It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seek and ye shall find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I’m not entirely sure how to classify this phenomenon. It’s similar to synchronicity and in fact may well be classified under synchronicity.

I’ll be searching for something, normally online or in real life and will sometimes be unable to find exactly, what I’m looking for, in a particular field or topic. Eventually I will just move on and decide to try and find it later, unfortunately for me, I am easily side tracked, so I might not get back to it, for a long time.

Days or perhaps weeks later, I will be looking for something completely different and sometimes even completely unrelated to my previous weeks search and I will somehow, miraculously, manage to find exactly what had eluded me, from my previous search, from the weeks before, via a series of interconnected searches.

Is this happening to anyone else out there…?

If so, what are you thoughts…

Is it just coincidence or is there something deeper going on ?

- JC

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This happens all the time to me, too. I think it probably happens all the time to many people. It's fun to think that it's meaingful, or that something deeper is going on. I've heard arguments that meaningful coincidences and synchonicities are actually communications from a higher intelligence. Something beyond our percieved reality.

But, I just chalk it up to coincidence. Human beings are very bad at using their intuition to determine the odds of some event which is not well understood, and we are really good at noticing patterns. I think coincidences happen at the rate that chance predicts, but that our intuition tells us that they are actually occuring much more often than chance would predict, because our sense of what the actual odds are is very bad. I also think that we notice all coincidences because we hard wired to recognize patterns, so they "stick out" as being important, whether they are or not. Also, we only remember the searches satisfied by coincidences that actually work, and we forget the thousands of things which haven't just dropped into our laps when we happened to be thinking about them.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

It is your subconscious mind bringing the thought/idea into your existing consciousness seemingly out of nowhere, sometimes called the "Aha!" phenomenon.

Believe it or not, our subconscious mind is what acts out anything to everything humanly possible, and we do not have to be consciously aware of it until it actually happens. It is our conscious mind that blocks certain thoughts from entering the subconscious. Hypnosis is so successful at suggestibility because it puts the conscious mind to sleep ang goes directly to the subconscious. When the answer pops up put of nowhere, you are "subconsciously correct."

Two great books that practice this amazing yet simple idea ate "The Power of the Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Lee Murphy and "Psycho Cybernetics" by Dr. Maltz.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Subconsciously Correct

Originally posted by Subconsciously Correct
It is your subconscious mind bringing the thought/idea into your existing consciousness seemingly out of nowhere, sometimes called the "Aha!" phenomenon.

Thanks for your reply…love the handle name…

Strangely enough, I’ve been thinking about the subconscious mind, for quite a long time. From studies in hypnosis, it has been shown that our subconscious minds are recording every little detail around us. For example, when we glance at a newspaper our subconscious minds have apparently unbeknown to us, recorded every aspect of the page, which can then be accurately recited, under hypnosis.

So because of this, I think it may be possible that sometimes our subconscious minds, actually help us to find things using data and information that our conscious minds are apparently oblivious too. Although this would only account for data we would have came into contact with, in our every day lives; It would not explain knowledge/guidance, in other areas we had never encountered before, although to prove that we had never had any contact in a particular given area of knowledge, would be extremely difficult to do.

Believe it or not, our subconscious mind is what acts out anything to everything humanly possible, and we do not have to be consciously aware of it until it actually happens. It is our conscious mind that blocks certain thoughts from entering the subconscious. Hypnosis is so successful at suggestibility because it puts the conscious mind to sleep ang goes directly to the subconscious. When the answer pops up put of nowhere, you are "subconsciously correct."

You say “it’s the conscious mind that blocks certain thoughts from entering the subconscious.” Which may well be true but I’ve always thought of it, as being the other way around i.e. the subconscious mind blocks or more accurately filters, thoughts/information, into the conscious mind. The mechanics of just how this filtering system work’s, is what fascinates me the most.

Two great books that practice this amazing yet simple idea ate "The Power of the Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Lee Murphy and "Psycho Cybernetics" by Dr. Maltz.

Thanks once again…
Sounds like two books, I am going to have to read…

- JC

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
First thing I thought when I read " Seek and ye shall find " was " "This above all: to thine own self be true,: and it must follow, as the night the day,: -William Shakespeare

Sorry I keep using the same examples lol but I really do believe people like Joseph Campbell and Jung really understood synchronicity in its entirety.

