It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Plans to Levy Internet Tax

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The Obama Era has become a protracted, nightmarish Whack-A-Mole game of tax increases and bureaucratic self-enlargement. In sector after sector of American life, another scheme to expand government and wrench more earnings from Americans' pockets pops up.

Obama is planning an internet tax now! At least according to good ol' Fox News. Will there be an end to their attempts at crushing the middle class? Or the nanny state? Or the taxes!? Sheesh!

www.thefoxnation.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Your internet and cable are already taxed at a state level in almost all areas and has been for a long time. So is your phone, why weren't you really pissed off before? How about sales tax, we have had that for a long time also.

If I add obama in front of all of them does it make it worse? Does Obama make all the rules or does it go through other areas of our legislature?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Just following the rules there Ace. Copy and paste the title of the stories as they appear and that's how it appears on Fox news so have it out with them.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Umm considering the source I don't quite understand.

It's not like Rupert Murdoch would be opposed to this.

Is this real or just more Fox/Murdoch spin?

It can't be real. It's insane. The blowback from this would be incredible. I've got to admit I'm feeling large amounts of nerdrage at prospect.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ok...So you've posted this fine and dandy news story...

But...

Where's your take on it ? What do you think of the Obama administrations' alleged plan to impose a tax on goods and services bought/sold via the interwebz ?

I mean, I could comment on the story itself, which is well and good...But I'm always interested to see the O/P's viewpoint whenever a news story is posted...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Lol Nerdrage. Yeah I agree with you. It's not as important of course that it's Obama as it is that they are actually going to tax us more! I mean jeez how much more taxing must we endure? I am squarely against big government and think they do no good for anyone as a side note but I think that a tax like this while just plain sucking may be an attempt to just push the open net further out of the hands of folks without much money. Kind of another form of censorship since they can't stand the open forum type set up of the net. It's hard to inundate people in their propaganda when they can choosae where they get there information and that makes TPTB very unhappy!

And besides just BOO more taxes!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

What if the internet was free speech? And they put a tax on it?

Can you tax a basic human right?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

I kind of stated it in my last post I think but I think that many folks are having a hard time financially of course as it is. And I think that for the most part local governance and local help in a community are far better approaches than more federal help and more federal laws.

I guess more to this point and less rambling, lol, while internet is not a necessity, the federal gov doesn't need more money or their fingers into any more aspects of folks lives.

Edit for S+G

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Redwookieaz]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I suppose they figure they can and will! But I agree in a sense. It's really the last frontier of real choice and real free speech. More taxes make it harder for people to be a part of it!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Obama should have just come out and said that he wasn't going to directly raise taxes on the middle class. It would have been truthful, but this end around tax us into oblivion position isn't going to bode well for us or the economy.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Just more "hate Obama" crap from Fox News. I wouldn't believe anything anyone on that network says. Watch the video "Outfoxed".

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

The Obama Era has become a protracted, nightmarish Whack-A-Mole game of tax increases and bureaucratic self-enlargement. In sector after sector of American life, another scheme to expand government and wrench more earnings from Americans' pockets pops up.

Obama is planning an internet tax now!

No he's not, and the source article isn't from Fox. It's from the Washington Post, and it's written in a rather obviously biased and pointed manner designed to further confuse and sway the mind of readers.

The FCC's National Broadband Plan (and the specific section/page referenced in the source article) here merely Recommends a National framework (a leveling of the playing field, if you will) to minimize the number of state-by-state "hoops" an inventor or innovator must jump through in order to ensure compliance across the board whilst still being able to deliver their product(s) and/or service(s). [e.g. ringtones, music downloads, etc]

These taxes already exist on a state level yet often vary greatly from one to another. The sole purpose of a National framework is, again, to "level the playing field", to establish across the board tax rates for the products, goods and services that are Already being taxed in the first place.

In all honesty and in my opinion, the National Broadband Plan is geared to ensure Net Neutrality [A Good Thing] and to make it easier for innovators and entrepreneurs to make their goods, services and products available to as many as possible.

The NPRM notes that these characteristics have made the
Internet vibrant, and its continued health and growth—as well as
broadband’s ability to drive the many benefits discussed in this
plan—depend on its continued openness “[B]roadband providers’
ability to innovate and develop valuable new services must
co-exist with the preservation of the free and open Internet that
consumers and businesses of all sizes have come to depend on.

This would seem a Good thing Folks ... take a look at some of the considerations from the same page of the proposal..

