It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No joke: Karzai threatens to join the Taliban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has slammed Western backers for the second time in a week, accusing the United States of interference, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.

In a private meeting with up to 70 Afghan lawmakers Saturday, Karzai also warned that the Taliban insurgency could become a legitimate resistance movement if foreign meddling in Afghan affairs continues, the Journal said, citing participants in the talks.

During the talks, Karzai, whose government is supported by billions of dollars of Western aid and 126,000 foreign troops fighting the Taliban, said he would be compelled to join the insurgency himself if the parliament does not back his bid to take over Afghanistan's electoral watchdog.

I have a hard time believing the West would meddle in Afghanistan's affairs. Except for installing Karzai in the first place. What a curious web we weave.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I just heard this on democracy now.

crazy! what a web indeed!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
He was a setup all along in the first place. The MSM has been using the term "unstable" to describe him for the past few days since he said this. They're using linguistics to make us view Afghanistan as a rogue state, thus justifying the increase in troops. It's all a game to them.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It's funny to see that Karzai, as a puppet of the Western powers, is threatening to join the Taliban. I can't help but laugh, as this guy is useless and totally unpopular. Take the VIP detail off his back and he won't dare go out of his home, by fear of getting murdered by the very people he threatens to join.
You Americans should have never entered this country full of uneducated peasants. Now they have delusions of grandeur

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
my opinion

The President of Afghanistan was probably misquoted or using political rederick to make a point to lawmakers trying to sway things his way.

I have no doubt the Presdent of Afganistan is loyal to the U.N as if he actually did turn things over to the Taliban he wouldn't be around for very long.

but hey this is just my opinion I'm no Political guy so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
AP news confirms.

www.google.com...

Afghan President Hamid Karzai threatened over the weekend to quit the political process and join the Taliban if he continued to come under outside pressure to reform, several members of parliament said Monday. Karzai made the unusual statement at a closed-door meeting Saturday with selected lawmakers — just days after kicking up a diplomatic controversy with remarks alleging foreigners were behind fraud in last year's disputed elections.

And CBS: www.cbsnews.com...

[edit on 5-4-2010 by john124]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Two things are certain here:

1) Karzai wants to be a dictator.

2) The Americans and the West are meddling in Afghanistan when they shouldn't be.

Are we surprised by either thing? No.

What will the outcome be? More shooting and violence. Oh and billions made by certain key corporations that wish for perpetual war.

Parallex.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MattMulder
You Americans should have never entered this country full of uneducated peasants. Now they have delusions of grandeur

They whomped the tar out of the Russians...they whomped the tar out of the Brits...how far back do you want to go?

I'd say that the delusions of grandeur are the ones borne by the invaders.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I think the piles of rubble leftover in taliban villages from wars with Russia and NATO may imply the opposite.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well if he joins the Taliban, the US can label him as a terrorist, waterboard him for information and no doubt discover it was him who was actually behind 911.

Afghanistan is a joke and the US is getting it's a$$ kicked.

What more is there to say?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

I think the piles of rubble leftover in taliban villages from wars with Russia and NATO may imply the opposite.

I think those very same Russians may agree that invading Afghanistan was a bad move on their part.

& the Karzai thing is interesting.

Could it be that the US/NATO installed puppet is growing a backbone?

Should be interesting to follow

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My opinion:

Afghan President Hamid Karzai is a puppet put in power by the US/UN. President Hamid Karzai big problem is that he doesnt know that he is without power.
He wasn't put in power to shape the future of Afghanistan. He was put in power to be a Afghan puppet with a Afghan face, that can speak the Afghan language. He will be properly reminded of that by the CIA i bet.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Which would account for the fact that this particular initiative is such a cakewalk, right?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Which would account for the fact that this particular initiative is such a cakewalk, right?

A stalemate.... until NATO fight a conventional war against a conventional army - the Afghan army that it's training now.

Nobody wins in guerrilla warfare where the country's leaders & village leaders are corrupt enough, unless a full-on nuclear assault takes place.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

A stalemate.... until NATO fight a conventional war against a conventional army - the Afghan army that it's training now.

