It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most important gear

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I thought it may be helpful to start a thread about which tactical gear would be the most important in a SHTF scenario.

I was hoping to get some opinions from varying sources-military, police, survivalists, campers...

I want to limit this to gear only-no weapons, as there are dozens of threads on survival weaponry already.

So, what are the peices of gear that you find to be the most imperative? What would you dread being caught without?

Here is my list:
-underarmour shirt, pants, hood and gloves
-tactical boots
-tacitcal vest(far superior to carrying a heavy bag, in my opinion)
-2 LED flashlights
-Compass
-fixed blade knife(not a weapon-the ultimate tool)
-flint stick(or other fire starter)
-sunglasses, safety glasses or goggles

What else would people add to the list?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Small light first aid kit. I have two, one for snake bites, and one for wounds. Stitch kits, scalpels, tourniquete (sp?), hemostats, suction tool. One is about clipboard size, and the other is smaller than a cigar.

Also, field guides available from military surplus stores. Very compact and detailed. No excess prose, just instructions for survival, evasion, and resistance. I have two. One for survival, and one for improvised weapons. Each one would fit in a back pants pocket.

Small Twine, and/or paracord. Easily fit into a vest pocket or bag. Extremely versatile uses.

There is much more. I am thinking.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Small light first aid kit. I have two, one for snake bites, and one for wounds. Stitch kits, scalpels, tourniquete (sp?), hemostats, suction tool. One is about clipboard size, and the other is smaller than a cigar.

Also, field guides available from military surplus stores. Very compact and detailed. No excess prose, just instructions for survival, evasion, and resistance. I have two. One for survival, and one for improvised weapons. Each one would fit in a back pants pocket.

Small Twine, and/or paracord. Easily fit into a vest pocket or bag. Extremely versatile uses.

There is much more. I am thinking.

Good call on the first aid kit. Cant believe i left that off.

The para cord is a good idea as well.

Field guides not only for resist, evade, survive, but also some manuals on the particular area you are in and the usefull natural resources that can be found in the area.

A SHARPIE pen is something I always carry as well

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Good Idea, I don't have that, I will probably get several carpenter's pencils instead of a sharpie. More durable and longer lasting.

Also, I have several "shock blankets." They are very thin, about the size of a deck of cards, and they reflect over 90% of your heat. Good to stay warm, or line your shelter, or use as part of evasion. They only cost a few dollars, are very light, and are much easier to carry than bedding.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Good Idea, I don't have that, I will probably get several carpenter's pencils instead of a sharpie. More durable and longer lasting.

Also, I have several "shock blankets." They are very thin, about the size of a deck of cards, and they reflect over 90% of your heat. Good to stay warm, or line your shelter, or use as part of evasion. They only cost a few dollars, are very light, and are much easier to carry than bedding.

Are shock blankets the MYLAR nasa style survival blankets?

Another good iten is a 2 man pup-tent. Can be had very cheap, fold up very small, and in a survival situation, anything that keeps you out of the weather is a plus.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A manual (hand operated) coffee grinder. There's no excuse for doing without a good cup of Joe.

www.google.com...

edit: Zombieland Rule #32:

Rule 32: Enjoy the Little Things: Its the end of the world. Dont sweat the small stuff. Loot a neighbourhood or two, trash a car, speed! Do the little things and enjoy em. Who knows how long you have to live!

[edit on 4/5/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 4/5/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a few more:
-small travel bottle of bleach
-water containers(at least 2)
-spool of fishing line and hooks
-leatherman or similar multi-tool

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Just wanted to add to the flashlight thing, solar power.

I picked up a solar powered LED flashlight from the local hardware store for $20. Its a pretty amazing device. It takes batteries as well, but if you leave it in the sun for an hour or so, it will hold a charge for up to 3 YEARS!!! Interestingly, I went back to buy more for my family, there were none, and the guy who works there said he doesnt expect they'll get em in. They were made by a no-name company, maybe were bought off by the bigger name flashlight makers?

Water purification tablets or a water filter is a must

and this may sound weird...but I'd pack salt, and a tub of lard, or pure fat. Contrary to popular belief carbs dont give you energy, the body needs to burn FAT to run efficiently. Salt, will help preserve food, and works on wounds. You can make pretty much anything taste decent if you cook it in a little lard.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Just wanted to add to the flashlight thing, solar power.

I picked up a solar powered LED flashlight from the local hardware store for $20. Its a pretty amazing device. It takes batteries as well, but if you leave it in the sun for an hour or so, it will hold a charge for up to 3 YEARS!!!

