It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a Natural Born Citizen of the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here is a very thorough examination of the primary source documents that define "natural born citizen" as understood in 1789.

The short synopsis is found here.

The complete and rather lengthy monograph is found here.

What is a Natural Born Citizen of the U.S.?
Synopsis

by John Greschak
[email protected]

In the essay titled What is a Natural Born Citizen of the United States?, I have put forward an interpretation and definition of the phrase natural born Citizen as it is used in the United States Constitution. To that end, I have used the original manuscript of a letter from John Jay to George Washington, along with a draft for that letter, and two essays written by Jay, to deduce both intent and meaning.

I have put forward the following intent of the United States constitutional requirement that the President of the United States be a natural born Citizen of the United States:

Intent. The intent of the United States constitutional requirement that the President of the United States be a natural born Citizen of the United States is: (1) to reduce the likelihood that a President of the United States would have a former, or present, attachment to a foreign country (because such an attachment could influence one to make decisions that would not promote the interests of the United States); and (2) to increase the likelihood that the interests of any President of the United States will coincide with those of the United States.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Strictly speaking, people born by Caesarian section in the US are not naturally born per se. They did not cover that in 1789.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Test-tube babies are right out, too.

reply to post by paraphi

join