It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirty Days to Survive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
In the Event of a SitX , some people are led to believe that you would need to

prepare for a extremely long time, to survive. Not True. Most Survivalist will tell you

you need to Hunker Down for 30 days, lay low , the Majority of unprepared are

9 meals away from Anarchy. After those 9 are used , is when the actual selection

of the fitness will occur and you will want to Wait Out the Hysteria of the Sheeple.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I have read that most Americans only have 4 days of food in their homes.
Hunker down seems like a great idea!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
very true.

emphasis on the other unprepared people. you have to take this into consideration when prepping and being able to defend and hold what you have is just as important.

some folks out there believe it or not, have the strategy of just taking what you have because well....you were prepared....and they weren't.

me personally i stock enough for 30-60 days and then have some sort of renewable source like seeds incase it goes longer.

everything after that goes into bullets and teeth. i figure Dogs will be a decent commodity to barter in a post SHTF scenario...rottweilers in particular. always good to have a barter plan to trade for other things you may need. I dont think it will be hard to convince somebody they need a gaurd dog in a situation like that...and if things really get bad i guess you could eat the dogs.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've got about 20 days of food and water, and I'm starting to grow food. Looks like I'll be around for at least a month after the SHTF. Still need to finish that survival bunker though...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
oh yah!

i forgot. communications is also a thing that will help out alot...and would also be good warez to pawn off post SHTF.

HAM/CB radios. because the internet can poop out.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan

i figure Dogs will be a decent commodity to barter in a post SHTF scenario...rottweilers in particular. always good to have a barter plan to trade for other things you may need. I dont think it will be hard to convince somebody they need a gaurd dog in a situation like that...and if things really get bad i guess you could eat the dogs.

There won't be any dogs. I don't know why.
Sometimes I see flashes of the future and there are never any dogs.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

There won't be any dogs. I don't know why.
Sometimes I see flashes of the future and there are never any dogs.

Dogs will be a food source.

At least the wild ones would be.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

What is a sitX? I thought it was a file extension

Ahh, situation x. Hmm I wouldve thought 30days to be a bit too short, people will do amazing things in an attempt to survive. I suppose one could pop their head out to have a peak at whats going down every now and then. Even still Im thinking stocking enough food and water for as long as possible is the safest bet

[edit on 5-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

you need to Hunker Down for 30 days, lay low , the Majority of unprepared are

9 meals away from Anarchy. After those 9 are used , is when the actual selection

of the fitness will occur and you will want to Wait Out the Hysteria of the Sheeple.

But why would a prepared person want to hang their hat on a 30-day SitX run time? Put another way, is your strategy to survive by attrition?

I kinda tend toward preparing for what I can imagine, hoping that might cover my bases toward that which I can not. Rotate stocks, and the really cool thing about buying in bulk and rotating your stock is that the WORST case is that you save money.

No-brainer, right? Don't forget to account for water needs while planning. I personally think you're right in the sense that many people might fare better by hunkering than bugging out to semi- or unfamiliar territory.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hunkering down at home is not a wise decision, as the mobs will empty out shopping centres rapidly, then begin a house by house search for Food, Firearms/ammo, Females, and transport/fuel.

The sheer numbers of those within the mobs will dictate how long you will be able to hold out at home.. as ammunition will run out quickly, and the use of firearms WILL give away your position to all within ear-shot.

No point having Dogs, as they are competition for your food supplies. Your guard dogs will simply become food for the mobs. As hard as it may be for some, you will have to euthenase your pets once the SHTF.

Clean water will be a highly prized commodity. Once your own supply runs out.. if you have not fallen to the mobs by then.. you will need to leave the cities and venture out far beyond the farming and grazing areas to find any clean water to drink.

So perhaps it is more effective now while you have the luxury of time to find the paths you will take to the wilderness, and only stock enough of what you need to get you there and survive for a week or so while you hunt or find bush-tucker. The last being very important, and something you should know about well before you need to eat grasses, fiddle-heads, palm-hearts, etc.

Take a lesson from ancient times. Example:- When the Irish were invaded by any of the many cultures that landed there, some fought to retain what they had and died for it, some simply gave what they could and were allowed to live so that the raiders could return for more supplies as needed. This gave the tribes/villagers time to survive and rebuild stocks or leave for safer areas.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
30 days is a bit thin in my opinion. I guess it depends on where you are located as having 30 days of food in December would be bad if you live where it is cold and nothing edible grows in the winter months.

Depending on the time of year a "sit x" event happens... worse case 18-24 months before re-continuity of government.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hunkering down in the city or any urban setting is a very bad idea, mobs, etc. In a rural setting such a small farming community it could work, youd have at most a few hundred people to compete with and given that many are close knit, its possible that you wont even need to kill until a month or so in. Don't forget that they get large amounts of food in trips to the city and that the herds of cows and deer in rural settings would be great.

Actually, the more i think, the better a rural setting seems. Glad i have a cottage ;D

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
reply to post by Sean48

What is a sitX? I thought it was a file extension

Ahh, situation x. Hmm I wouldve thought 30days to be a bit too short, people will do amazing things in an attempt to survive. I suppose one could pop their head out to have a peak at whats going down every now and then. Even still Im thinking stocking enough food and water for as long as possible is the safest bet

SitX = breakdown of society

Either from disease (Swine Flu), Attack from hostile enemies , Economic collapse, etc...

