It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical Prophecy Rebuilding Babylon (Iraq)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There are many many prophecies concerning babylon in the bible. Many in the book of Daniel and many in Revelation. The signifigant thing about Babylon I feel is the fact that babylon is no longer around yet is destroyed in revelation is pretty signifigant. Heres some scripture that describes the destruction of babylon at the end of the world.

Lament for Babylon

9 "And (79) the kings of the earth, who committed acts of immorality and (80) lived sensuously with her, will (81) weep and lament over her when they (82) see the smoke of her burning,
10 (83) standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying, '(84) Woe, woe, (85) the great city, Babylon, the strong city! For in (86) one hour your judgment has come.'
11 "And the (87) merchants of the earth (88) weep and mourn over her, because no one buys their cargoes any more--
12 cargoes of (89) gold and silver and precious stones and pearls and fine linen and purple and silk and scarlet, and every kind of citron wood and every article of ivory and every article made from very costly wood and bronze and iron and marble,
13 and cinnamon and spice and incense and perfume and frankincense and wine and olive oil and fine flour and wheat and cattle and sheep, and cargoes of horses and chariots and slaves and (90) human lives.
14 "The fruit you long for has gone from you, and all things that were luxurious and splendid have passed away from you and men will no longer find them.
15 "The (91) merchants of (92) these things, who became rich from her, will (93) stand at a distance because of the fear of her torment, weeping and mourning,

This means babylon has to be rebuilt. Saddam Hussein had been rebuilding the ancient ruins of babylon for decades and spent oever 1 billion dollars doing it. Many belived he wanted to be the next King Nebuchadrez'zar. Babylon once was a extremely rich economic center, and it lied just outside where modern baghdad is. The biblical destruction of it in revelation shows that it has become a major economic center.

I know that the ruins saddam built will never be the figure . of power that is destroyed in revelation but think of the major economic future Iraq has and the power it will have. Relived of most of it's debts, Hundreds of Billions pumped into its economy, and oil. I think the rebuilding of Iraq is the beginnings of the biblical end of the world.

Any of you reasearching this would help theres tons of stuff about this on the net. Any speculation?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's not Babylon becuase the desctruction of Babylon was also in the Bible. They are reffering to New York as Babylon. I have the King James version, and the translation is a bit different though but its the same thing they said in here as it is there just in a different usage of words.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
ive edited so stop giveing me warnings

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Warhappy]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warhappy
You People and your F%$king religion!, it really is G&Y the way you people run around saying oohhh itz the end of the world its the end!!!!!!!!!! i have something to say t all you religious Ba$#^rds STFU!:

Well good for you there are no atheist in hell. When your in hell you will know god is real. How can you be so naive and see how complex the world and everything is and think it just happened. I belive in the bible and daniels prophecys have proven to be true over a long period of time.

Over 2 billion people worldwide are christians thats 1 out of 3 living people belive in god and jesus. So your basically saying 1/3 of the worlds population are idots and bastards?

Also if we're religious bastards why are you in the religious forum? Missing something?

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Hoppinmad1]

[edit on 5-6-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just trying to spread my religion?//////// Iam the Alpha and the omega B^*%h! Worship me Mortals

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
www.cresourcei.org...

This is a link to the history or part of the history of babylon.
This ancient and important city was a center of a lot of conflicts, and became a target for many attacks.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
It's not Babylon becuase the desctruction of Babylon was also in the Bible. They are reffering to New York as Babylon. I have the King James version, and the translation is a bit different though but its the same thing they said in here as it is there just in a different usage of words.

Babylon was destroyed in the bible but not as the bible describes. Revelation speaks of babylon being destroyed later at the end of the world. It will become an economic center which it is easy to see how.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The book of revelation cannot be about present day events.
The very firast verse says that the events within the book must soon take place

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Babylon is the old.

The Babylon in the book of Revelations isn't the ancient Babylon but a new Babylon.

The Babylon in Revelations, according to the description, is most likely Rome.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by judge
The book of revelation cannot be about present day events.
The very firast verse says that the events within the book must soon take place

The bible was written by men inspired by god. If god has been in existence forever then how long is soon to him?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

Where they heck does it say that? Ya know say, I think in my opinion, or I take it as? Dont state that crap like its fact man. There are to many young kids on here who dont do research and think what they hear is true, please. Most likley they were reffering to Rome at the time. (someone stated that above as well) . But again that is an opinion not a fact.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, I have written about where the Antichrist will appear(not my words)in another thread....
www.google.com.au...:yfllwvT0k3kJ:www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread7429/pg1+woe+to+you+chorazin++Russian+Orthodox&hl=en

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

TextThe bible was written by men inspired by god

Yes it was but with a littler twist it was inspired by god with mens point of view. So the bible is more human than devine.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
if interested type "America babylon" at google and read research that first before saying Iraqi will be babylon rebuilt!

End times babylon is supposed to rule the world. Hmmmm American lifestyle? hmm Dollar?? Financial system? Music ? Entertainment? Trade?
Military?? I heard a quote from a movie...something like "We are about to unleash the most powerful military of all time" this was in reference to USA military.

