It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geomagnetic Storms Affecting a Human's Brain and/or Equilibrium, Plausible?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have done a little bit of scouring on the net because of something my girlfriend and I both experienced today. We didn't realize we both had a similar occurrence until later today when we both talked about our day with one another. Surprisingly, our accounts were quite similar.

I would like to first make you privy to our individual experiences, then the research I did on people describing similar accounts. Not only in this forum, but elsewhere, which through researching, seems like a pretty common occurrence. Predominantly responses are that this is associated with the condition known as Vertigo among many other possible causes to what we may have experienced. However, after examining the most popular assumptions of causes I am leaning to one that seems to be more plausible than a physical or medical condition.

I'll start with my experience. I'm a pretty average individual as it is. I am a healthy, educated, well mannered, and overall normal person (contextually speaking). Today, I had an odd experience. Throughout the day I had the feeling of being in a complete fog of sorts, disconnected from reality, just sort of a vagueness and inability to fully focus that I could not quite put a finger on and it was mixed with a strange feeling of being, well, irritable that I couldn't regain focus.

The closest similarity to ever feeling the same way is similar to when I have had a bad head cold and had that swimmy headed feeling. Where, because you are sick, congested, generally hopped up on cold medicine, and you're not as quick as you would be if you were 100%. You get that disconnected feeling, response time is slowed, thinking is cloudy, you're irritable, etc.

I felt this feeling mildly on Saturday and perhaps a little on Sunday but it was short lived and I didn't make much of it. I noticed the feeling again this morning except it was much stronger than the previous days, and it reached a peak around mid-day and started to again subside as it got later in the day and is slightly still noticeable as I compose this. I remember asking myself, "what the hell is going on with me? snap out of it". I thought, well maybe I am coming down with something. However no other symptoms that would be associated with being sick have come forth. I don't suffer from allergies. So I have ruled both of these out. I wasn't dizzy and had no balance issues at all, so I as well ruled out any inner ear issues.

Now my girlfriend's experience. Saturday, my girlfriend made the comment "I feel like I am falling" while we were driving around doing some errands. She was very loopy and it was hard for her to snap out of it. She didn't feel normal until late in the day. She again felt the feeling of disconnection on Sunday. I didn't associate our similar accounts at this point.

It is also important to mention that she has not been sleeping very well these past few months. She works from 2pm - 10:30pm but does not go to bed until well after 5am. Friday, she did not sleep until after 8am. This is something that has only come on within the last few months - since the start of this year to be exact. She can not pin her insomnia on anything. She says that nothing is really bothering her, no out of the ordinary stress, she simply cannot sleep until completely exhausted.

On Monday, she felt as if she was disassociated from reality. Almost like she was sleep walking. She couldn't focus. She said it was that feeling you get after going on a roller coaster or carnival ride. Where your equilibrium was off and you felt dizzy. She did not experience any nausea during her experience. She does have allergies and assumed she was having a really bad allergy to something. She felt better later today but she says this feeling is still somewhat lingering as I am composing this.

So I decided to research this. I would have thought nothing of it had we not both had similar accounts at what appears to be exact times over the last couple of days. I may or may not have felt like this in the past but just wrote it off as normal.

Through my research I have found that this could be many things. Through some of the threads I visited I found that most people who have experienced similar occurrences were met with a barrage of people telling them to seek professional medical attention. I appreciate their sentiment however I am not here to seek a diagnosis. I am here to explore the evidence of a plausible cause.

The following: Current Solar Data (from NOAA)

Estimated Kp Index
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/754385d1903c.gif[/atsimg]

Magnetometer
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c51124f8b718.gif[/atsimg]

The peaks in these images, are strikingly on time with the recent occurrences my girlfriend and I experienced. I know that some animals are affected by the Earth's Magnetic Field. For example, The Magnetic Sense of Animals

So my query is this:

Is it plausible that human minds/equilibrium can be affected by Geomagnetic Storms?

and...

Has anyone else had this type of feeling before, if so can you go back and look at the graphs if you can recount the time when said feelings occurred and see if they match up to peaks in these Geomagnetic Storms?

