It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama : No Nukes Even In Self Defence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — President Obama said Monday that he was revamping American nuclear strategy to substantially narrow the conditions under which the United States would use nuclear weapons, even in self-defense.
Im sure that china and Russia and Pakistan are going to love this. www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Not necessarily sure what to make of this... In one sense, I see his point. In another, I don't see the point in broadcasting it as such. But, yeah, a world with fewer nuclear weapons is probably a pretty good thing. A world devoid of ALL nuclear weapons is certainly an outstanding thing - albeit a pipedream.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Excellent news! It's good to see the U.S. stepping up to make it known these type weapons are unacceptable to humankind and to our planet.

Good for Obama!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Gotta give props where props are due.

His nuclear ambitions are actually quite sound and make a lot of sense, I have to applaud Obama on this front.

Even if he only dismantles two during his term, that's still two less possible accidents and or destruction of our race.

Well done.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Not necessarily sure what to make of this... In one sense, I see his point. In another, I don't see the point in broadcasting it as such. But, yeah, a world with fewer nuclear weapons is probably a pretty good thing. A world devoid of ALL nuclear weapons is certainly an outstanding thing - albeit a pipedream.
My feelings exactly kozmo . !

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I wonder if this movie (clip from trailer below) could be influencing POTUS policy making, just a thought. Film's called "Amazing Grace And Chuck" and deal's with the president getting rid of all nuclear weapons....

videodetective.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
As much as I would applaud such an action, I seriously doubt that is the correct course or action. For years, especially during the cold war, the peace was maintained with the concept of M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) To remove all options of using a nuclear weapon is not the way to go, not should it be. Reducing down the number of weapons yes, but keeping that option on the table, and when you have the history to back up that you will use it to end conflicts means that it will always be on the minds of anyone who attacks the US. This is a bad mistake and in any case, the president can sign anything he wants, but unless it has congressional approval, it will never be honored in the US.
From the point of view of legal aspects the only reason to use a nuclear weapon is after the first one goes off on your home soil. Having a proven weapon of mass desctruction and the will to use it goes a long way to preventing an attack, more so than negotiating.
But at the same time I don't think that anyone would be stupid enough to use such a weapon as it would bring the weight of the world, and especially all of the nuclear powers, (Those who sit on the UN Security Council) down on that country or group for using such a weapon.
With more and more of the rogue and countries of the world hating the US, it would be a matter of time before one of those leaders deciding to actually launch a weapon at the US. Question is are you willing to risk the lives of yourself, your family, your neighbors and your city on them not doing such?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
reply to post by bluemooone2

I wonder if this movie (clip from trailer below) could be influencing POTUS policy making, just a thought. Film's called "Amazing Grace And Chuck" and deal's with the president getting rid of all nuclear weapons....

videodetective.com...

Of cpurse can't say for sure, on Obama's motives, but that movie is at least 20 years old.

Excellent flick though.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Somehow some teaparty loon is going to call him an illuminati puppet for advocating this.

I'm glad a US president has finally said the right thing. Good on you Obama. Time to change the world, leading by example. No more will America's beauty be skin deep.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Nukes are becoming embarrassing. IF we hadn't discovered it, we'd still be in those good old conventionnal warfare our ancestors loved so much.
I can't imagine what the world map would look like without them. Maybe fewer Marines accross the globe. Just a guess...

I applause his decision, but don't be fooled, ATSers, if the USA are seriously attacked our friend Barry won't move a muscle, minutemen will have already left their silos.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Gotta give props where props are due.

His nuclear ambitions are actually quite sound and make a lot of sense, I have to applaud Obama on this front.

Even if he only dismantles two during his term, that's still two less possible accidents and or destruction of our race.

Well done.

~Keeper

I agree completely, he's struck a good balance here between protection of the United States and calming fears that the US will ever be trigger happy. It's good to see America finally put into writing some logical and reasonable policy regarding the use of nuclear weapons. Now if Russia, China, France, Israel, The United Kingdom, India and Pakistan will please follow suit.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Less nuclear weapons is a great thing but the conspiracist in me is wondering whether this is leading towards the next false flag attack in America.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Wide-Eyes]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Ill probs get attcked for saying this round here, but ive been thinking lately that obama is a free thinking puppet about to break free from his tight strings. He's been copping mainstream corprate media attacks and amateur conspriacy flack for a good reason, he was never supposed to have been in office, he's not from the same fraction than the rockefella or rothschild and they have been on the attack since he got in there. I dont think movies like obama deception do this increadibly complex scenario any credit, and guys like alex jones are being fed dis-info and lappping it up to keep the rating going. I send my love and support to obama amoungst a sea of hate, refusing to use nukes is very humane, well done obama.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Just thinking out loud here, and not making conclusions, but what if instead of a terrorist attack involving Nuclear weapon's as some on here have suggested in other threads, this decision, and the subsequent policy changes are what lead's to a Nuclear destruction scenario? After all this time of trying to figure out how they would do it, what if instead, it's not them (terrorists) but another nation with Nuclear capability that set's things off.... Like I said, just thinking around this, not making statement's of fact, looking at all the angle's is all....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Now if Russia, China, France, Israel, The United Kingdom, India and Pakistan will please follow suit.

Following through on paper and promises is easy. Following through to make sure Countries are sticking to their word is a total different ballgame.

Do you really think countries can trust each other that much?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
According to the text you posted your thread title is a LIE.

He is narrowing the parameters of nuclear weapon usage.

I think that IS a good thing.

While i agree that we [& everyone else] should all get rid of almost all of our nuclear stockpile, i disagree with the [Obama's] notion of an absolutely nuclear free world.

Aliens may already be here or they may show up some day.
I think a sprinkling of nuclear capacity has to be well advisable.

We have no idea what they may be about.
Keep a couple of useful cards up your sleeves for emergencies.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
China's reaction photo.....

en.mercopress.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I love how Canada and Europe think old Barry is the second coming of Jesus. The man is an incompetent turd of a president. Jimmy Carter II.

And before you get all "Well what about Bush?! He is way better than Bush!!!one 1%2!!1

Bush was an idiot as well. Neither of them are qualified to hold office, yet somehow they both got elected.

That's the sad state of politics today my friends.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hate to rain on everyones parade, but there is one more thing that everyone tends not to think of. A nuclear missile is like a bullet, there is the missile portion that fires off the warhead towards it target, the fuel in the missile, the electronics and the nuclear warhead. Now of all of those components, it is the 'bullet' or nuclear warhead that can not be reporcessed. You can not bury it and forget about it, you can not expose it to the ground as the particles are so toxic, it would destroy all life in the surrounding area. You may get rid of the missiles, but the threat still remains, so whose backyard are we going to deposit the warheads in? Right now there is, to my knowledge, one facility that is used to store the warheads, but that is only a temporary solution. The material can not be used in any energy plant, the purity is far too great. So no matter how you deal with such, the threat will always be present, just now that some state is going to be at risk for having the nuclear warheads of a bunch of missiles in one area, rather than a whole bunch of missiles that the military takes the time to upkeep, ensure that they are in operational readiness, no leaking or posing a threat to the local communities. Roulette anyone? At least with a bunch of missiles under strick controls is alot better than one facility.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am quite sure if they wanted to they could dig a VERY deep hole to put the waste in,

God knows they have enough of them already.

Of course if they did they might have atrocities exposed or be found to be conspiring with aliens in underground bases.

Besides military psychos want to have a lot of toxic shjt laying around to shove down other people's throats.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join