Read up on it..just Babylon..what it must be to fullfill it, then compare it to Iraqi..or Rome maybe....!

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You People and your F%$king religion!, it really is G&Y the way you people run around saying oohhh itz the end of the world its the end!!!!!!!!!! i have something to say t all you religious Ba$#^rds STFU

None cares what you say! You cant change anyone's opinions (sure as hell not mine) you can obsses about this all you want, hell you wouldnt even change my opinion if you held a gun up to your own . and said ill shoot myself!
Edit: Oh and if you dont like religous people dont post in this forum!

[Edited on 093030p://ex30 by AD5673]

[edit on 5-6-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction

End times babylon is supposed to rule the world. Hmmmm American lifestyle? hmm Dollar?? Financial system? Music ? Entertainment? Trade?
Military?? I heard a quote from a movie...something like "We are about to unleash the most powerful military of all time" this was in reference to USA military.

This was not rome according to the bible. Revelation are things that are to happen at the end of the world when the antichrist appears. The new babylon apparently plays a major roll in all this. This babylon will be a huge economic center and the rich and evil will lament the bible says when it is destroyed. I belive it will be Iraq. What country has such a good outlook and economic future. Like I said It's forgiven of most of it's debts. Has other countries putting billions into it's economy and will be a democracy controlling huge amounts of oil with united states backing.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

You People and your F%$king religion!, it really is G&Y the way you people run around saying oohhh itz the end of the world its the end!!!!!!!!!! i have something to say t all you religious Ba$#^rds STFU!

Wow! What's in the milk on your corn flakes?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The big problem with all these biblically inspired end time prophecies regarding Babylon, is that they seem to convince a large number of Bush's core voters that the orgy of death and killing in Iraq is somehow neccessary and even "noble".

I'm all for spiritual soul searching and a quest for a higher meaning/understanding, but if you're looking for the truth in 1700 hundred year old book all about death and punishment and wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's my guess you're looking in the wrong place.

There is a lot of wisdom in the bible, don't get me wrong, but if you believe in Jesus, then a better option might be to zip through the gospels, copy out all the passages that are supposed to be quotes FROM Jesus (i.e. a the spin free version). He did, after all, say the way is through HIM! not anyone else. That means not your preacher, or the Pope, or some historical theologian, or some TV evangelist. And definitely not George Bush.

You will find your extracts are for the most parables, observations and generally insightful illustrations forcing you to think about life and hopefully bocome a better, happier, more fulfilled person.

I'm an atheist myself, but I believe Jesus himself was a real person, a good person, who tried to make the world a better place and never EVER expected all the trouble that has been caused in his name.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
The big problem with all these biblically inspired end time prophecies regarding Babylon, is that they seem to convince a large number of Bush's core voters that the orgy of death and killing in Iraq is somehow neccessary and even "noble".

I despise bush. Rebuilding iraq former babylon and putting billions into it's econmy and it's oil making capability will make it very powerfull economic center in a decade or so. Babylon will be destroyed at the end of the world according to revelation. Iraq under saddam could never became as powefull as it will now become. It's like a company that goes bankrupt. No one can compete with it cuz it has no debt and can outsell everyone else. Get the concept.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Excuse me?

Did you say that the Book of Revelation (The Apocalypse of Yohanon the Levite, whoever he was) actually used the word "ANTI-CHRIST"?

Where, pray tell?

You'd better read the text of Revelation again. Very Carefully.

I have a copy of the Greek text of the book in front of me (there are 27 families of variant MSS of this book in the Greek, none of which match exactly, and many that have over 50 marginalia comments worked into the text over the years...the "lying pen of the scribes!" and I do NOT see the word "antichrist" appearing in either the text or in any of the margins.

I see words like, "Serpent", "Dragon", (in one margin: "the old Devil, also called Satan",) "Beast" and "False Prophet", etc. but not the term ANTICHRIST.

That term only occurs in the writer of epistles of Yohanon the Elder (1, 2 and 3 John)

Why do so many people on this thread think the word ANTICHRIST appears in the Book of "Revelation" (which itself barely got voted into the Bible at all those Bishopric Councils in AD 361-460)?

This just goes to show how many people like to run with hear-say when it comes to the "contents" of the Bible...!

Also: the book has NOTHING to do with present day Iraq.

For those "preterists" among us, (who believe the "prophecies" in the book have "already come to pass during the Jewish War of AD 66) we can see that the Apocalypse (from the Greek APO = remove and KALUPS = VEIL, which would mean "removal of the Veil, i.e. reveal-ation) was written in extremely bad Koine Greek around AD 66/67, i.e. in the middle of the 1st Jewish Revolt against Rome, which according to the book itself, the Jews would win.

The text of this book is very badly translated from Hebrew and Aramaic sources into a kind of mid 1st century Koine Greek which is hard to make any sense of (verbal nouns and other howlers make this very cumbersome for the scholars).

