It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most important gear

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just wanted to add to the flashlight thing, solar power.

I picked up a solar powered LED flashlight from the local hardware store for $20. Its a pretty amazing device. It takes batteries as well, but if you leave it in the sun for an hour or so, it will hold a charge for up to 3 YEARS!!! Interestingly, I went back to buy more for my family, there were none, and the guy who works there said he doesnt expect they'll get em in. They were made by a no-name company, maybe were bought off by the bigger name flashlight makers?

Water purification tablets or a water filter is a must

and this may sound weird...but I'd pack salt, and a tub of lard, or pure fat. Contrary to popular belief carbs dont give you energy, the body needs to burn FAT to run efficiently. Salt, will help preserve food, and works on wounds. You can make pretty much anything taste decent if you cook it in a little lard.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

Carbs dont give you energy ? are you some sort of retard ? ofcourse carbs give you energy its a form of glucose and you body needs glucose to turn into energy to work!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I would like to add, what I consider to be, an invaluable aid to fire starting. The Fire Piston. Tinder is easy to make, the piston itself is simple to manufacture and it requires very low maintenance. It is lightweight and easy to carry. I have had one for years and constantly pratice with it when I am out camping. If you are not inclined to make your own, simply look up on Google. There are plenty of ready made ones for sale out there.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Once again I must say that knowledge is the key ITEM that must be had by ALL people in ANY situation. There are those that post on this forum that are quite capable enough to go into the wilderness with nothing and come out with more than they went in with. It may not be easy, in fact it is one of the hardest things to do, but it can be done. A knowledge of certain things is the most vital pre-requisite. It is not the things that you carry. Get into the wilderness in your area and get familiar with it at all times of the year.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I could not agree with you more. Get out there, practice, find out what works for you and then...........practice some more. The more prepared you are and the better versed you are at using your equipment and skills, the more chance you have of staying alive and being comfortable at the same time.

Three key words: Practice, Practice and .....................Practice.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
dont forget a set of sharping stones and steal cuz no matter what knife or axe you carry you will need to sharpen them from time to time and IMO shop towels make a good coffee filter so instead of a coffee grinder and coffee beans a small can of coffee will work and takes up less room just take a small can and poke holes in the bottom line with shop towels and coffee and pour hot water in
a good shovel is a must as one person posted
dryer lint for a fire starter is cheaper and works just as well as cottonballs
i keep a gallon sized plastic bag of dryer lint in my pack and its easy to get just go to laundry mat and clean out dryer lint traps yes people look at you funny but o'well

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
For your first aid kit try getting a used coffee bag or something you can heat seal with a foodsaver and drop your meds in them. Then get a small chunk of dry ice to drop in and allow it to melt...this will purge the bag of oxygen with CO. Then heat seal it to keep your meds out of the presence of oxygen for longer term storage.

I have vicodin and cipro (good broad spectrum antibiotic) from previous doctor visits which I consider a must for my first aid kit.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Gibbon]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbon
For your first aid kit try getting a used coffee bag or something you can heat seal with a foodsaver and drop your meds in them. Then get a small chunk of dry ice to drop in and allow it to melt...this will purge the bag of oxygen with CO. Then heat seal it to keep your meds out of the presence of oxygen for longer term storage.

I have vicodin and cipro (good broad spectrum antibiotic) from previous doctor visits which I consider a must for my first aid kit.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Gibbon]

Great, great tip. Never thought of the dry ice trick.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Got it from Wesley Rawles...he recommended it for long term grain storage in mylar bags, but I figured you could use it for anything that you wanted to lock away from oxygen and light.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
one thing i added for a just in case situation is a lock picking set. If things are so sour that I had to bugout or in. I would prefer picking locks versus throwing a rock through the window of a house or shed. Of course abandoned! I might have forgotted socks so a quick trip to a out of sight abandoned home. And the set is about the size of a holder for eyeglass holders. Picking locks is much quieter than a busted window or busted up door and with practice is quick .
Carbiners are another great thing to have. Small and very useful. fasten gear to bags, vests, belts etc. Used for climbing, hanging gear of the ground. I never hear about carbiners in bugout bags. But i have about a dozen that are rated for 100lbs and up.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Superglue, always remember the superglue. Use to glue up wounds or mend essential equipment.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by realboogyman

I have a lock pick set as well, but I it is for those stubborn places. If a window is available, I will certainly break it and go, because speed is essential in a bugout situation!

