It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find new, inexpensive way to predict Alzheimer's disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
April 5, 2010

Your brain's capacity for information is a reliable predictor of Alzheimer's disease and can be cheaply and easily tested, according to scientists.

Brain Training Games - Improve memory with scientifically designed brain exercises. -

www.lumosity.com/BrainMemory

"We have developed a low-cost behavioral assessment that can clue someone in to Alzheimer's disease at its earliest stage," said Michael Wenger, associate professor of psychology, Penn State. "By examining (information) processing capacity, we can detect changes in the progression of mild cognitive impairment (MCI)."

MCI is a condition that affects language, memory, and related mental functions. It is distinct from the ordinary mental degradation associated with aging and is a likely precursor to the more serious Alzheimer's disease. Both MCI and Alzheimer's are linked to a steady decline in the volume of the hippocampus, the area of the brain responsible for long term memory and spatial reasoning.

www.physorg.com...

This is wonderful if it works, having worked with Alzheimer's patients is very difficult, I know there is on going research for a cure, it cannot come soon enough. This is such a tragic disease, not just for the patient but families and at this point there is nothing they can do, I know there are medications but from what I have seen it just covers it up.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think I already know the answer for me, both of my Grandfathers have it
I sure hope they find a good treatment or it in the future, it's a horrible disease. Anyway cool article

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

I am so sorry to hear that your grandfathers have, bless them asmall89, pray that they find a cure for this horrific disease very soon.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Oh there is a way to cure it.

However the cost is one of quite cheap and also does not mean the drugs companies get money!

Also due to issues of "Capability" to consent by the time it’s realised it needs to be done esp in quickly degrading cases, or in early onset.

Until just at the beginning of 2010 I spent 5 years ( as did Psych nursing when younger) caring for someone Dementia, my caregiver. Unfortunately I couldn’t clone myself lol, so when any respite or other people called they couldn’t deal with the aggressive nature etc, and that person is now in secure residential.

It was exhausting and I am only just getting some sort of normality back into my life to. It is a cruel and horrible disease, both for the sufferers in the late stages, and all those around them in the rest of it.

Aluminium, avoid it, don’t cook with it, don’t have it in your food, get it out of your house. Check your deodorant, if its aluminium based where do you think it goes, that is absorbed by the skin?

Other studies besides the one you have shown, have shown that IQ intelligence and metal activity have not much to do with it, stressing an more environmental and genetic cause.

Also there is some tentative evidence (post-mortem) that some of the plaques seen in Alk (not lewy body or other dementia) have also the Herpes virus within the plaques in the brain. This makes sense as its a disease of the nervous system.

Also other statistical evidence does show that those who get rages of uncontrolled anger much in life may increase their chance, those who are very negative and think the worst all the time, imagine bad situations a lot and in addition act or get very angry in words and actions, to the degree that they are not in control. If this is habitual and a strong part of your make up, this may due to hormones, blood pressures, peptides, stress etc make you more predisposed.

Heres the cure, its simple, all we need is a brain wash lol, well for the cerebral spinal fluid around the brain to be changed and cleanse as such by new fluid....as it seems those with Alk have the tiny valve by C1 (vertebra) blocked so the fluid builds up in toxins, not being refreshed, and these pollutants seep into the brain creating the changes.

As said no money simple one of procedures, so gets no funding or acceptance:

One Russian neurophysiologist certainly thinks so—in fact, he’s dead set on proving it. New Scientist reports that Yuri Moskalenko, former president of the Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, believes that trepanation—drilling a hole in the skull, once a tool of witch doctors to cure migraines—could help anyone from their mid-40s or older to “slow or even reverse the process of age-related cognitive decline.” His reasoning is described as follows:

Discovery

I have somewhere an paper that went to peer review by an Australian? Neurosurgeon who had to trepan some early Alk patients due to other problems they had, Trauma and Craniotomies due to sub and epi dural haematomas...etc... He noticed that after doing this to treat one thing, i.e. stopping the brain swelling due to trauma, that their dementia and cognitive abilities where drastically different.

He did some research with Post Mortem and found the valve at the back of the neck which is very small and allows a flow of cerebrospinal fluid up and down the spinal cord and around the brain, to be replaced, and cleansed... and also regulates pressure was blocked. Unable due to the position of said valve and its tiny size to do any surgical interventions in people the only way seem to be trepanning or craniotomies etc... so he waited until more dementia suffers needed similar interventions for both trauma and chronic/acute neurological conditions separate from the Dementia.

