It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should America Bid Farewell to Exceptional Freedom?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

On March 31st, Rep. Paul Ryan delivered a keynote address to the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs, one of the better state-based free market think tanks. It is a magisterial distillation of where we are…and where we need to go.

Last week, on March 21st, Congress enacted a new Intolerable Act. Congress passed the Health Care bill – or I should say, one political party passed it – over a swelling revolt by the American people. The reform is an atrocity. It mandates that every American must buy health insurance, under IRS scrutiny. It sets up an army of federal bureaucrats who ultimately decide for you how you should receive Health Care, what kind, and how much…or whether you don’t qualify at all. Never has our government claimed the power to decide when each of us has lived well enough or long enough to be refused life-saving medical assistance.

This presumptuous reform has put this nation … once dedicated to the life and freedom of every person … on a long decline toward the same mediocrity that the social welfare states of Europe have become.

Americans are preparing to fight another American Revolution, this time, a peaceful one with election ballots…but the “causes” of both are the same:

* Should unchecked centralized government be allowed to grow and grow in power … or should its powers be limited and returned to the people?
* Should irresponsible leaders in a distant capital be encouraged to run up scandalous debts without limit that crush jobs and stall prosperity … or should the reckless be turned out of office and a new government elected to live within its means?
* Should America bid farewell to exceptional freedom and follow the retreat to European social welfare paternalism … or should we make a new start, in the faith that boundless opportunities belong to the workers, the builders, the industrious, and the free?

We are at the beginning of an election campaign like you’ve never seen before!

This is just the beginning of his address and he really nails it in my opinion. I wish he was from Ohio rather than Wisconsin. It is refreshing to hear a politician that actually gets it.

What kind of nation do we wish to be? What kind of society will we hand down to our children and future generations? In the coming watershed election, the nature of this unique and exceptional land is at stake. We will choose one of two different paths. And once we make that choice, there’s no going back.

This is not the kind of election I would prefer. But it was forced on us by the leaders of our government.

These leaders are walking America down a new path … creating entitlements and promising benefits that model the United States after the European Union: a welfare state society where most people pay little or no taxes but become dependent on government benefits … where tax reduction is impossible because more people have a stake in the welfare state than in free enterprise … where high unemployment is accepted as a way of life, and the spirit of risk-taking is smothered by a tangle of red tape from an all-providing centralized government.

True, the United States has been moving slowly toward this path a long time. And Democrats and Republicans share the blame. Now we are approaching a “tipping point.” Once we pass it, we will become a different people. Before the “tipping point,” Americans remain independent and take responsibility for their own well-being. Once we have gone beyond the “tipping point,” that self-sufficient outlook will be gradually transformed into a soft despotism a lot like Europe’s social welfare states. Soft despotism isn’t cruel or mean, it’s kindly and sympathetic. It doesn’t help anyone take charge of life, but it does keep everyone in a happy state of childhood. A growing centralized bureaucracy will provide for everyone’s needs, care for everyone’s heath, direct everyone’s career, arrange everyone’s important private affairs, and work for everyone’s pleasure.

The only hitch is, government must be the sole supplier of everyone’s happiness … the shepherd over this flock of sheep.

Am I exaggerating? Are we really reaching this “tipping point”? Exact and precise measures cannot be made, but an eye-opening study by the Tax Foundation, a reliable and non-partisan research group, tells us that in 2004, 20 percent of US households were getting about 75 percent of their income from the federal government. In other words, one out of five families in America is already government dependent. Another 20 percent were receiving almost 40 percent of their income from federal programs, so another one in five has become government reliant for their livelihood.

All told, 60 percent – three out of five households in America – were receiving more government benefits and services (in dollar value) than they were paying back in taxes. The Tax Foundation estimates that President Obama’s budget last year will raise this “net government inflow” from 60 to 70 percent. Look at it this way: three out of ten American families are supporting themselves plus – through government – supplying or supplementing the incomes of seven other households. As a permanent arrangement, this is individually unfair, politically inequitable, and economically dangerous.

The numbers are indeed staggering and facts are facts no matter how hard Obama tries to polish the turd. Obama is clearly hell bent on redistributing the hard earned wealth of the nation's workforce. He is also hell bent on generating a new wave of class warfare between the have's and the govt. created have-not's. All of Obama's radical programs will be entirely funded by the have's when the have-not's can no longer pay into the system from which it takes.

