It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big brother caught being over eager

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
link

O.K the newspapers a bit suspect but if there this quick who knows whos next

I HOPE THIS WEB SITE WASN`T PRODUCED BY BRITISH AND AMERICAN SECRET SERVICE.

Theres an interesting thought

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thats very scary. They know everything. Thats in the UK.... I hate to see what they have here in the US on people.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Personally I�m glad to see that our governments are looking for these types of messages. If it was a real threat it could have saved hundreds of lives by intercepting it.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That would be fine, if thats they used it for. They waited some time before acting, It was atleast May when they got to him. They asked him where he was in April.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Makes you think what they are capable of.Imagine if they set up a web site on conspiracies and called it above top secret.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Good grief!.. well I guess we all know we're being monitored.. I wonder how the system deals with forums like these though, what with all the talk of dirty bombs and terrorists n'all?

I'll just have to make sure I don't say gun, airliner and prisoner all in one sentence, otherwise I'll be in trouble.....

Doh!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
O.K the newspapers a bit suspect but if there this quick who knows whos next

I HOPE THIS WEB SITE WASN`T PRODUCED BY BRITISH AND AMERICAN SECRET SERVICE.

ROTF.. yup, you're right, it is suspect!!

Sadly it also happens to be the UK's best selling newspaper and tabloid sister to the Times! One of Murdoch's babies.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
SpittinCobra, a month is a very long time to act on this type of intel. If all secret services act this slowly, we would need to set all terrorist alerts at their highest levels and leave them that way indefinitely.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I would like to know what you would do to combat terrorism. It seems to me that intercepting cell phone calls, e-mail and text messages that refer to airliners and explosives is a reasonable action. What is the alternative?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Can I get a 'breach of civil rights' please?

Sure, lives could have been saved, but then, if we're facing an enemy stupid enough to run about texting 'bomb here 2moro yo' on phones, then we shouldn't be having so much bloody trouble catching and apprehending them!

This was a subversive removal of any rights of privacy and there should be an announcement to the British public by the government about this explaining why. A secret warrant to listen to everything a brit says by phone is a bit of a big step to take, isn't it? Someone else said this, but I mean, if the british are doing this, just imagine what the US is doing. There's probably bugs and cameras inside newer TV's or something.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In this case, I would have to chose my battles, not try to fight them all.

I would Pull people out of the holy land. And let them have it. The only reason we are over there is to take. We dont need it. If that is truly the reason for the attacks. You cant win everytime. Its the laws of chaos. Why should we lose people over land.

There is really no way to stop the terror, besides giving in.

They should be able to live in there land and be happy.

Dont get me wrong, I think the people behind the terror should pay. Who every that is.

Like I said its cool, if all they are doing is protecting. At the end of the day the people that make the rules, are human, and power corupts.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The United States has the capability of capturing every electronic communication (cell phone, land phone, e-mail, text message) on the face of the earth at any time instantly. However they have KEY words that will �red flag� that communication for further study. Don�t get me wrong I enjoy my civil rights and will fight to preserve them but when looking for terrorists we need the ability to search them out by whatever means necessary. I believe �red flagging� key words in conversations is a reasonable step in preserving the safety of the citizens.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I would like to know what you would do to combat terrorism. It seems to me that intercepting cell phone calls, e-mail and text messages that refer to airliners and explosives is a reasonable action. What is the alternative?

Well I'm no expert on these things but I'd imagine if I were a terrorist sending text messages I'd at least use some sort of code words, or just not use the phone! You're right though, a certain amount of communications monitoring has to be done, but AFAIK they haven't actually caught or arrested any real terrorists under the new snooping laws.

The worrying thing is when will the change the keywords from BOMB and AIRPLANE to DEMO or PROTEST?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viendin
Can I get a 'breach of civil rights' please?

AMEN!! Terrorism is horrible but we can't let them win by allowing our governments to trampel our rights in order to get them! Everyday since 9/11 (and even long before that but more so since then) I see the government encroaching on my rights - gun control, cameras on traffic signals, random road blocks to check for seatbelts! That seatbelt thing is the final straw for me - I mean the are literally setting up road blocks and checking everyone for seatblets - "click it or ticket". Don't they have to have reasonable cause before they can stop and search me and my car? I heard an ad on the radio stating "click it or ticket - consider this your warning - the police will not be giving any". Sounds like communism to me! Next they'll be going house to house to see if we tore the tags off our mattresses!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I believe the reason they are monitoring communications is not to catch terrorist but to build profiles of possible threats whether they be organised events or people that could in the future pose a threat.The events of 9/11 have given the security services the excuse to increase its operational scope into areas that would not have previously been justified.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i have a really good story to tell about this sort of thing that happened to me, but im a bit cagey about it. i don�t suppose it matters, its just that i have some strong views on privacy and i have been quite outspoken about them in the past. if the spooks are here, and i expect they are, then they know exactly who you are and where you are. but lets just say they have all sorts of devices to pick out keywords not just for computers and mobile phones but spoken words in public places too.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Kode - do tell! You've got me very curious now!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
i know its a shame its a funny story too. but seeing as the world is going to end in a week or so according to AB then i might make it one of my last posts

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
i know its a shame its a funny story too. but seeing as the world is going to end in a week or so according to AB then i might make it one of my last posts

Don't wait till the world is going to end... you might just be unlucky and get hit on the bonce by one of the pre-cursor asteroids!.. then we'll never know!

Aww go on kode, don't be a tease!!..

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
I believe the reason they are monitoring communications is not to catch terrorist but to build profiles of possible threats

I think you're probably right there..it would be seriously boring job having listen or read all the messages out there in cyberspace/telephoneland by hand (or ear!).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join