It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCAVs, Area Denial and 1,000,000 RPM guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ok, I've been watching this company for some time now. They are quite clever. If someone has already posted about them then my apologies, I did the best search I could and recieved no results of any posts on this site. The company is Metal Storm out of Australia. They developed a firing system that doesn't use shell casings. This in turn means no magazines or shells. See instead of individual rounds fired oune at a time out of a barrel, they stack the projectiles inside a barrel and fire them electronically. This means no firing pins, or jammed slides. Also should a round happen to fail the next trigger pull will clear both rounds. Given the lack of mechanical means they have gotten the ROF up to 1,000,000 RPM. They haven't stopped at guns either. Everything from UCAVs to Area Denial (motor type pods holding multiple barrels). I highly reccomend checking out their website. They talk openly about their applications and the U.S. Governments interest. Also, they have a video section with demonstrations of all their prototypes. There is some really nice footage showing the ease of reloading, changing the rate of fire on everything from handheld firearms to grenadelaunchers anywhere from 300rpm to 240,000/1,000,000rpm. All in all I would say they will revolutionise the battlefield once we start seeing these being used. Their website is www.metalstorm.com...

Lyth

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
yeah ive heard of this stuff before.

pretty impressive, but imagine what it will be able to do in the future.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
That very company was featured on a history channel show about a month or so back. Some of the prototype equipment demonstrated was extremely interesting.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
yeah ive heard of this stuff before.

pretty impressive, but imagine what it will be able to do in the future.

I know thats the scary thing isnt it? the UCAV video is pretty impressive. if they get that kind of technology to work it will deffintiely give troops an upperhand. It's insane what they are researching.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't mean this as an insult, Lythium. I really am curious. What did you search for? I used the Google site-search (good for single term searches) for "metalstorm" and got 23 hits. A boolean search for "metal" + "storm" using the default settings got tons of hits, too.

Metalstorm is impressive stuff, btw.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have seen these prototypes on television too. If you take 36. barrel weapon and put some heath detectors on it so it would react on humans nearby it would be a Real-Killer. And then it doen't need an operator..

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
I don't mean this as an insult, Lythium. I really am curious. What did you search for? I used the Google site-search (good for single term searches) for "metalstorm" and got 23 hits. A boolean search for "metal" + "storm" using the default settings got tons of hits, too.

Metalstorm is impressive stuff, btw.

No insult taken Spectre, I should have worded it better.

I said, "If someone has already posted about them then my apologies, I did the best search I could and recieved no results of any posts on this site." What I was getting at was I searched on this discussion board to see if anyone else had already posted info about this company. I didn't want to report info that had already been reported. I didn't need to look them up on google because I've been following this company since late '01. I just wanted to share what I knew about them but figured someone else would have already posted about them given how open they are about their R&D. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vliango
I have seen these prototypes on television too. If you take 36. barrel weapon and put some heath detectors on it so it would react on humans nearby it would be a Real-Killer. And then it doen't need an operator..

It's a great thought V, and one they are looking into as part of their Area Denial package. The main problem with a guidance system like that is distinguishing from human and animal/other heat sources and more importantly hostile and freindly targets. Get that down and your in business. Until of course they put heat camo into use.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
dont they have a granade launcher metalstorm?? area denial type outfit??
i think they ran it thru a laptop pc,,,if i saw correctly....like the 20mm cannon in the jackal movie.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wararts
dont they have a granade launcher metalstorm?? area denial type outfit??
i think they ran it thru a laptop pc,,,if i saw correctly....like the 20mm cannon in the jackal movie.

They do, it's 40mm and comes in a 36 barrel stack firind up to 96(?) nades at 240,000 rounds a minute. If you go to their website in the video sections is a downloadable video of them firing several prototypes of the grenade launcher. BTW at 3,000rpm the grenades are less than 31cm apart as they fly through the air.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
thanks for the info Lythium,,i just saw them videos,,,i think the future of heavy weapons is definatly metalstorm type weaponry..this stuff rocks!!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

thanks for the info Lythium,,i just saw them videos,,,i think the future of heavy weapons is definatly metalstorm type weaponry..this stuff rocks!!

Heck yeah it does, did you catch the slow motion impact of 180 rounds fired at 1 million rounds a minute? It was like a shot gun blast. Also if you watch the Blossom field tests at the end you can see a slug punching through the side of a car, blowing a hole through both doors the size of a bowling ball. Just for info the slug is a 1.5" x 3" cylinder...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
yeah!!! its incredible!! metalstrom would just decimate a target in seconds...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

yeah!!! its incredible!! metalstrom would just decimate a target in seconds...

Aye, there system is solid, especially thier O'Dwyer VLe handgun for police. I'm seriously thinking of investing in their company, they have had a solid clime in value the past few years and I'm honestly buying into their product. Hopefully, the bubble doesn't burst right after i buy, but I think thats out of the question seeing as how they haven't even started selling product yet.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
i heard about this a few weeks ago from a friend and this was also mentioned in the "what do you thinkk of nukes" thread....heh just to tell you.....i thought it was mounted on a firetruck....oh well i must be wrong

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
i totaly agree....investing in the company would be like investing in the future of warfare,, i doubt they will fail. but as you said...they still have not even sold one of there weapons yet.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by wararts]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

i totaly agree....investing in the company would be like investing in the future of warfare,, i doubt they will fail. but as you said...they still have not even sold one of there weapons yet.

Investing in the future of warfare yes, quadrupiling that investment when they actaully start selling...HELL YES

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
look on the enemys face when they start firing at them,, priceless....

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

look on the enemys face when they start firing at them,, priceless....

LMAO

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
howw accurate would these things be....even if it fires a million rounds per second it still has to be accurate....its like a shotgun....it fires but then it spreads

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join