It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Criminalization For Having Herpes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If thought think Canada is the almighty health care, friendly, safe country...you may want to think again...

First they came after people with HIV. Cops and courts may be starting to cast the net far wider now. If you have herpes, watch out.

The use of criminal law to police and punish sexual behaviour has been on the rise in the past year, with several high-profile cases where HIV-positive people faced charges based on allegations of "exposure without disclosure" — accused of having potentially risky sex with others without revealing their HIV status. Such claims are essentially impossible to scientifically prove, and no HIV need be transmitted in order for an allegation to lead to an arrest. A range of experts have pointed out that this dangerous trend does little to protect anyone. And it appears things may be about to take a turn for the worse.

Source

I really don't get it. How does a civilized nation get to the point of charging citizens for having a disease or virus? Absolutely amazing.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I really don't get it. How does a civilized nation get to the point of charging citizens for having a disease or virus? Absolutely amazing.

If a girl knew she had herpes and did not tell me and I caught it, she better hope that she goes to prison, because I would be
Its just wrong not to tell you have herpes if your going to be physical with them. I'm usually against most stupid government laws, but this one is great!!

[edit on 5-4-2010 by (C2C)]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My opinion is that if you Knowingly infect someone, and don't ever mention you have a disease, that is deception, and criminal in my eyes. If the other party consents with the knowledge, well then they have made the decision and must live with consequences.

I do think that this law for herpes is rather harsh, in fact, too harsh. Colds sores are a form of herpes, so where do they draw the line? HIV / AIDS, different story.

People in South Africa (at one stage) were pricking themselves with thumb tacks, and then placing them on cinema seats to infect others - now THAT is unforgivable

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

doesn't nearly everyone get a cold sore too!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz

doesn't nearly everyone get a cold sore too!

Well, I have known many people in life, even when we were way too young to engage in physical relationships, that had contracted a cold sore - so who is going to get the blame for that?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

with several high-profile cases where HIV-positive people faced charges based on allegations of "exposure without disclosure" — accused of having potentially risky sex with others without revealing their HIV status. Such claims are essentially impossible to scientifically prove, and no HIV need be transmitted in order for an allegation to lead to an arrest.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I would hope a girl would tell me if she has cold sores, infact I make it a point of asking any girl I may be physical with if she has Cold Sores or any other STD! Cold Sores are nasty, and are easily transferable to other places.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by (C2C)

I would hope a girl would tell me if she has cold sores,

We all get cold sores in one form or another. In fact, we ALL have a form of Herpes, just most of us rather avoid the sexually transmitted kind.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Not all of us. I've never had one nor has anyone in my family. I would freak out if I ever did get one too! I know some people can have herpes and never have any symtoms. But I am sure I do not have it.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

My point is that it can be passed on without a person knowing before it is too late. Cold sores can take a few hours before showing the signs. However, once it's reared its head, you gotta be blind not to see it

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The thing is that if you have herpes you can spread it even if your not broke out and showing no signs of infection at all. So this would mean that if you have ever had a cold sore that you would have to disclose it because you are capable of spreading it to others at anytime if your swaping fluids.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Having unprotected sex, knowing you have HIV/AIDS, is tantamount to murder, imo.

Doing it with Herpes is a bit different, but it's just as serious, imo. Full disclosure, or go to jail. I support that.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i dont know but im getting grossed out lol

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I went out with a girl for a while at one point and she told me this group of friends she hung out with had herpes. She would laugh and gloat about it.. making stupid jokes about bumps and sores. One night I got close to her and asked what this mark was on her leg, being a bit paranoid of her stories. She told me "it was nothing" but I didn't buy it. Thankfully my second mind down below took the hint and wasn't able to finish up for the night.

I anything that can scar you for life like a permanent STD should carry a penalty for non-disclosure. If I would have ended up catching something because some stupid girl lied to me like that I would be facing far worse consequences than she would have, if this were a law.

All people should be held accountable for their actions against another human, including what would be to them as a "small lie" that ends up ruining someone else's life.... not to mention the countless other lives they might have a part in ruining if said victim is not safe enough with anyone else he/she encounters.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I do agree, disclosure is important. Severely important. But prison for herpes? That's a bit harsh.

HIV/AIDS is of course more serious and if that infected person is aware of their condition, they should inform the person they are engaging in sexual activity with.

However, if that person was Not aware of their own condition and infected others with HIV/AIDS, then well, no punishment is needed. I think the guilt would be enough to make you want to throw yourself off a cliff.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by (C2C)

If a girl knew she had herpes and did not tell me and I caught it, she better hope that she goes to prison, because I would be
Its just wrong not to tell you have herpes if your going to be physical with them. I'm usually against most stupid government laws, but this one is great!!

i have herpes. and i'm so grateful that's all i have compared to all the other life ruining/debilitating STD's that are out there. it's seriously nothing compared to them. also 1/3 of americans have it, and i believe half of all new yorkers do.

in fact, it doesn't bother me at all now that i've come to terms with it. keeps you from making stupid impulsive choices at parties and opens up a great deal of trust/communication right away in a relationship.

but yeah i think everyone with aids should live on the moon until further notice.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

but yeah i think everyone with aids should live on the moon until further notice.

Well, isn't that awfully sympathetic of you.

ANYWAYS......

I have dodged the STD bullet a few times in my younger and less tied down days. There were a few girls that I almost slept with, then later found out that they had something gross. Luckily, I have avoided contracting anything from any of my other mis-adventures, and I believe it is extremely important from infected individuals to be upfront with anyone they intend on having an intimate relationship with. I definitely believe that there should be criminal consequences for not telling and infecting someone, but I dont know if the Canadians are going about it the right way.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

no they dont
isn't a cold sore just a soft name for herpies of the mouth?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Yep, loads of people have herpies, usually on the mouth. There is just stigma around genital herpies because it is an STD, it is still the same thing. At least if you have genital herpies no-one can see it! I have been out with many women who get cold sores and never disclose till they have an outbreak because they don't see it as an issue yet if it was genital herpies everyone would be like OMG, that's sick! How could you not tell me? I think there is a lot of hypocrisy with herpies simplex.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I think people give people sexual diseases on purpose. Does not have to be aids.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join