As his database and observations increased he noticed every time an marked cognitive improvement, and this was also related to the staff by the patients.

This is probably where the Russian got the idea. This work in the Southern Hemisphere (as by you should be easier to find) was done about 5- 10 years ago, and he collated and as said presented the evidence.

Has he got funding?

Has his research and proof been accepted and integrated?

Is anyone besides the Russians taking notice?

Nope of course not, there is no pills and $ involved. Also the medical community is unwilling to accept this as they just follow what they were told in College, being "Gods" and all to much ego involved.

Its very Late early hours in the UK so I wont source all of the above or spend hours digging for this Paper, but you now have the directions as such anyone interested in researching more.

I do remember saying to my caregivers Psychiatrist and showing her the submitted to journal work, saying " As I act on XXXXXX behalf as she requested in all her affairs, I want to get this done for her, I know it would not be accepted in the UK for Capability (informed and capable choice) reasons, so If I book a plane and take her to somewhere in Asia/Russia/Africa to get it done, what would your reaction be?"

Having worked with Psych's for many years in different settings I must say it was the first time ive seen one go completely silent and open mouthed. She got really nervous and did not know what to say or do. However I was informed the next day through her office that such a move would implicate me legally, and cause much problems as it was "quedo science" and not accepted and could be deemed as "abuse" also that if said person died due to any implications, infections etc I could implicated in Manslaughter charges!

They seriously don’t want people to get well, even when it’s staring them in the face.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Alzheimer's research
The latest research on Alzheimer's

Here are some good references at this site that you may want to check out if someone in your family has this disease, get the links at this link.

alzheimers.about.com...

Articles & Resources

Understanding How the Black Community View Dementia
Alzheimer's disease among African Americans has been described as a silent epidemic. Beyond the acknowledgement that black people have high rates of dementia, more needs to be understood about the concept of dementia and the support available to and within the black community.
Marijuana May Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
Marijuana May Prevent Alzheimer's Disease
Could Caffeine Reduces Risk of Alzheimer's Disease?
Could caffeine reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease? Researchers at the Byrd Alzheimer's Institute in Florida have found caffeine intake not only appears to protect against Alzheimer's but may actually help those who already have the disease.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Helpful or not, ya might wanna check out a recent documentary called, "Under Our Skin".

I thought I'd have a much tougher time getting through it than I did. It is quite informative and very classy in presentation. I was actually surprised I didn't get the creeps from watching it.

Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and a number of other incurable diseases may just come from ticks as they carry many diseases at the same time apparently...not the least of which is the ever-popular and oh-so-controversial Lyme Disease.

Thanks to this flick, it's no longer controversial in my mind. If I get any symptoms of any of these incurable diseases, I'll simply add a Lyme test on top of the rest...if I can find a Doctor who cares enough about people to be as brave as we need them to be.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Under Our Skin - Lyme Disease Documentary Trailer

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
There is a small rising of doctors and biologists who state that degenerative diseases and what is supposedly autoimmune diseases is actually caused by infectious pathogens.

They are surely being highly criticised and scrutinised by the mainstream though.

Their claims took me by surprise, myself being a little biased to the natural therapies.

If proven correct, this could lead to the removal of a Vitamin currently required in the diet.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Although the evidence is preliminary and inconclusive, the element Silicon was found to inhibit the intestinal absorption of aluminium.

Diatomaceous Earth, the natural insect and parasite killer by causing dehydration, silicon dioxide, is possibly helpful to attenuate aluminium toxicity maybe.

Of course there is silicosis as potential side-effect.

Edit - There is a 2nd major side-effect of inorganic silicon, disrupting the thyroid gland.

Those effects might not occur in organic silicon, such as those contained in Beer...

Also, fluoride's toxicity was found to be increased by aluminium in toxicological animal studies.

Fluoride and aluminium are best friends, one increase the toxicity of each other and vice versa.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Fluoride and aluminum are best friends, one increase the toxicity of each other and vice versa.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive studies on either fluoride or aluminum, I tend to think fluoride is the major problem since it's in our water and toothpaste, you can avoid both by drinking purified water and using toothpaste without fluoride, I did that years ago. Another problem could be mercury in fillings, heavy concentrations of any metal in our bodies are toxic.

new topics

top topics

join