The PDF

In the latest step in a longstanding effort to ensure these
interests remain balanced, the FCC adopted the NPRM on
Preserving the Open Internet in October 2009, which launched
a rulemaking process that is currently underway.195 The NPRM
asked for public comment on six proposed principles:
1. Content.
Subject to reasonable network management, a
provider of broadband Internet access service may not
prevent any of its users from sending or receiving the lawful
content of the user’s choice over the Internet
2. Applications and services.
Subject to reasonable network
management, a provider of broadband Internet access
service may not prevent any of its users from running
the lawful applications or using the lawful services of the
user’s choice
3. Devices.
Subject to reasonable network management, a
provider of broadband Internet access service may not
prevent any of its users from connecting to and using on
its network the user’s choice of lawful devices that do not
harm the network
4. Competitive Options.
Subject to reasonable network management,
a provider of broadband Internet access service
may not deprive any of its users of the user’s entitlement
to competition among network providers, application
providers, service providers and content providers
5. Nondiscrimination.
must treat lawful content, applications and services in a
nondiscriminatory manner
6. Transparency.
must disclose such information concerning network
management and other practices as is reasonably required
for users and content, application and service providers to
enjoy the protections specified in this part

* bold emphasis mine

If it were up to the networks and broadband providers they would have long-since established procedures and protocols for ensuring "delivery" and "access" to what they and their partners consider "premium content" ... all the while leaving Joe Blow from Idaho wondering why his downloads, links, sites, etc. are taking forever to complete.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Very true that Fox seems to have it out for Obama but does that mean you think the tax is not real or that you or ok with the tax itself? For me anyways the real important part was the tax not who presented the news. (not a Fox news fan by any stretch)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Well I got the link from Fox news my mistake and then touche lol. Thanks for the information. It would appear I was just schooled lol. Anyways I still feel wary about any new legislation especially when it applies to our last frontier of open communication. I'll have to take a look at it and see if I can make heads or tails of it. Thanks for PDF too.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The National Broadband Plan is focused on increasing beneficial use of the Internet, including e-commerce and new innovative business models. The current patchwork of state and local laws and regulations relating to taxation of digital goods and services (such as ringtones, digital music, etc.) may hinder new investment and business models. Entrepreneurs and small businesses in particular may lack the resources to understand and comply with the various tax regimes.

Recognizing that state and local governments pursue varying approaches to raising tax revenues, a national framework for digital goods and services taxation would reduce uncertainty and remove one barrier to online entrepreneurship and investment.

There's already "e-commerce" taxes. He's trying to codify them in an easy to understand, uniform tax regime. One wonders what's wrong with taking a hodgepodge of regulations and taxes and cleaning them up to make them more understandable and coherent..

Where does it say that he's going to RAISE taxes? And certainly he's not TAXING THE INTERNET

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Subject to reasonable network management

That was the most important part of the whole thing you listed. Who is to determine what "reasonable network management" is?

I can already tell you right now what is going to happen. They are going to implement this and they are going to turn the internet into something like TV packages.

If you want the basic access that will be x amount of dollars. Want a littler more that will be added on to the basic access, then if you want the full blown deal that will be a bunch of more dollars.

Then will come having to have an FCC license to operate an ISP and that will consolidate ISP power down into a few giant corporations because the start up costs will skyrocket and the the threat of people getting together to challenge the ISP's market share will no longer be there.

That is the con's side to it. The plus side to it is that once they regulate the internet(that is exactly what Net-Neutrality is, regulation under Orwellian Newspeak) then the internet will become a viable way to make money, considering you actually can afford the start up costs.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Nah. It wasn't so much a direct response to yourself or your initial post. Moreover, it was intended for anyone who fell prey to the rather obvious and contrived attempts by both FOX and The Washington Post looking to "spin" it into a politically-charged attack on the current administration. This has been in the works for quite a while and to try and pin it on any one given politician or party is disingenuous at best.

... and I'm not a supporter of either or any, for that matter.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well I can honestly say I appreciate you bringing more information into the thread and to my attention either way!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

Seems you have a few things either completely backwards or entirely misunderstood.

Net Neutrality is all about ensuring it stays the free and open source of information it was designed to be in the first place.

This particular Recommendation has absolutely Nothing to do with making or turning it into any sort of a la carte (pay as you go) package plan approach.

There are Many out there who have apparently had the understanding clouded by the various misinformation regarding such ... politicians and people alike... with McCain's announced favor of such being a fine example.

It's all in the wording used. On one hand it would seem he favors Net Neutrality but when you look deeper you find he's actually in bed with and in favor of those who would rather have the Exact opposite. - the network providers.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Reply to post by Kaytagg

The prospect of taxes on Internet/digital goods just got me thinking. In a state like New Hampshire with no sales tax would this result in a brick and mortar revival? Would those residets be exempt from paying the tax as currently o ly those who reside in the same state as the online retailer are required to pay a sales tax, which consequently has them looking to retailers not located in their state of residence for the purchase.

Would the Internet and all Internet commerce suddenly become federal domain making all transactions subject to a federal sales tax of sorts?

Just thinking.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join