It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Video Released!!

page: 70
<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Someone mentioned the Gunner was viewing a 6" video display which related to poor target ID. I have been researching to find image, but no joy. However, this seems interesting. (Not sure if EXACT same model or optics) But I would think images into the eyeball are pretty hi rez.

Both pilot and gunner were provided with the IHADSS collimated helmet mounted CRT projectors, designed to deliver raster scan camera imagery and calligraphic flight, weapon aiming and systems symbology directly into the right eye.

Also noteworthy:

significantly improved situational awareness in a highly dynamic, high threat battlefield environment

The datalinking facility is seamlessly integrated into the software, allowing the pilot or gunner to use mouselike screen click and drag operations to "segment" a target set and with a click of a button pass the targets to another AH-64D.

In a tactical situation a gunner could loose off his weapons very quickly, without having to even worry about selection - all is performed by the software.

The Longbow radar and MMWI Hellfire are an extremely effective package which should provide exceptional lethality when used by a tactically cunning operator.

Keyword........cunning.

SOURCE

[edit on 6-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Remember all of the nonsense around Jessica Lynch?

That kind of bureaucratic noise is why information is garbled and communications are ineffective.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Well, I'm out of here.

How can you honestly say that the guys heard and saw the helicopter? And how can you say that insurgents never roam around in groups? Have you not seen any other apache 30mm guncams? Or are those coverups too? There are many many videos of bad guys setting up IEDs in broad daylight while the apache watches.

Do you think they knew that the chopper was there?

I now know why everyone is so outraged by this video... Because they cant watch it without having the obvious agenda stamped on their brain.

On a side note, I think the government covered it up because the photographers had pictures of the conspirators behind 9/11.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

You would be surprised what ignorant things insurgents do. Sometimes its like that tv show "America's dumbest criminals".

They arn't professional soldiers, most of them are civilians who are manipulated by charismatic leaders who use them as cannon fodder.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that the soldiers in question did what they felt was necessary in the situation they were in. I saw the video and I think they were very rational. There was no hunting for sport mentality that is obviously trying to be depicted by wiki. You people, like I, saw 15 minutes out of the day in the life of a U. S. soldier in a hostile environment. I will not sit in my comfy house thousands of miles away and demand that these soldiers be brought up on charges. We sit in our safe little homes and berate bosses, teachers, cops, and military, anyone who has chosen to take a step ahead of others to try to make a difference. I suggest to anyone that doesn’t like what they saw in the video to try to understand that the ones there are the best judges of what to do in that situation. Its bad enough we have men and women dying over in Iraq and Afghanistan and have armchair Politian’s telling them what to do from their secure little offices. I will not sit here and try to believe I can decide what to do from a few minute video. Anyone that does is thinking they are “Holier Than Thou” and are just looking for something to bash America with again. As B. Hussein Obama would say…”Workers Unite!”
Damn Communists!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that the soldiers in question did what they felt was necessary in the situation they were in. I saw the video and I think they were very rational. There was no hunting for sport mentality that is obviously trying to be depicted by wiki. You people, like I, saw 15 minutes out of the day in the life of a U. S. soldier in a hostile environment. I will not sit in my comfy house thousands of miles away and demand that these soldiers be brought up on charges. We sit in our safe little homes and berate bosses, teachers, cops, and military, anyone who has chosen to take a step ahead of others to try to make a difference. I suggest to anyone that doesn’t like what they saw in the video to try to understand that the ones there are the best judges of what to do in that situation. Its bad enough we have men and women dying over in Iraq and Afghanistan and have armchair Politian’s telling them what to do from their secure little offices. I will not sit here and try to believe I can decide what to do from a few minute video. Anyone that does is thinking they are “Holier Than Thou” and are just looking for something to bash America with again. As B. Hussein Obama would say…”Workers Unite!”
Damn Communists!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Right ... and THERE you have it!

As soon as those defending the military's actions from that day are asked the most important question as to why would the military cover up a righteous kill ...

One bails with insults about those who dare ask questions and sarcasm about 9/11 and another brings up a totally unrelated case of jessica Lynch!

And THAT tells you pretty much everything you need to know about this case and why they are trying to deflect attention from the stated question and into the details of the video!

It is a ploy ... one intended to keep us of reasoning the obvious.

The military's own actions in regards to the events of that day and since that day define their guilt!

[edit on 6 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

You keep bringing me back on topic. I appreciate it. I think we can all agree that the actions of the Govt in this instance (and many others) are highly questionable. Whether or not you believe the shooting was justified, why the lies and hiding?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I used Lynch as example of the bureaucratic circus that is public relations in the military.

Want an even better example? Pat Tillman.

By the way, logical fallacies arn't really a good route to go.

[edit on 6/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Want an even better example? Pat Tillman.

Heh, thanks for bringing that up for the Pat Tillman case reinforces MY point, namely that the military lies and covers events up when they are in the wrong!

The Army initially claimed that Tillman and his unit were attacked in an apparent ambush on a road outside of the village of Sperah about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Khost, near the Pakistan border. An Afghan militia soldier was killed, and two other Rangers were injured as well.