Water purification tablets or a water filter is a must

and this may sound weird...but I'd pack salt, and a tub of lard, or pure fat. Contrary to popular belief carbs dont give you energy, the body needs to burn FAT to run efficiently. Salt, will help preserve food, and works on wounds. You can make pretty much anything taste decent if you cook it in a little lard.

Thanks for the ideas!

i am personally a fan of the 'shake' style led lights-they dont require anything, even sunlight, to charge up. Put em in your pocket and they will charge with your motion.

As for water purification, that is why I carry a bottle of bleach. Its far more multi-0purpose than specific purification tabs or filters, and does as good, if not better, of a job. Also, I am a strong believer in boiling for purification. I have had to do it before, and can testify that it works. So with those in mind, ill skip the purification tabs or filters, simply for the sake of saving room.

Salt is a very good item. As opposed to fat or lard, Id carry as many powerbars(or similar) as possible. Ready made energy in a wrapper. No prep, no spoiling.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Are shock blankets the MYLAR nasa style survival blankets?

Yes. Exactly. I have found some that are even "bags." You can climb inside, put on a hood, and cinch them up. Very, very effective!

Fishing line and hooks is a must.

If taking water containers, they should be collapsible, not hard plastic. Although clear plastic bottles serve double duty as UV purifiers for water. Just fill 2/3rds of the way, cap, shake, and leave in the sun.

Other purifiers, such as Iodine, and Salt as the other poster mentioned, are equally important! Only pack things that are light, collapsible, and serve multi-purposes. This will keep you mobile, prepared for a multitude of situations, and help conserve energy!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yeah, the shake ones work good too, but in my experience they weren't as bright as the solar, but maybe I just had the cheap ones.

What about toilet paper? I know, many of you mountain men will laugh, and surely it isnt a life or death situation. But, its light and it has multi uses.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Yeah, the shake ones work good too, but in my experience they weren't as bright as the solar, but maybe I just had the cheap ones.

What about toilet paper? I know, many of you mountain men will laugh, and surely it isnt a life or death situation. But, its light and it has multi uses.

I always have a pack of TP in my truck, but its not something I even considered in this. Good call.

It may be a little rough, but maybe a roll or two of shop-style paper towels would be better than TP? They are thicker and sturdier, which would make for more uses. Certainly wouldnt be all that comfortable to use as tp though....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A few more(sorry, not trying to bump my own thread, just keep getting ideas):
-duct tape
-can of wd40
-vaseline

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
-duct tape
-can of wd40
-vaseline

i dont wanna know what you were thinking when you came up with those three..........
something involving the gimp, perchance??

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This subject has been beaten to death but let''s go one more time. Why no firearms on your list? That would be the first thing I'd grab (both rifle and a pistol), followed by water purification system and a knife.
Nearly everything beyond that can be foraged, made or stolen.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye

-duct tape
-can of wd40
-vaseline

i dont wanna know what you were thinking when you came up with those three..........
something involving the gimp, perchance??

hilarious

duct tape:because if you cant fix it, you can duct it
wd40:great for fishing, great for weapon maintenance, great for firestarting, great for about 1000 purposes.....
vaseline:chapped lips, insulation, and most importantly, you will not find a better firestarter than some cotton dipped in vaseline.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
This subject has been beaten to death but let''s go one more time. Why no firearms on your list? That would be the first thing I'd grab (both rifle and a pistol), followed by water purification system and a knife.

no weapons because, as you said, the subject has been beaten to death.

This is about gear. As far as I can see, there is no thread pertaining to gear only. If Im wrong, the mods can remove it.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Cartridge type respirator, or a canister type gas mask if you can get one. If the situation were local and involved chemical type attack it could get you at least out of the area.
Poncho or raincoat, not just for weather protection but if it was a chemical attack situation it might go well with the respirator to protect your skin.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Knowledge and experience...if I have time for nothing else.

If I have 10 to 20 minutes to grab what I can carry. Then the old standards apply.

Limited to one single thing and nothing else, pair of fence pliers or my file set which has a 4 in 1 file as well. There is nothing I can not make with either of those two things given the time, except perhaps a good firearm, car or other complex item.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

no weapons because, as you said, the subject has been beaten to death.

This is about gear. As far as I can see, there is no thread pertaining to gear only. If Im wrong, the mods can remove it.

This is just the thread I did on Bug out bags, one of many such threads - www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join