The thrust of the book seems to be a Message of Hope for the soon to be Martyrs whose blood was about to be slain by the Oppressors of the Word---and it looks as if the writers were still in the thick of the Jewish War when they were writing....still living in hope of a victory against Rome...and those who were her puppets in Jerusalem (i.e. the Woman on a Scarlet beast)

NEWSFLASH : to all those who believe the contents of that book are in any way true:

THE JEWS LOST THE WAR AGAINST ROME by AD 70 (over 800,000 Palestinian Jews and Samaritans were killed by the Romans, mainly due to starvation between AD 66 and 72, when Masada finally caved in) and the 2nd Temple of Herod was burned to the ground with only the western retaining wall standing---and NO NEW JERUSALEM ever came down from heaven....

Why on earth do so many people think this book could possibly have any relevance today in the West?

The So-called Book of Revelation was orignally a JEWISH APOCALYPSE later RE-WRITTEN BY CHRISTIANS AFTER THE 1st JEWISH WAR AGAINST ROME, and freely quotes and misquotes from the Old Testament and Apocrypha-Pseudipigrapha prophecies which were meant to suggest that they would WIN THE WAR using references from: e.g. Plagues of Egypt sections in Exodus (probably using an Aramaic paraphrase as its source, known as a Targum), it also does the same thing with the books of Daniel, Deutero-Zechariah chapters 9 to 14, Hezekiel chapter 37 and 39 as well as the Anti Babylonian Sections of Hezekiel, the Book of Jeremiah (especially the anti-Babylonian sections), Proto (chapters 1-39) and Deutero Isaiah chapters 40-55) as well as Trito Isaiah (chapters 56-66), the End of Days sections of Joel and Malachi and various Psalms (and I Henoch)--as well as the LITURGY OF THE 2nd TEMPLE (notice all the hymn singing Levites grouped into 24 families of harp players standing (or rather, bowing) in front of the Throne Platform, and the Holy of Holies cubic dimensions and all the 12 walls and gates etc. which were part of the Vision of the Temple of Hezekiel and Herod's 2nd Temple Complex), not to mention all the sacrificial language (the Lamb that was Slain etc.).

I think most Christians on this thread are unaware they are dealing with a primarily Jewish-Messianic Document which has nothing to do with "Babylon" literally, but everything to do with Rome (and the Jewish War against Rome).

The Trumpet call at the beginning (shofar) of Yohanon's Vision of the Future, shows that the text was making a reference to the Feast of Trumpets in the month of Tishri (September), 10 days before the Day of Atonement, a period which the Rebbes to this day use as a period of Reflective-Prophecy into the Future year to come and much of the imagery found in the contents of the book of Revelation follows the Daily Psalms which were regularly sung at the Tamid sacrifices (morning and evening) in the 2nd Temple before Rome burnt it down:

Sunday=Psalm 24,
Monday = Psalm 48,
Tuesday =Psalm 82,
Wed = Psalm 94,
Thursday =Psalm 81,
Friday =Psalm 93
and Saturday (Sabbath) =Psalm 92.

Read the texts of these TAMID psalms, and you'll see dozens of references in the Book of Revelation which are handled "midrashically" (i.e. as theological expansions) =28: "Lift up your .s o ye gates that the King of Glory may come in.." "the earth is YHWH's, and the fullness thereof", 48: Great is YHWH in the mountain of his holiness...kings were assembled and were dispersed....he who breaketh apart the ships of Tarshish...Walk about Zion, count her gates...count her towers...mark her bulworks and her palaces...82: How long will ye judge unjustly o YHWH and allow the wicked to prosper? Deliver the Poor and the Needy O Elohim....Arise o El to Judge the earth...94: Arise O YHWH elohim, shew thyself, to whom all Vengeance belongeth...how Long Shall the Wicked Triumph, those that utter vain things boast? Behold Judgement shall return in Righteousness in that Day. YHWH shall cut the wicked off in that Day...81: SIng a Psalm to El our Strength: blow the Trumpet on our solemn feast Day: In that Day ye shall not worship any foreign god...open thy mouth, so that I may fill it....93: YHWH reigns as King, clothed with majesty and Strength..thy Testimonies are Sure, and Holiness bedecks thy house...thy Throne is Established as of old...YHWH is lifted up higher than the Noise of Many Waters...92: It is good to give Thanks to YHWH and to sing prasies to his name: fo lo thy enemies shall all perish: the Righteous ones shall flourish like the Palm tree, yea they shall flourish in the Courtyards of our clan-god. Play upon the Psaltery, even upon the harp with 10 strings...

Anyone trying the make sense of this Apocalypse will not be able to until he considers all of the "liturgical" ingredients which have to do with the 2nd Temple Liturgy which permeates its language, all expressed in the context of the Jewish War against Rome.

The Book of Revelation has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with present day Iraq, despite all the quotes from Jeremiah's prophecies taken from the OT that "Babylon" (i.e. Rome) would be the devastated and empty hunting ground of jackals and other desert animals.

To interpret such phrases literally would be missing the entire point the author was trying to make----to give hope to those facing martyrdom during a cruel and sensless war which cost so many innocent lives 40 years after the martyr's death of "Jeeeezuz".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join