Nobody wins in guerrilla warfare where the country's leaders & village leaders are corrupt enough, unless a full-on nuclear assault takes place.

If the combined weight of the NATO forces cannot best the Afghan militias without glazing the country...I don't call that a stalemate. But I do call it a pretty good sign that we shouldn't be there in the first place. And again...corruption is a very subjective term. Others would call it pragmatism.

The simple truth is that if we hadn't meddled in their affairs for the sake of a pipeline...or fighting commies before that...we wouldn't be in this quagmire.

And if the atrocities of the Taliban had anything to do with it, we'd have invaded Saudi Arabia a long time ago.

self-edit to clarify that I am using a collective Western 'we'. Canada was not part off the previous CIA proxy battle against the Soviets (as far as I know, anyway)

[edit on 5-4-2010 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

If the combined weight of the NATO forces cannot best the Afghan militias without glazing the country...I don't call that a stalemate.

One problem with that assessment. The taliban have hideouts not yet occupied by NATO, and not all of NATO are contributing. Until NATO troops leave, it's a stalemate. You can bet that if the taliban were an existential threat to western Europe (like the Nazi's), the taliban would be annihilated.

And again...corruption is a very subjective term. Others would call it pragmatism.

If you feel it to be pragmatic for officials & villagers to aid the taliban.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You can bet that if the taliban were an existential threat to western Europe (like the Nazi's), the taliban would be annihilated.

But they are not. The occupation of Afghanistan is about the transmission of oil. Oh, and the lucrative practice of destroying a country and rebuilding it.

JC: And again...corruption is a very subjective term. Others would call it pragmatism.

If you feel it to be pragmatic for officials & villagers to aid the taliban.

It certainly is to the locals...and to Karzai, apparently. Like I said, if altruism were a motive, then the Saudis would be next. I don't see that happening any time soon.

What kind of hubris made the West think they could accomplish what the Soviets failed to do? Like I keep saying, they didn't play nearly as nice as we do...other recent threads notwithstanding.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Karzai was installed by BUsh Chency and co,as they loved the guy,no doubt because he was connected to UNOCAL oil company in the region.

As reported in Le Monde, the new Afghan government's head, Hamid Karzai, formerly served as a UNOCAL consultant. Only nine days after Karzai's ascension, President Bush nominated another UNOCAL consultant and former Taliban defender, Zalmay Khalilzad, as his special envoy to Afghanistan.

www.counterpunch.org...

Never mind the fact that he and his family are more than likeley up to their necks in the heroin trade...Hell that probably made bush and cheney love the guy even more.

WASHINGTON — When Afghan security forces found an enormous cache of heroin hidden beneath concrete blocks in a tractor-trailer outside Kandahar in 2004, the local Afghan commander quickly impounded the truck and notified his boss.Before long, the commander, Habibullah Jan, received a telephone call from Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of President Hamid Karzai, asking him to release the vehicle and the drugs, Mr. Jan later told American investigators, according to notes from the debriefing obtained by The New York Times.

www.nytimes.com...

Sounds like a great chap doesn't he...Just the sort of guy you want running things.

People are dying for this jerk?
Hes never going to be a good ally,and we are letting our soldiers die for what again?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
No, no, no. You guys aren't getting it. Karzai is gonna join the Taliban to change them from within. He is will continue to be the honest, ethical, beneign, broker for peace he has always been.
Had ya going for a second.

what makes you think he doesn't/hasn't been part of or at least had connetions to the taliban.

Bluff, smokescreen or political gamesmanship. he wants something from the U.S., we won't give it to him, so he threatens us.

Its one of the three, I would put the odds at

1. 10 bazillion to 1
2. 2:1
3. 3:2

Any takers?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have a hard time believing the West would meddle in Afghanistan's affairs.

Don't just say you have a hard time believing the west would meddle in Afghanistan's affairs without explaining why..

Why ? The whole country is occupied, if that is not meddling to the maximum then what is? Forget about votes, do you really believe America will let Afghans choose who ever they want? That is non-sense..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join