It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of UFO in a military manual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Here is a picture from a an old military manual that shows a UFO. Wonder if that means the military did or does believe there are UFOs?

Manual from which the picture is from.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by REMISNE]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
"In any case not covered by instructions".. lol, I guess a UFO would surely qualify.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by REMISNE

I guess that is the closest thing to disclosure people will get. Clearly, if something involving UFO's happens while on duty, they want you to tell as little people as possible, and most likely tell a higher ranking officer who will in turn yell at you and tell you, "YOU DIDNT SEE ANYTHING RIGHT? RIGHT?"

Gotta love it.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by REMISNE

Surely it is evidence a)that the military had a sense of humour, and b) that they thought UFO's were a joke?
If someone draws a cartoon of a white-bearded man sitting on a cloud, that doesn't necessarily show that the artist believes in God.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Good find OP

Where did you find this manual?

And what year does it date back to? Looks rather dated, but the fact that the marine in the drawing is holding what looks to be an early M16, it has to be at least around Vietnam era.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by REMISNE

Surely it is evidence a)that the military had a sense of humour, and b) that they thought UFO's were a joke?
If someone draws a cartoon of a white-bearded man sitting on a cloud, that doesn't necessarily show that the artist believes in God.

That is what one would think, had there not been NUMEROUS sighting of UFO's by military personnel. My grandfather was in the US Navy, USAF, and worked for Aerospace Contractors, often funded by the govt. He will be the first to tell you that whatever UFO's are, he has personally seen them many times, and so has probably 25% of the armed forces, especially higher ranking, and intelligence officers.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by REMISNE

nice find.

I heard there was an EMS pamphlet that covered how to handle crashed ET craft, but I never verified it. They should have one of those goofy videos they show on AFN about this.

Cue 50's music and bring in the Beavers mom, OK, now show the creature from the black lagoon crawling out of a smoking pile of tin foil. Ok, great.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by REMISNE

That is what one would think, had there not been NUMEROUS sighting of UFO's by military personnel. My grandfather was in the US Navy, USAF, and worked for Aerospace Contractors, often funded by the govt. He will be the first to tell you that whatever UFO's are, he has personally seen them many times, and so has probably 25% of the armed forces, especially higher ranking, and intelligence officers.

There are definitely UFOs and the military knows it. What they are is another story, perhaps 1 in 4 may seen by military folks may be secret military craft but that doesn't explain the other 3/4. I read the military had serious concerns about UFOs, not just because they thought UFOs were a threat, but because they thought the Soviet Union could build or disguise a craft to look like a UFO or flying saucer for a first strike sneak attack. Because so many people thought the UFO subject was a joke and reports of unidentified craft might not be taken seriously, it would make the perfect cover for a Soviet attack.

There is a document called: "The CIA's Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90"

And it looks like the link on the CIA website is broken or has been removed....this is the link that comes up when you search the CIA website or Google and it gives a 404 error:

www.cia.gov...

Google has the page temporarily cached so you better save this before it disappears too:

www.cia.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Th e CIA's Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90

Edit: because it's a Google cached page, I can't get the link to work properly, but if you click "quote" on this post as if you were going to reply, you might be able to copy and paste the appropriate part of the link above into your browser to get it to work. Alternately you can type the name of the document into Google and open the Google cache of the CIA site yourself. [end edit]

Because of the tense Cold War situation and increased Soviet capabilities, the CIA Study Group saw serious national security concerns in the flying saucer situation. The group believed that the Soviets could use UFO reports to touch off mass hysteria and panic in the United States. The group also believed that the Soviets might use UFO sightings to overload the US air warning system so that it could not distinguish real targets from phantom UFOs. H. Marshall Chadwell, Assistant Director of OSI, added that he considered the problem of such importance "that it should be brought to the attention of the National Security Council, in order that a communitywide coordinated effort towards it solution may be initiated."

Of special concern were overseas reports of UFO sightings and claims that German engineers held by the Soviets were developing a "flying saucer" as a future weapon of war.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Not to ruffle any feathers, but does anyone know when this manual is from? The cartoon appears to look much more like a zeppelin than a UFO.I am in no way trying to insinuate that there aren't UFO's, I'm pretty sure I saw a couple when I was stationed at Ft. Benning. I'm just curious when the manual is from because it could certainly be a depiction of a dirigible.

chrisabraham.com...

www.pelgranepress.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter vlar
Not to ruffle any feathers, but does anyone know when this manual is from? The cartoon appears to look much more like a zeppelin than a UFO.I am in no way trying to insinuate that there aren't UFO's, I'm pretty sure I saw a couple when I was stationed at Ft. Benning. I'm just curious when the manual is from because it could certainly be a depiction of a dirigible.

chrisabraham.com...

www.pelgranepress.com...

dude zepelins , dont have windows in that part , pls search some photos of zepelins ....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed good find op. The military has always had a very high interest in ufos since the 40's it's no surprise at all that theyve got protocols etc on the subject.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marsel

chrisabraham.com...

www.pelgranepress.com...

dude zepelins , dont have windows in that part , pls search some photos of zepelins ....