Superglue is a must! Great addition!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Some items not mentioned:

If you get a gas mask make sure it takes 40mm threads. (NATO) If you came across a firefighter or a cop his mask or soldier his mask has a 40mm thread for the filter. Learn about Decon.
A roll of aluminum foil. You dont want to throw your fish or or other food for cooking in to a fire with out it. Some Ramen noodles and some soup bullion.
Snare Wire for traps and trip wire.
A mini fishing pole like you see on TV. They work.
A Survival mirror to see around corners and look at your face for wounds.
Zip Lock bags doubled with matches and 2 bic lighters.
Black and Brown Camo Paint. Helps with the bugs too.
Zip lock bags of unsecented baby wipes. For sanitation and Hygine.
Asprin plus Tylenol in small containers you see in the gas station.
A mini sewing kit. For your clothes and sutures. Small bottle of Ispopropol Alcohol for wounds. Iodine is good to but if you emit any extra smells that can give you away.
Can of bug spray.
Scope or binoculars.
Small 9mm Pistol. Same caliber as military and most police. Plus 100 rounds.
Small hand held GPS with extra batteries.
Small hand held scanner for police, fire info. Military uses scrambled radio so monoriting them is useless. Police and Fire will have similar info on check points and road blocks and where to avoid the military patrols.
Needle nose pliers for sutures and wire repair. #2 and Flat tip Screwdriver. Crescent Wrench, Pliers. Hammer Axe. and Survival saw. Fire wood and amputations. Game Prep.
Black Plastic bags for Water Decon. and Desalination.
Also used as shelter and poncho.
Military folding shovel.
A bag of good rubber bands.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
You could also make some fire-starter style items. Try mixing magnesium shavings with cotton balls and wax. Place in a mold of some sort, allow to cool. Don't use too much wax or the cotton will be totally in-cased, but it would be water-proof. You would just need a knife to cut some of the tender. Magnesium burns hot and while wet.

There's a much simpler one that I have used on hiking trips in lieu of solid fuel tablets...

Ingredients:

Candle wax (cheap candles)
Dried lawn clippings

Tools:

Old tin can
Old ice cube tray

How to do it:

- pour lawn clippings over the ice cube tray
- Heat wax in old tin can until molten
- pour wax over ice cube tray
- allow to cool

Simple, waterproof and effective. An ice-cube sized block will burn for about twice as long as a military trioxane fuel tablet - similar burn time to a UK/Aus hexamine tablet. Can be used with a canteen cup stove, folding hexy stove or an improvised stand. Place one on a square of metal to make a quick-burning candle for temporary bright light. Scrape up the wax drippings and recycle.

In a survival situation, the same concept can be used with animal fat drippings and dry grass. A ball of lard/straw wrapped in plastic or cloth is more portable and lighter than a slush lamp. You can also chew on it if you get desperate.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mclmm

Great info, I use dryer lint instead of lawn clippings.

We did a test run this winter in the fire place. A tuna can packed with a coil of cardboard and dryer lint, and paraffin melted and poured into it, burned for over 2 hours. We used it as a fire starter and it worked perfectly!! We lit a couple of spots of the cardboard that was exposed and within minutes the whole Tuna Can was flaming, and it continued the entire duration. Nice 6-8 inch yellow flame was perfect for starting the kindling and other firewood.

We made ours from some torn up old cardboard boxes, burned out left over candles, and empty tuna cans (we always save our tuna cans and dryer lint).

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
In addition to all of the usual gear mentioned, I have to say that a deck of cards has always served me well when backpacking by myself or with a small group. I have spent many a rainy day or night confined to a tent playing a variety of solitaire or group games.

Even in a SHTF situation, cards can be a good distraction for an overwhelmed mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join