It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Female Astronaut & Teacher Breaks the Mold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e07c73cf49b9.jpg[/atsimg]
Article:

Dorothy Metcalf-Lindenburger seems like such an unlikely astronaut --riotously curly hair, and a bubbly personality, passionate about inspiring students. She is a far cry from the test pilots with the right stuff who flew the legendary Apollo missions.

This mission has a record four women among the crew.At 34, "Dottie" is the youngest astronaut on the space shuttle Discovery crew, which is headed to the International Space Station this week after blasting off from Cape Canaveral, Fla., Sunday. She wasn't even alive when Apollo 11 landed on the moon, and was only a toddler when Columbia flew on the first space shuttle mission, and yet somehow, she caught the space bug.

A nice story on Dorothy Linderburger. I have to say that she carries on a great spirit for women into space. I wasn't personally a big fan of sending teachers and other non-astronaut types but after reading this and seeing that they too are contributing to the program, has changed my mind.

I have to ask though... what if she sees a UFO-a real one. I wonder how NASA can keep her under wraps.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
As a Mother who has a 10 year old Daughter I love these types of stories. I point them out to her. Bubbly personalities do not always me ditzy, and it is a great way to let my daughter know she can do anything she puts her mind to.

I also point out these types of stories to my boys.

And as far as how she would react, maybe like anyone else, but with a tad more excitement.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

I agree with you. I will be showing this to my youngest. He's convinced himself the only way to getting into space is via the US Air Force academy. He is dead set against any military avenue.

I told him, Sciences then-they'll always need brainiacs. I will be keeping an eye out to see what she puts out as far as papers/research/findings etc when she gets back.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Maybe I'm wrong here, but without reading the whole piece...I'm actually offended at the title of this article, especially as this mold was broken, what, 14 years ago...by a true American heroine...

Christa McAuliffe

join