had to happen.

Not work together just work for the paper? isnt that just making a huge space between us.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Technology advances, and production practices improve.

The companies expanding the fastest are the ones doing exactly the work you're denouncing.

Is this that oil shale stuff? I am getting pretty tired of hearing about that stuff. It is beyond naive to even consider that stuff usable at this point. The last I heard, that was all that they found that way, just useless, useless oil shale.

Fascinating. And where do you come across that opinion?

Where do I come across the opinion that oil shale is useless? Probably the 8 years I spent working with conventional oil, oilsands, and having seen oil shale.

Little known fact, they have tried to clean oil shale the same way they clean oil sands, it doesn't work. There is more crap than oil in the stuff. It takes more energy to get "oil" out than the amount of energy the oil would produce. Thus being a negative energy source, and being useless, at this point. It might change in the future, when and if they can come up with a better process.

So there is where my "opinion" comes from. I would put it down to pretty much FACT and not opinion. If you care to dispute it, I am open to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This story seems to have originated in an e-mail, the whole transcript is copied on other sites. In the main it is considered hoaxy, but there is an element of truth to it.

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Aeons

i just simplify it by saying it all started when this idea of paper has value thingie was invented.

But as a way of trading units of work or resource value without actually having to find a way to trade someone on another continent your apples for their pomegrantes so that you can trade another person for something pretty for your wife......well its an idea that kinda had to happen.

Not work together just work for the paper? isnt that just making a huge space between us.

What sort of "huge space?"

Money is a unit of work done as measured in a region against a larger backdrop of regional work.

I like oranges. No one here grows oranges. I have skills in services that I trade for work units, that I then trade for oranges.

Which is a hell of a lot better than me trying to use data reporting to grow oranges where they don't grow.

Yes, trading units of work is WAY easier than a life long adventure of trade like in old fables and myths where in order to get the golden fleece, first I have to travel with legions around the contient to pick up other things first.

Money is certainly easier.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by Aggie Man

wow, you sure are giving the brain dead in Washington a lot of credit. I don't think they would think that far into the future if they could. There has to be some underlying reason the middle east is so important. At this point, I find it hard to believe it's just Oil, although that does make the most sense. Figure out why Israel is such a key component to our long term survival, and I think you will find the answer.

Jesus , are you serious

50 - 100 year cycles is what zbigniew brzezinski works with, but then again he only advises the president lol.

the level of ignorance continues to astonish me at this site.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicodin

You give a hooker some money and she'll make sure there's no space between the two of ya!

Oil, Texas tea, bubblin' crude.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I agree with your post, but the thing is india and russia are way ahead of this game. Alternative energy. possibly free and clean energy. I also think that the reason that it aint been used before now is also the fault lines. You empty an underground resevoir of oil and you will have a nice hole to fall into?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I looked at snopes.........

www.snopes.com...

It would seem that the figures are blown just a tad out of proportion,
like billions with a B, not trillions with a T.

This is the same figure from the US energy information service, from last year in an article on the Bakken field,

Ultimate Recovery from the Bakken Shale
Proved reserves are only a small part of the oil that is likely to be produced from the Bakken in the future. In April 2008, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) published a geology-based probabilistic assessment of the undiscovered, technically recoverable oil resources in the Bakken Formation. USGS estimated that the Bakken Formation may contain from 3.1 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable crude oil with the most likely average (mean) being 3.65 billion barrels. By comparison, total U.S. crude oil inputs to refineries were 5.5 billion barrels in 2007.

There should be a new revision of reserves this year.

tonto.eia.doe.gov...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

I agree with your post, but the thing is india and russia are way ahead of this game. Alternative energy. possibly free and clean energy. I also think that the reason that it aint been used before now is also the fault lines. You empty an underground resevoir of oil and you will have a nice hole to fall into?

Resevoirs are not little underground lakes.

The petroleum product is captured inside the spaces inside rock.

www.dmr.nd.gov...

Has some pictures of a core - rock you would find petroleum inside of the spaces of the core sample shown.

Which is a Bakken core.

[edit on 2010/4/6 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I never denounced anyone. I know how fast the technology grows in this area. Let me repost part of what I said because I think you missed it.

It takes more energy to get "oil" out than the amount of energy the oil would produce. Thus being a negative energy source, and being useless, at this point. It might change in the future, when and if they can come up with a better process.

All I am saying is that with the technology we have RIGHT NOW, we can't do anything with it. In the future (however far away it might be, might be tomorrow, we don't know), it will be a viable energy source, I truly believe that. Look at what we have been able to do with "useless" tarsands in Alberta. Until that point though, while it is still technically, a proven source of oil, we can't do anything with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

wow, you sure are giving the brain dead in Washington a lot of credit. I don't think they would think that far into the future if they could. There has to be some underlying reason the middle east is so important. At this point, I find it hard to believe it's just Oil, although that does make the most sense. Figure out why Israel is such a key component to our long term survival, and I think you will find the answer.

Well, if this is true, they only look brain dead because of the strategy you aren't privy to...but I agree, I think the majority are idiots, the think tanks and compartmentalized areas in government make the game plan.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The excuse of oil exploration has been coined so that the government can search for gold reserves...the annanaki will return and they will not be happy to see that we have put our primary value system into oil instead of gold....and think we spend paper

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I believe the price of oil has to go very high before the Alberta tar-sands are economically viable.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If you can't do anything with it, why are they being developed, and how is it that profit is being made on it?

Even BC shale is making money, and it is far more technologically challenging than the stuff in N.Dakota and Texas.

reply to post by Aeons

I never denounced anyone. I know how fast the technology grows in this area. Let me repost part of what I said because I think you missed it.

It takes more energy to get "oil" out than the amount of energy the oil would produce. Thus being a negative energy source, and being useless, at this point. It might change in the future, when and if they can come up with a better process.

All I am saying is that with the technology we have RIGHT NOW, we can't do anything with it. In the future (however far away it might be, might be tomorrow, we don't know), it will be a viable energy source, I truly believe that. Look at what we have been able to do with "useless" tarsands in Alberta. Until that point though, while it is still technically, a proven source of oil, we can't do anything with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Rook1545

I believe the price of oil has to go very high before the Alberta tar-sands are economically viable.

Actually if oil is over $25 a bbl, they are making money. They are very sneaky with their books. There is a reason they keep expanding and starting up projects. Those become income sinks and make the bottom line look a lot different that what it really is.

If you take into consideration what they pay for the materials and labor of the new project, that counts against the profits. For a company like Syncrude or Suncor, that always has something new going on, they get a royalty break, pay less taxes, and aren't showing as much pure profit on the bottom line.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join