Thanks in advance!
UberL33t

[edit on 4/5/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

There is a growing body of evidence that changes in the geomagnetic field affect biological systems. Studies indicate that physically stressed human biological systems may respond to fluctuations in the geomagnetic field. Interest and concern in this subject have led the International Union of Radio Science to create a new commission entitled Commission K - Electromagnetics in Biology and Medicine,[8] current chair Dr. Frank Prato.[9]

The brain is electromagnetic so it would be influenced, but how and why is the question? Strangely little research can be found conscerning the brain and geomagnetics, I think this to be part of the paradigm that enforces the "you are not connected with nature, your separate" view in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Edit, that above quote came from wikipedia

Also found this intersting article

An investigation of the influence of geomagnetic storms of various intensities on healthy adults’ human brain activity and its functional state was conducted. Results of electroencephalogram (EEG) investigations were used as the most objective method reflecting functional state of the human brain. Studies on the influence of geomagnetic storms on the human brain functional state of healthy adult women patients (permanent group) in states of relaxation, photo-stimulation and hyper-ventilation have revealed a negative influence of severe geomagnetic storms on functional state of the human brain. As a rule, during periods of strong geomagnetic disturbances, indisposition, weakness and presence of indistinct localized headaches were recorded for majority of patients. Complex of nonspecific shifts on EEG reflects disorganization of functional activity of cortex of large hemispheres of the human brain at geomagnetically disturbed days, which is likely connected with dysfunction of integrative subcortical systems, with disbalance of its ascending synchronizing and desynchronizing influences. Imbalance of activating and deactivating mechanisms including dysfunctions of ergo- and tropho-tropic over-segmentary centers was registered. Strengthening cortical connections in the right cortical hemisphere and their short circuit on temporal sections during geomagnetically disturbed days were observed, while, in geomagnetically quiet days, a profile of correlation interrelations reflected weak internal- and inter-hemispheric connections. The threshold of convulsive (spasmodic) readiness of the human brain is reduced, which is especially dangerous for risk group persons. It is established that, in general, weak and moderate geomagnetic storms exert stimulating influence while strong disturbances of geomagnetic conditions activate braking (inhibiting) processes.

The obtained results allowed concluding that the disturbances of geomagnetic conditions can negatively influence the human organism, having an effect on functional activity of a brain and changing its background state. There are significant changes in the functional activity of the human brain during the days with severe geomagnetic storms, which reflect infringement of functions in both central integrative mechanisms, and local processes of the human brain regulations

From Geomagnatic storms and thier influence on the brain function
[edit on 5-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

That is quite interesting to say the least, but this raises some questions.

Does it affect everyone the same? The study was performed on Women if I read correctly. Why are some affected and others not? It would appear that not everyone is affected, unless they are and they just haven't associated this feeling with Geomagnetic Storms when they're occurring. I am curious as to why the only studied this on Women?

Great information, thank you!

[edit on 4/5/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
thank you for posting this thread.

S&F

I was kinda expecting it to show up after
reading the EQ threads this weekend
and reading all the folks who had these
same symptoms.

I myself was under the effects of this.
I had bad headaches that wouldn't go
away without 4-5 IBU's. Felt nausea
and downright sick to my stomach
and I am a MALE btw.

I worked on a ship before and never got sea
sick one time. so the motion factor
of the earth moving isn't what I think
caused mine. It had to be something
else and the Geomagnetic Storm may
just be the cause.

I was with a female companion for some
of the weekend and she had no symptoms
whatsoever. So I do think it effects some
people without effecting others.

great post

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I aplogize in advance for the esoteric answer, but women are more sensitive. Also the point you made about people feel it but dont associate it with the geomag storms to be pertinent. Those away from city electo noise such as tribes in the amazon have and probably still do feel it much more than we. Those who do much work on meditation such as myself are very prone to this type of thing, even though im not female. Not to be sexist but women are generally more spiritually in tune with the all to begin with. Its a sensitivity thing, men can be very good at blocking out unwanted stimuli an focusing on the task at hand.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Does it affect everyone the same?

The reason I ask this is, where my girlfriend is experiencing insomnia, I am able to sleep at the drop of a dime. Although our schedules are somewhat different (I work a regular 40hr week 7:30am to 4:30pm). I sleep a lot lately.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I've been dealing with similar issues as well.
I just haven't felt like myself the last few days.
Like you said, foggy...disconnected...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

The details about you and your girlfriend are a little personal for a site like this, but they are a good illustration of the phenomenon.

I don't have specific data on this, but good at noticing the correlation with solar activity.

For those of us who think in terms of spiritual abilities, mind fields, and not just brains, it is very conceivable that such activity could be picked up by some people and make them feel uneasy. There are other cases of "hyper-sensitives" (I don't know if there is an exact technical word) such as the people who hear a hum that seems to be connected with ELF radio activity. A being should be able to sense any type of electromagnetic field or signal, but currently spiritual abilities are very spotty and uneven among us.

There is a fair amount of literature on both the overt and covert development of technologies for influencing thoughts and emotions using various kinds of electromagnetic radiations, so you know there are people out there who are aware of those sensitivities and are attempting to use them to their own advantage.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The strength of Earth's magnetic field at the earth's surface is at its strongest near the poles and at its weakest near the equator. At the poles its strength is over 60 microteslas and at the equator its about half that.

