It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redoubt May Erupt Again- AVO Raises Alert after Many Quakes!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

REDOUBT VOLCANO (CAVW #1103-03-)
60°29'7" N 152°44'38" W, Summit Elevation 10197 ft (3108 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: ADVISORY
Current Aviation Color Code: YELLOW

AVO raised the Aviation Color Code to YELLOW and the Volcano Alert Level to ADVISORY at Redoubt volcano this morning. A series of small repetitive earthquakes began at 01:44 AKDT (0944 UTC) this today in the vicinity of the volcano's summit. Activity is continuing this afternoon. See www.avo.alaska.edu...

These earthquakes may be precursory to renewed eruptive activity at the volcano and increased instability of the lava dome. Whether this will result in explosive activity or failure of the lava dome is unknown at this time. However, there is a heightened possibility of volcanic activity that would produce a volcanic ash cloud, pyroclastic avalanches, and lahars and flooding down the Drift River.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

See Webicorder here:
www.avo.alaska.edu...

Yep, that don't look good.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

REDOUBT VOLCANO (CAVW #1103-03-)
60°29'7" N 152°44'38" W, Summit Elevation 10197 ft (3108 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: ADVISORY
Current Aviation Color Code: YELLOW

AVO raised the Aviation Color Code to YELLOW and the Volcano Alert Level to ADVISORY at Redoubt volcano this morning. A series of small repetitive earthquakes began at 01:44 AKDT (0944 UTC) this today in the vicinity of the volcano's summit. Activity is continuing this afternoon. See www.avo.alaska.edu...

These earthquakes may be precursory to renewed eruptive activity at the volcano and increased instability of the lava dome. Whether this will result in explosive activity or failure of the lava dome is unknown at this time. However, there is a heightened possibility of volcanic activity that would produce a volcanic ash cloud, pyroclastic avalanches, and lahars and flooding down the Drift River.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

See Webicorder here:
www.avo.alaska.edu...

Yep, that don't look good.

again??????????? busy busy

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah, pretty bizarre. I have station RSO up in GEE, along with several others around Redoubt, and only RSO seems to be showing anything. They are real small quakes, but they are consistent, and incessant- one right after the other.

I suppose they will wait until these start increasing in magnitude before any further alert is sounded.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
hey thats the volcano i look at from my porch

it went of continually last spring for about 6months.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Yeah, pretty bizarre. I have station RSO up in GEE, along with several others around Redoubt, and only RSO seems to be showing anything. They are real small quakes, but they are consistent, and incessant- one right after the other.

I suppose they will wait until these start increasing in magnitude before any further alert is sounded.

I can't locate RSO on my GEE - can you tell me what it's near or any other station worth watching nearby? The nearest I have with data available is Kodiak Island

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Sure. RSO is part of the Alaska Volcano Observatory. The network is AV.

First, in your station chooser, select "Extremely Short Period"

Next, hit "Add Network"

Add the network AV, with your map zoomed in on Alaska.

You will see a bunch of new stations come up, all over Alaska.

Now in your station chooser, scroll down under AV until you see station AV.RSO, and click it once to see it highlight on the map.

Click Load Realtime Data, and you're in business.

Also note other stations immediately around RSO, and those are the ones monitoring Redoubt. You can open any of those too, but easier. Just click on them in the map, and Load Realtime Data again.

ETA: Actually RSO appears to have stopped transmitting at the moment, but try some of the other ones.

[edit on Tue Apr 6th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You're a star - much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
hey thats the volcano i look at from my porch

it went of continually last spring for about 6months.

Wow you can see a Volcano from your porch?

I am so jealous of you right now.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

actually i can see 3 volcanoes from my porch and windows, Spur, Redoubt, and illamna (i think i spelled illamna wrong haha)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
4.7 Alaska, somewhat close to redoubt?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Wed Apr 7th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

4.2 Alaska, somewhat close to redoubt?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

No it was 27 miles away from Anchorage and I think where the volcano is at it's about 300 miles (not 100% sure on the distance) not nowhere near the volcano

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

Yeah, I see that now after tracking it down. Man, that sukka hit over 5 mm/sec at station SKN. No wonder they upgraded it from 4.2 to 4.7- and it is still pending review by a seismologist.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

its actually less then a 100miles from anchorage, and its less then 20miles from me

thank god for the cook inlet, i would hate to be right next to that bad boy, least this way i can still clearly see it without having to live right next to it haha.

I've actually worked at the drift river facility a few times, its pretty neat being right at its base, it looks surprisingly different from that close, you just see more details and contours.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

its actually less then a 100miles from anchorage, and its less then 20miles from me

aw man I thought it was near kenai. I just couldn't remember how close it was. Been way too long since my last Alaska geography class.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by sandman441]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hmmm, definite increase in activity !!

www.avo.alaska.edu...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes, good catch. I kind of got tired of watching it there a week ago or so, so I quit monitoring it. But yeah, those are the very quick, successive quakes that caused them to raise the alert level, and now they're back. Another one to watch. Star for you, for paying attention! Thanks.

top topics

join