The Army Special Operations Command initially claimed that there was an exchange with hostile forces. After a lengthy investigation conducted by Brigadier General Jones, the U.S. Department of Defense concluded that both the Afghan militia soldier's and Pat Tillman's deaths were due to friendly fire aggravated by the intensity of the firefight.
A more thorough investigation concluded that no hostile forces were involved in the firefight and that two allied groups fired on each other in confusion after a nearby explosive device was detonated.

On July 26, 2007, the AP received official documents stating that the investigating doctors performing the autopsy suspected that Tillman was murdered.[8]

My god, change a few names around and it sounds almost identical!

Again, massive mistake is made/crime committed > cover up > lies > eventually the truth comes out.

EXACTLY what is happening here!

And again their behavior, as in the PT case, defined their guilt!

Oh and:

I used Lynch as example of the bureaucratic circus that is public relations in the military.

Really?

You're chalking up the whole coverup on a bureaucratic snafu?

Nice!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

What your failing to understand here is usually no one has the whole story.

Much of the higher ups are too far away to really know or understand. People on the ground don't make accurate and detailed reports. Sometimes they do make good reports, but people up higher don't read them. There are miscommunications. It turns into assumptions.

That is my point, people assume things. Your making some pretty subjective assumptions yourself, so step back and take a breath.

Don't assume anything, especially based off of a logical fallacy.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Wasn't the Space Shuttle supposed to have blown up today so that this news got buried .........

They tried too that but all they did, in the end, was bend the antenna!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Question:

If they were insurgents with weapons, would they have been calmly walking around whilst a US military helicopter circles around them?
Or would they have scattered? And possibly used the RPG like..... oh i don't know...... 10 mins earlier?

I guarantee you the calm composure of the Iraqi in that video would not be the same as many of the insurgents they usually take down.

Using that logic, that pretty much proves they were looking for excuses to kill.
Not that the video needs defending in any way. It pretty much speaks for itself.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been mention but this story is on the BBC.
news.bbc.co.uk...

It talks more bout what Wikileaks is about, the video only gets a mention in the first couple lines of text, and it is in the Technology section?

I stand corrected, There is another link here - news.bbc.co.uk...
which covers the entire story and shows the video. Its good to see this is in the MSM

[edit on 6/4/2010 by wycky]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Please, try it with someone else!

Every question before you is met with deflection, shifting reasoning, and grasping at the proverbial straws ... including the oldest ploy in the book of telling me that "I just don't get it."

All are further attempts to obfuscate ... attempts that will in this case be unsuccessful on your end.

They boys screwed up and killed the wrong people for the wrong reasons, command lied about it when it happened, buried it, covered it up, resisted the FOIA requests, and they like yourself are only addressing it now, with a different story, and only in the face of the truth in order to limit the pr damage!

That is all!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by T0by
Question:

If they were insurgents with weapons, would they have been calmly walking around whilst a US military helicopter circles around them?
Or would they have scattered? And possibly used the RPG like..... oh i don't know...... 10 mins earlier?

I guarantee you the calm composure of the Iraqi in that video would not be the same as many of the insurgents they usually take down.

Using that logic, that pretty much proves they were looking for excuses to kill.
Not that the video needs defending in any way. It pretty much speaks for itself.

Keep in mind that the Chopper is not as close as the images show. The chopper is probably 500 to a 1000m away from these guys. They dont even know they are being observed as a potential target. Even though the chopper is circling the aria. Its in a city environment who know what the chopper is looking at.

A RPG would never had been a threat to that Chopper at that range.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

No that is not all.

You are not a court of law or even a judge.

I told you what your doing is a logical fallacy. The only deflecting I see is not coming from me.

They boys screwed up and killed the wrong people for the wrong reasons, command lied about it when it happened, buried it, covered it up, resisted the FOIA requests, and them like yourself are only addressing it now, with a different story, and only in the fac of the truth in order to limit the pr damage!

These are all assumptions.

Especially the last part. You think I decided to post in this thread to limit PR damage?

That is just silly. I've been on ATS for close to six years. I post where ever I feel like posting.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
question is what was the RPG and it is I've blown up the images of the Tripod/RPG....it is a RPG.. Going to be used for and if it was going to be used then the press knew what it was going to be used for and were on site ready to get pictures of the carnage...another question what was the Photographer looking at down the street? Compound? US Patrol? what was so interesting from that vantage point?.....There seems to be so many question, putting the horror aside.
If I drove into that scene with my kids in my car I would of put my foot down and got as far from it as possible, then wrung for a Ambulance or the Police.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have read most of the thread but I was wondering...Did anyone calculate the delay between the sound of gunfire to the actual impact of the bullets. I am trying to get an idea of the distance from the helicopter to the victims. Also the average time to complete a circle around the target area? Can anyone translate the dash display?

Also no one seems to mention the Hellfire attack and the deaths of passersby.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

Originally posted by T0by
Question:

Keep in mind that the Chopper is not as close as the images show. The chopper is probably 500 to a 1000m away from these guys. They dont even know they are being observed as a potential target. Even though the chopper is circling the aria. Its in a city environment who know what the chopper is looking at.

A RPG would never had been a threat to that Chopper at that range.

I'm sure someone knowledgeable on the subject could probably get an estimate on the range of helicopter, judging from the rate of shots fired to the time of impact.

new topics

top topics

<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join