It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GEOMAGNETIC STORM Warnimg

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A sharp gust of solar wind hit Earth's magnetosphere today, April 5th, at approximately 0800 UT and sparked the strongest geomagnetic storm of the year (Kindex=7). Although the storm is subsiding now, it is not over. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras spaceweather.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
maybe thats why all the earthquake activity occured yesterday on the american west coast

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by orangeprojectiles

A geomagnetic storm which occurred today caused an earthquake yesterday?
Interesting idea.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It sounds like the movie 2012 to me. They also blamed it on the sun. The earthquakes that is.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Don't you know phage? It traveled back to yesterday. The quantum molecular structure of the storm bent time and ultimately affected yesterday!

Ok jk

Interesting info though. I'd love to see some northern lights, its been a while.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by orangeprojectiles

A geomagnetic storm which occurred today caused an earthquake yesterday?
Interesting idea.

Actually it is interesting. This effect happens 2-3 days AFTER the initial storm. I have no idea on how it could effect Earthquakes but it is a fact that this didn't occur today. It occurred days ago and you are seeing the effects now. In other words the theory that it "could" be caused by this can be noted as a possibility.

"A Geomagnetic storm A major (sometimes global) disturbance of the Earth's magnetic field that follows violent activity on the Sun, such as flares and coronal mass ejections, by 36–48 hours. Rapid fluctuations in the magnetic field strength and direction follow the onset of the storm, with a gradual return to normal over perhaps 2–3 days."

encyclopedia.com

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Smell The Roses]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

So you're saying an increase in the solar wind which was caused by coronal holes (no CME, no flare) several days ago affected the Earth before it got here?

Interesting.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

*listens to the crickets chirping*

Whatever happened to good 'ol cause and effect, eh ?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I just hope, when the electronics go down, I don't get blamed at work. As our only IT guy in a small company...it seems I take the blame for just about every electronic malfunction in the universe.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
there has been earthquakes in california all the time before this storm....it's more likely a coincidence

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

So you're saying an increase in the solar wind which was caused by coronal holes (no CME, no flare) several days ago affected the Earth before it got here?

Interesting.

Actually that is not what I said. What I said was to clarify your "timing" theory snappy line, to a poster in this thread. You stated because of time frames what he suggested was not possible...and was kind of rude about it. I was pointing out your time frames were wrong and this type of storm occurs, then the effects are felt on Earth days later. I hope that is clear enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

"A Geomagnetic storm A major (sometimes global) disturbance of the Earth's magnetic field that follows violent activity on the Sun, such as flares and coronal mass ejections, by 36–48 hours. Rapid fluctuations in the magnetic field strength and direction follow the onset of the storm, with a gradual return to normal over perhaps 2–3 days."

There are two things happening here.
1) An event on the Sun (coronal holes)
2) An event in the magnetosphere several days later which is caused by products of the event on the sun (geomagnetic storm).

We are seeing an event in the magnetosphere which was caused by an event on the sun which happened several days ago.

A solar wind stream flowing from the indicated coronal hole should reach Earth on April 5th or 6th. Credit: SOHO Extreme UV Telescope

spaceweather.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If the moon has influence on the tides of the ocean, does it not seem wise to at least entertain the notion, that there are events in space which could have more to do with our Earth's behavior than originally thought?

And yes, it is very INTERESTING

cause nothing screams "I know it all, and you're beneath me" like a good sarcastic response to a genuine inquiry.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I too was thinking this was related to the earthquake but if it happened after the earthquake it can not be that.

But still this is very active at the mo not seen it like this for a long time been like this all day and still continuing.

www2.nict.go.jp...

Was thinking not seen a CME so what caused it then Phage comes in with the coronal holes did not think about that thanks Phage.

THANKYOU

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Someone who puts a cause ahead of an effect is not demonstrating much critical thinking.

NO, I don't "know it all". I don't claim to. But that doesn't mean I know nothing or that I don't know how to put what I do know to use.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So with this storm, how long does it last? I have read some unofficial reports of people having power outages around the same time the warning was put out.

Phage, you said that the storm is caused by an event that happened on the Sun a few days ago, could it be possible that the warning was given after the Baja earthquake? Could the earthquake been a precurser or part of the storm we are having now?

[edit on 5-4-2010 by kyle43]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
So with this storm, how long does it last? I have read some unofficial reports of people having power outages around the same time the warning was put out.

Also is this storm the result from an earth-bound CME? Or is it just a random occurrence, if someone would be kind enough to clear that up for me.

This one is still technically ongoing as SpaceWeather.com are showing K-Index at 5, which is minor storm level...Apparently K reached 7 in the northern hemisphere which would be a moderate storm level..

I doubt any power outages were caused by this geomagnetic storm...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

The current event is being caused by coronal holes emitting a high speed solar wind. Activity is expected to last for a few days.

There was a CME on Saturday which will probably not hit us but if the edges of it do it will happen in a couple of days.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Maybe I'll get a clear night and some aurora!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join