It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since we found the morality site of the brain....Is there really a soul?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

So your argument is neurons "facilitate thought, but aren't responsible for thinking?"

Btw, this would be much easier if you were a little bit more clear about yourself, rather than spending your -- im sure -- valuable time (
) insulting me for no particular reason.

K. Thanks

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Yeah I know, thats why I used that as an example. NDE had been somewhat explained away for a long time. When you can re-create the effects of a NDE in a lab it's pretty string evidence that thats what these people had experienced.

For me this discovery has more implications on it's usage to modify behavior. Is this a practical use as a 'cure' for people who murder or molest. Or, like a lobotomy which was designed to take away the ill effects of a diseased brain, is it something that shouldn't be used.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
There's no real evidence for the soul besides sappy stories and vague feelings, I don't know why humans have to act like they're above all other animals, when we clearly aren't.

I agree but, we have to think that because the reality is far too sad. We are the only 'self conscience/aware' animal and we know we're mortal. Animals know pain and try to avoid it but they don't know that one day they and everyone they know will be dead.

We not only know for a fact that we will one day die, we are given a vague timeline. General thinking is 'With our conscience the way it is we know that this cannot possibly be it. There must be a meaning of why were here and why we feel this strongly. Bugs certainly dont go to heaven , they just sleep eat and die. But us, we're emotional and knowledgeable. We are so complex and deep so we must have a purpose.' We dont. Were just an evolved bug.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

So your argument is neurons "facilitate thought, but aren't responsible for thinking?"

Btw, this would be much easier if you were a little bit more clear about yourself, rather than spending your -- im sure -- valuable time (
) insulting me for no particular reason.

K. Thanks

In the same way an electric cord facilitates electricity. Simple thought really, not that hard to comprehend. Further, I had nothing to say to you until you glanced at my original post, (clearly without reading it, let alone thinking about it), and chose to insult me...for no particular reason. Don't believe that? You could, not that you would, but you could just scroll up and down these two pages and see for yourself. You chose to get all huffy with me, simply because I suggested that a portion of the brain registering high on a scale during moments of moral decision, and faltering when that portion of the brain has been affected by some external force, would be similar to an electric cord that vibrates when facilitating electricity, and not so vibrant once the cord has been cut and can no longer facilitate the electricity. It's just a thought, but at least it is a thought.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Jean Paul Zodeaux]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm not one to advocate for the existence of souls, but if souls do exist, it may be explained that the physical portion of the body is being separated from the soul with high magnetic fields, thus impairing human moral standards.

This is usually how people who believe souls exist explain away all mental impairment whether its genetic or induced through other means. The soul is allegedly there, but since the brain is impaired, it cannot fully exert its will over the physical body.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy

There's no real evidence for the soul besides sappy stories and vague feelings, I don't know why humans have to act like they're above all other animals, when we clearly aren't.

I agree but, we have to think that because the reality is far too sad. We are the only 'self conscience/aware' animal and we know we're mortal. Animals know pain and try to avoid it but they don't know that one day they and everyone they know will be dead.

We not only know for a fact that we will one day die, we are given a vague timeline. General thinking is 'With our conscience the way it is we know that this cannot possibly be it. There must be a meaning of why were here and why we feel this strongly. Bugs certainly dont go to heaven , they just sleep eat and die. But us, we're emotional and knowledgeable. We are so complex and deep so we must have a purpose.' We dont. Were just an evolved bug.

Yes, but we have a very full understanding of why and how we became self conscious, and it certainly had nothing to do with a mysterious soul that makes us able to realize who we are.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It really depends on your definition of soul. If by soul you mean a mind separate from the brain, then science discounted the soul long ago. Humans aren't special. We learned this lesson from Copernicus, from Newton, and even more recently the Human Genome Project. We are subject to all the same laws as the rest of the Universe and if one looks at our genome it is for the most part replications of genes found in other species. Nature isn't very creative. Once she finds something that works she sticks with it and the genetic structure of humans is evident of this.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Yes, but we have a very full understanding of why and how we became self conscious, and it certainly had nothing to do with a mysterious soul that makes us able to realize who we are.

Yes, I know, I think I typed it wrong or something. Im saying that we dont have souls, that it is indeed just our brain. I was just giving examples of why we believe we have souls and the justification for why people came up with the concept of them so long ago and whatnot. I am in complete agreement with you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join