It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since we found the morality site of the brain....Is there really a soul?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If we found the morality site in the brain and are able to manipulate it, which pretty much destroys the immortal soul theory. Aren’t I right? I am just saying, everything we think and do functions in the brain, so wouldn’t that mean that any kind of soul would be disproven?

ATS Input Is Crucial.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I didn't think of it that way but now that you mention it it does make sense. I believe that religion came about from having to have an answer to the unanswerable. Thunder and lightning were angry Gods and of course we now think thats ridiculous. I think in a few hundred years, science will have answered all the tough questions about this sort of thing, as an example, near death experiences where people see 'heaven'.

They'll continue their discoveries of the brain and be able to explain away every little supernatural thing we can encounter. Kind of a bummer, but it'll be interesting.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't know what your definition of soul is(there are many conflicting views) but I can tell you for sure:

There is One.

Not all notions of 'soul' means an immortal essence of a person.

Perhaps the 'soul' is aether, which is everlasting and always transforming.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

But what is Aether? What is it made up of? Why cant we measure it?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yes, you are right. We can't hold men accountable for their deeds, because we are slaves to our biology.

There's definitely no god, and if there were, he certainly wouldn't be watching over us, hoping we do good deeds and act right, because he would know that how we act depends on the brain we're born with.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
souls are subjective. not exactly delusions but they definitely don't exist.

a collection of tools together trick the mind into thinking we have higher purpose, which collectively gives us higher purpose. theories suggest a 'universal frequency' exist, this plus the idea of us being energy, plus energy not being able to be seen with the naked eye makes souls promising. some think we can connect into different realms, while this is a creative delusion; places our mind have never gone, do exist...

a soul isn't nonsense; its just an oxymoron.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What scientist have discovered, that part of the brain behind the ear, may register activity when moral decisions are being made, and may be affected by magnets, but to think that this discovery means that morality is nothing more than a biological function, especially at this point, is like holding up an electrical cord and declaring that the source of electricity had been found and can be manipulated by this cord. The cord certainly harness and manipulates electricity, but the cord itself is not electricity.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Did you not read the article? The article states that using a strong magnetic field, on this particular region of the brain, brain function impairment can be temporarily induced -- which means that part of the brain is as good as dead, temporarily. When that occurs, people lose their "moral compass."

The brain isn't some magical "thing" -- it's an organ. Organs are subject to mutations within the genome, and they also play a very specific role, according to how they are encoded by our genes and how they grow in the body.

There's nothing magical about human beings, either. We're just biological machines, as well, hardwired by our genes, and subject to alternation by our environment (to some degree).

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So are you making the connection between morals and the soul?

I would hope the worst and best of us had a soul. But since so many people and op included dont seem to have a grasp on what a soul constitutes is it completely a moot point?

Beliefs dictate morals. Vary simple.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

There's nothing magical about human beings, either. We're just biological machines, as well, hardwired by our genes, and subject to alternation by our environment (to some degree).

Well with your sense of beliefs, you must think that the universe started by chance, and then we are just a random mutation. So when you think of it that way, we are VERY special

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

It depends on what you consider the soul.

Many think of the soul as the spirit, a ghostly phantom of yourself living within you but I tend to think of it as the deepest definition of you. Soul is your consciousness, your identity essentially, it is the place where deeply ingrained emotions ideas and epiphanies are and the desires of your "heart" are. As far as I'm concerned the soul is just part of your mind which is all reliant on your brain.

Now many people will still defend the notion that we have some otherworldly spark and perhaps we do but if there something supernatural about us I doubt science will ever be able to prove or disprove it.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Did you not read the article? The article states that using a strong magnetic field, on this particular region of the brain, brain function impairment can be temporarily induced -- which means that part of the brain is as good as dead, temporarily. When that occurs, people lose their "moral compass."

The brain isn't some magical "thing" -- it's an organ. Organs are subject to mutations within the genome, and they also play a very specific role, according to how they are encoded by our genes and how they grow in the body.

Do you ever pause to think or do you just have permanent diarrhea of the brain and just can't help yourself? No one, besides you, has called the brain a magical thing, and of course, the pot calling the kettle black will ask me if I read the article when clearly you can't even read a simple paragraph. Take some mental pepto bismal, and try to actually think for a day or so. The brain is a biological construct, that facilitates the activity of neurons popping off and all around, to suggest our thoughts are nothing more than neurons, misses the point. If our thoughts are caused by neurons, how is it we even know about neurons?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

So your argument is that because we know what a neuron is, we can't possibly be using neurons to think?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Well with your sense of beliefs, you must think that the universe started by chance, and then we are just a random mutation. So when you think of it that way, we are VERY special

Yea, we're special in that sense of the word -- there appears to be only 6 billion or so humans in the entire universe, at any given time. But there's even less lions, so lions are more special, by that logic. Even less Narwhals than lions... You can see where I'm going with this.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

So your argument is that because we know what a neuron is, we can't possibly be using neurons to think?

Neurons facilitate thought just the same that your keyboard is facilitating your thoughtlessness. You have neurons operating in that brain I am sure of it, and yet there is no evidence that you are thinking.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Science has already explained away near death experiences of heaven. Go read about the compound '___' that is produced in your brain, released only at birth and death.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

There has been NDE when there is no brain activity, which means that there can be no chemical to antagonize receptor cells. Which means it cannot be responsible for NDE's when there is no brain activity.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Science has already explained away near death experiences of heaven. Go read about the compound '___' that is produced in your brain, released only at birth and death.

And at night, during REM sleep (REM is the part of sleep where you dream)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There's no real evidence for the soul besides sappy stories and vague feelings, I don't know why humans have to act like they're above all other animals, when we clearly aren't.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Maybe they are having the NDE BEFORE or AFTER the brain stops working. How do you know this is not the case, and then they remember it when they wake up, after being revived.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join