Think of Katrina , but on a country wide scale.

No help would be coming, on your own.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
A lot depends on what the SitX is. Most people on this forum assume its a TEOTWAWKI scenario (which is quite fanciful and very Hollywood) and this kind of scenario has been discussed as imminent since time began and it still hasnt happened.

See one of the main stickies on this forum to what/which scenario you are LIKELY to face as opposed to the fantastical ones - Time for a reality check.

Also a lot can depend on what your local community are like. We dont all live in ghettos where gang rule is the norm, some of us actually live in nice law abiding communities. Think of what makes up your community as well - 50% to 60% may well be over the age of 65, 10% to 30% may be under the age of 16 - these figures need factoring in to your area. In a lot of 'natural' SitX's, communities pull together and help each other.

IMHO, Mob rule will be the exception, not the norm. Most people are naturally law abiding and know right from wrong. There are of course exceptions to that, but bullies normally get their come uppence when faced by a determined and organised group, especially if they are defending their homesteads. Strangers will look out of place in your community. Get to know your neighbours ..... they are less likely to want to do you harm if you are on first name terms with them.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I find this odd. I was talking to my neighbor about this same subject two days ago. I said,' are you worried about global food shortage and survival?" He said, food shortage, no but he said that survival would be tricky. I said, what do you mean? He replied that he would resort to cannabalism for food and to be careful not to trust noone, for you could be the next victim.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
People need to also focus on water. People can live a good while on little food, but turn off everyone's water supply and the SHTF very fast. It also seems to be easier to store 30 to 60 days of food over a very long peroid of time than to store the needed clean water.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Well, I'd lay low until the "booms", "screams/shouts", "smoke clouds from fires", etc., ends. Then I'd sneak in for a peek to see if it was worth it to return or not. You don't really need supplies to survive, depending on where you are at, and the season. Spring through Fall and I'll survive no problem, but being caught off guard in the winter time may be a bit bogus. I could manage still, but it would be bogus to have to jump in to the snow and cold without notice.

I find it very sad that people are loosing all touch with nature and true survivalism. Yeah learning the plants, insects, fungi, etc. helps, but there is also a deep buried natural wild instinct that not many realize is there.

A true survivalist never worries about what they would do, for they know nature, and they know man. A survivalists only fear is that nature or man may place them at ground zero never giving them a chance.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My advice... go ahead and move to the country. Get yourself a little farm and enjoy the lifestyle. It's hard work, but it is a good tired at the end of the day.

30-60 days food storage...heck, try about 6 months. Every year we store, can, freeze, preserve, dry about 100-150 quarts of tomatoes, same in green beans and butter beans, another 50-100 quarts of corn, pickled cabbage and kraut, we have chickens, eggs, about 10 hogs...gonna sell a few, goats, goat milk, a salet patch( turnip greens, mustard-kale), a root cellar we fill with about 10 bushels of potatoes...just finished the ones we dug up last July...really. we have a good well and across the road is a big lake, our house is on a hill with swamp to the rear on 2 sides and a creek on the other.

We also have a horse, and may get a cow... we live naturally, and use few chemicals...

We burn wood and will soon start cutting for next winter, we also sell firewood...decent pocket money.

Live the life, learn the skills your gran'daddy used to live by, know your neighbors...have guns for every use, don't tell anything you don't want others to know.

We could hole up here for quite a while... my biggest fear would be either a nuclear strike and fallout, or a major eruption with subsequent ash fall and blast...ie Yellowstone. That would devestate the enviroment. The second fear would be airborne insertion and occupation of our community... then we would have to go mobile and underground...ie Charlie/VC.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Ideally ...

- Deep underground with a lead barrier to prevent satellite penetration and in a low or non earethquake zone
- 18-24 months food minimum
- growth facilities that facilitate mushrooms, healthy herbs, proteins and high-potency plant life
- artificial heat and light from thermal sources under the earth, gravity-based technology that takes advantage of running water or tidal currents, ... what else ...
- airlocks to prevent nano-contamination and a lab to analyze any situation
- construction equipment to allow expansion, and an already tunneled location to store ore and waste
- a fully functional, exhaustive library regarding science
- consider pressure propulsionéundersea colonies that do not rely on surfacing
- air filtration systems, or an enclosed ecosystem that is self-supporting
- off-radar technology
- wine-beer-marajuana enough to keep psycological situations relaxed
- a meritous method of temporary rule that will help everyone and keep radical elements in scope ... not suggesting control, but a collective will of understanding over the situation, philosopher rule, a republic of rule-by-the-wisest
- rationing enforced, good suggestions always listened to
- counter-nanotechnology, data-base of current understanding
- no arguements over religion or race.
- talk about dwarves and elves for a year acceptable for a year or two

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
People need to also focus on water. People can live a good while on little food, but turn off everyone's water supply and the SHTF very fast. It also seems to be easier to store 30 to 60 days of food over a very long peroid of time than to store the needed clean water.

YES water,,.
Anyone can pick up a Great water pump purifier, at any good camping place/store.. or go on line for a cleanable as apposed to a Replaceable filter type. its light weight compared to carrying 5gals of water..

We as humans can and will eat anything, but CLEAN water.. is the most important tool.. IMHO

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join