For a comparison, a refrigerator magnet (a strong one) has a strength of .01 tesla, more that 160 times more powerful than the Earth's field at the poles.

At the peak of the geomagnetic storm the magnetometer at Boulder, Colorado recorded a fluctuation of about 125 nanoteslas. That is .125 microteslas, 1/480th of the strength of the magnetic field at the equator and 80,000 times less powerful than that refrigerator magnet.

Even though that refrigerator magnet has a pretty strong magnetic field in comparison to the Earth, it is small, not large enough to affect your whole body. Let's look something that can. A typical MRI machine produces .5 - 3.0 tesla. That's 8,000 to 50,000 times more powerful than Earth's field at the poles. If the fluctuations of a geomagnetic storm can cause headaches and other physiological symptoms, what could magnetic fluctuations millions of times more powerful do? It seems it would be difficult to survive, yet people do.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I had vertigo a few times. Classic vertigo only last for a few minutes. It's not a foggy feeling but a feeling like the room is spinning very fast.

It's usually an inner ear problem. Read about BPV - it talks about crystals in your inner ear getting out of place. There are tiny crystal type stones in your ear which tell your brain the direction of your body.

A doctor who specializes in vertigo can verify if it is BPV by tilting your head and body in a specific manner and watching your eye movements.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Based on the information Phage supplied, it would seem that these storms do not produce enough of a magnetic fluctuation to have an effect.

Although, without knowing for sure how these storms may or may not affect us and regardless of their minuteness in the overall magnetic fluctuation. It leads me to also wonder if these effects are due to additional factors at the time of these feelings that people are getting.

For example, the current Lunar Cycle in conjunction with the Geomagnetic Storms. It is theorized that Lunar Cycles and the gravitational forces they exert can have an effect on the human psyche. This, combined with certain solar activity could in theory affect us at different times in different ways based on individual make-up, whether physical or spiritual.

If anything, I think it's worth a discussion, perhaps we can narrow down some of the possibilities. Whether it's physical or spiritual is a big portion of the discussion I feel. Seemingly some are more sensitive than others. Is this due to one’s spirituality or their individual physical make-up? This, I am sure is a debate in of itself.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Just throwing another notion out there.

If the recent solar activity is seemingly causing Earth's tectonic plates to shift in lieu of all the recent Earthquake activity, which has been recent speculation in some circles. Is it possible that we're experiencing a similar effect and the two are related?

Again, just a notion to ponder. I realize that some are saying everything involving the Earthquakes are perfectly normal, others aren't convinced. I think that when you're trying to determine the cause and effect of something it's best to examine all possibilities, even if they are considered to be far fetched.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

i feel every second of solar activity. i have been flattened out and delirious for the last day and a half. it feels almost like a pressure washing of the cells. a squeezing. along with the feeling of being very high in a very bad way and spinning kind of feeling. this has been going on for me, for 2.5 years. not everybody feels it in the same way. my hubbie does not feel it at all when i am barely able to walk or see straight. why? i have no idea... and would love to know.

it is not just affecting our brain. it is affecting our entire energetic makeup.. and a lot of people say our DNA.. which may possibly explain the pure torture that it has been.

google earth ascension, ascension, empowered ascension, ascension and solar activity, see if any of it resonates. it is all very connected.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is seemingly not an isolated event.

I found this thread related to the same thing. Something seems to be occurring to a lot of people.

Anyone feeling really weird this week?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hmm...my dad has been complaining of vertigo. He went to ER for it and they said there was a lot of it going around. My uncle had it - he fell and got hurt. I assumed it was some sort of virus or infection or something.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Based on the information Phage supplied, it would seem that these storms do not produce enough of a magnetic fluctuation to have an effect.

or maybe it is a combination of multiple
factors that contribute to this event.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
This is seemingly not an isolated event.

I found this thread related to the same thing. Something seems to be occurring to a lot of people.

not to take away from your meaning
but has anyone thought that it may
be a new kind of weapon used against
the public at large??? Since it is on a large
scale. Maybe we're just guinea pigs ????

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I thought of this, because I felt so disconnected, I remember saying to myself, "why do I feel so dumb". So the whole "dumb’ing down" of the masses thought did in fact occur to me. Good point!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

Earth Gets Geomagnetic Wallop

news.discovery.com

Feeling a bit scattered today? Well perhaps you can blame the weather. I'm not talking about spring fever. A blast of solar wind is pummeling Earth's magnetosphere today, sparking the strongest geomagnetic storm so far this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well that adds a little bit of prevalence to the claim.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is weird... Saturday and sunday felt a little sick. I was fine on monday... Today I felt horrible and I was wondering why... I guess i got my answer...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join