Dude, its a cartoon, not a photo. also, I actually linked photos of American and German made dirigibles. I'm rather well aware of what they look like.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marsel

chrisabraham.com...

www.pelgranepress.com...

Dude, its a cartoon, not a photo. also, I actually linked photos of American and German made dirigibles. I'm rather well aware of what they look like.

so if you are aware of what they look like , why are you stating that the illustration might be zepelins ?

and who said that this is a photo ?

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Marsel]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
FEMA Firefighters Manual Covers UFO Attacks, Crashes Vid LINK:
gizmodo.com...

Hi all,

Came across the above as interviewed by ABC News while looking for more pages of the OP's military UFO procedure manual, as I've seen all of them before.

Don't think FEMA wanted chapter 13 exposed, but there it is. I found the closing video statement hilarious in that it seems to attempt a side stepping maneuver away from 'UFO' procedure.

Decoy

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
There are definitely UFOs and the military knows it.

Of course. The U.S. Military has never denied that there aren't UFOs. The only really definitive thing they've ever said about them was that they didn't appear to represent a threat to national security. And they apparently don't.

They never said they were alien space ships. They never said they were all top secret aircraft. Or Russian aircraft. Or weather conditions. Or time travelers. Or mass hysteria. They never said anything about what they were.

But it doesn't hurt to use an illustration of your basic flying saucer/egg to let somebody know that if they see one (whatever it is), they should get on the horn and report it.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by REMISNE

thanks, nice find....

also check here.....

DEPARTMENT Of THE AIR FORCE

HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY

USAF ACADEMY, COLORADO 80840

REPLY TO ATTN OF: OI 4 NOV 1970

In reference to your recent inquiry to the Air Force Academy concerning Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO's), the following facts are provided for your information.

The subject of UFO's is examined briefly at the end of an Academy elective course, Physics 370, which usually attracts approximately 20 students per semester. The UFO subject falls under the course objective of discussing all observable or reported physical phenomena occurring from the surface of the sun to the surface of the planets.

When the UFO subject was first included in the course, the subject served, from an academic point of view, to illustrate that when contradictory data are available, the best course is to keep an open mind and search for further data. The subject remains an excellent vehicle to discuss the implications and applications of many basic physical laws to "observed" phenomena.

The source of recent news media stories concerning the study of UFO's at the Air Force Academy was an out-of-date chapter in the course text entitled "Introductory Space Science", a two-volume, 470-page unpublished work printed in a spiral notebook by the Academy for classroom use. The last chapter in the second volume was a 14-page chapter entitled "Unidentified Flying Objects".

When this chapter was written and printed in 1968, the Air Force was still collecting reports of UFO sightings under Project Blue Book and sponsoring the investigation of UFO's by Dr. E. U. Condon of the University of Colorado.

The Condon report was completed in early 1969 with the general conclusion that nothing has come from the study of UFO's in the past two decades that has added to scientific knowledge and that further extensive study of UFO's probably cannot be justified in the expectation that science will be advanced.

INTRODUCTORY SPACE SCIENCE - VOLUME II - DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS - USAF

33.6 CONCLUSION

From available information, the UFO phenomenon appears to have been global in nature for almost 50,000 years. The majority of known witnesses have been reliable people who have seen easily-explained natural phenomena, and there appears to be no overall possitive correlation with population density. The entire phenomenon could be psychological in nature but that is quite doubtful. However, psychological factors probably do enter the data picture as "noise." The phenomenon could also be entirely due to known and unknown phenomena (with some psychological "noise" added in) but that too is questionable in view of some of the available data.

This leaves us with the unpleasant possibility of alien visitors to our planet, or at least of alien controlled UFO's. However, the data are not well correlated, and what questionable data there are suggest the existence of at least three and maybe four differnet groups of aliens (possibly at different states of development). This too is difficult to accept. It implies the existence of intelligent life on a majority of the planets in our solar system, or a surprisingly strong interest in Earth by members of other solar systems.

A solution to the UFO problem may be obtained by the long and diligent effort of a large group of well financed and competent scientists, unfortunately there is no evidence suggesting that such an effort is going to be made. However, even if such an effort were made, there is no guarantee of success because of the isolated and sporatic nature of the sightings. Also, there may be nothing to find, and that would mean a long search with no profit at the end. The best thing to do is to keep an open and skeptical mind, and not take an extreme position on any side of the question.

s&f

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Here are more good government documents about UFOs.

www.nsa.gov...
The documents listed on this page were located in response to the numerous requests received by NSA on the subject of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO). In 1980, NSA was involved in Civil Action No. 80-1562, "Citizens Against Unidentified Flying Objects Secrecy v. National Security Agency". Documents related to that ligitation are marked with "*". "XXXXX" has been inserted in a title if a portion of the title has been deleted prior to release. To select a document click on the document title, and wait for the PDF version to be downloaded to your local viewer. Approximate file sizes are given after each selection for user convenience.

top topics

join