Joseph Campbell said - Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be. If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.

The door or ( synchronicity ) can often occur through symbols / word associations or in your case sourcing very relevant and invaluable information that is pertinent to your life at a particular point in time - so I suppose the question is - what drives our thoughts and actions ? In some respects synchronicity runs along the lines of " The Law of Attraction ", where thoughts influence chance - "The Law of Attraction says that which is like unto itself is drawn " although I do believe there is one great big fundamental difference - synchronicity is not born from material desire - it is not driven by EGO it is a phenomena that stems from the self's desire to evolve in a very pure and natural way ( in a sense we are listening to our inner voice and as a consequence end up following our true path ) - as opposed to " The law of Attraction " which is more often than not Ego based and forced.

Jung wrote, after describing some examples, "When coincidences pile up in this way, one cannot help being impressed by them -- for the greater the number of terms in such a series, or the more unusual its character, the more improbable it becomes.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
No problem. To better explain the conscious blocking the subconscious, click this link ezinearticles.com...

I like to think of the conscious mind as a gatekeeper and the subconscious mind as the area inside the parameter of the gates. The gatekeeper (conscious mind) regulates what goes in and out of the subconscious mind (inner parameter). When we are asleep, imagine the gatekeepers falling asleep as well. Ever wonder why your dreams are so weird or symbolic yet deal somehow with your daily life? It is that part of your mind you are not aware of, the subconscious. The "gatekeepers" are asleep and allow information we are not aware of consciously to enter at will. Otherwise, don't you believe we would be able to control nightmares? This also is why dreams may be remembered upon waking up yet easily forgotten later. It is hard to use your conscious mind to remember what was subconsciously expressed. The same goes with people listening to commands under hypnosis and then upon waking out of trance not being able to recall what happened (because they are now thinking consciously).

I suggest googling "critical bypass faculty" if you have any other questions.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by destiny-fate

Originally posted by destiny-fate
Sorry I keep using the same examples lol but I really do believe people like Joseph Campbell and Jung really understood synchronicity in its entirety.

That’s ok, the more we repeat something, the more it sinks into our subconscious minds lol

I don’t know too much about Joseph Campbell or Jung but I did some brief research on Joseph Campbell’s life and I really liked his following quote…

"When we quit thinking primarily about ourselves and our own self-preservation, we undergo a truly heroic transformation of consciousness."

Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell said - Follow your bliss.

Just where is my bliss heading too exactly lol

(sorry I couldn’t resist that joke)

If you do follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you.

Yes I see what you mean, because like I described in my OP, even when, I seem to go off track, the searches lead me back to the path/bliss! I’m guessing, that when my conscious mind tries to move away from my bliss, my subconscious mind (which, I might add, I believe is connected to God) is drawing me back into my bliss or whatever is on my heart and mind at the time.

The door or ( synchronicity ) can often occur through symbols / word associations or in your case sourcing very relevant and invaluable information that is pertinent to your life at a particular point in time - so I suppose the question is - what drives our thoughts and actions ?

Right now for me personally, what drives my thoughts and actions…I believe is God, through the Holy Spirit!

Jung wrote, after describing some examples, "When coincidences pile up in this way, one cannot help being impressed by them -- for the greater the number of terms in such a series, or the more unusual its character, the more improbable it becomes.

Hmm… I had a look a some of those examples…the “Dennis The Menace” one, being the most bizarre but I have to say that I would probably put most of them down to coincidence. I never rule out coincidence but sometimes when you get synchronicity happening many times in your life and it is centered around the same recurring theme, it becomes a lot harder, too just dismiss it, as coincidence, especially when it becomes personal to an individual, in some shape or form.

- JC

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

Yes I see what you mean, because like I described in my OP, even when, I seem to go off track, the searches lead me back to the path/bliss! I’m guessing, that when my conscious mind tries to move away from my bliss, my subconscious mind (which, I might add, I believe is connected to God) is drawing me back into my bliss or whatever is on my heart and mind at the time

Is it possible to test the theory ? All you have to do is ask yourself what that moment of revelation felt like ? Because I believe all synchronicities feel a bit like an epiphany or a light switching on and the most wonderful aspect of the experience is that the message / synchronicity was meant soley for YOU - kind of makes the whole experience even more magical and unique

top topics

join