For the remainder of Rep. Ryan's powerful speech please read on.

biggovernment.com...-101098

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Lately, there has been a lot of buzz on ATS regarding the Patriot movement and just how they will accomplish their goals.

Simply put, those that value the nation's founding principles will speak their minds with their votes in the 2010 midterms. Vote out the filth that has rotted our system into near oblivion and restore America back into greatness.

Elect officials that have the guts to reform our system by putting strict limits on their own elected terms and by placing stringent regulations on campaign financing and the movements and actions of powerful lobby groups and industries.

ABOVE ALL ELECT THOSE THAT VALUE THE CONSTITUTION AND ALL THAT IT EMBRACES. BEWARE OF THOSE THAT INSIST ON DISMANTLING IT FOR PERSONAL GAIN.

etc etc etc.. I think my perspective is clear.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Hey, you leave my damn representative alone. No you cannot have him. Here in Wisconsin we have asshats like Obey and Kind. We try to make up for these guys by electing Ryan and you want to steal him. I think not!

I think this November you are going to see one hell of a turn around on the political end of the spectrum.

I just hope there is a country left by that time frame.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Here is how it will work. In November of this year, we will go to the polls and attempt to take our country back in a peaceful and lawful way. The elites will not have it, they will rig the elections and try to make it appear that this is the will of the majority. Too many Americans have woken up to this fac and will not accept it. Shortly thereafter, the rope, the pitchforks and the torches will come out. Things will not end nicely for the elites. Our "Exceptional Freedom" will be returned.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Hey, how about a trade??

I will give you Dennis Kucinich and Sherrod Brown for Ryan.

Wisconsin could use a little Kucinich Elfin' magic.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Here is how it will work. In November of this year, we will go to the polls and attempt to take our country back in a peaceful and lawful way. The elites will not have it, they will rig the elections and try to make it appear that this is the will of the majority. Too many Americans have woken up to this fac and will not accept it. Shortly thereafter, the rope, the pitchforks and the torches will come out. Things will not end nicely for the elites. Our "Exceptional Freedom" will be returned.

Interesting point. What will happen when the exit polls sharply contrast with the posted election results?

One fact is certain... The fear of not being reelected was a not an issue with the passing of HCR and all of those who were cajoled into voting for it.

Gotta wonder why especially for those who have established their only career out of the public office.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Being a fellow Clevelander, I'll second that trade!!!
In fact, I'll even throw in John Boccieri - for good measure!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
TPTB seem very afraid of something, something more valuable than their careers, as evidenced by their obstinate support of the HCR power grab.

I think our economic situation is far more tenuous than is generally recognized. HCR delivers billions upon billions of tax dollars starting last week. I imagine that is the true purpose behind it!

However, given the international bankster hold over the US government, I doubt even this grab will slake their thirst for filthy lucre... even of the imaginary, digital ledger variety.

My worry is whether we will actually have free elections in 2010, let alone 2012. The ground has been set such that even a minor disruption could bring down our system into chaos and the federales have more than sufficient "law" to control the masses should it come to that, by Act of God -- or Man.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Lets further this thought

So your saying basically if your party does not win the majority, its because the elections are rigged...if your party does win, then its because of this great conservative awakening. interesting.

So, if your party doesn't win in a one person/one vote election, you recommend violently overthrowing the person...then what? Please further it...I hear this alot, lets overthrow the government if our votes dont equal enough...but then what? take another vote or simply install your particular leader/party with no vote and make them stay there for good, or as long as you can defend them against any military ku?

What sort of "freedom" are you pressing for...a cuban style?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Can someone please explain what your "Exceptional Freedom" is to an Irish European please? I hear a lot about the freedoms you guys have that we apparently don't have but am not sure what they are.

And if its the "Financial Freedoms" that caused the crash.. I think you might be better off without it lol

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

When we go after the "elites" with our ropes, pitchforks and torches, how will we identify them. Will they be the people with the polo guy on their shirts and nice slacks. I don't want to confuse some poor secretary or guy that works for the Forest Service as an "elite" and stick my pitchfork in him.

Perhaps you can lead us and point out the "elites"

[edit on 5-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
how will we identify them.

I think, if I am reading the multiple posts correctly by some...the elites are the ones with a (D) by their names on the ballot boxes...as we know, D stands for Demons and the R stands for Real...cant go after the real people, as they are our saviors and whatnot.

And as we know...nobody has ever in the history of the united states, ever voted for a D...therefore that proves elections are frauds by demons...

Sure, you may point out that plenty voted for D...even know some...or pretend to be some...this can be explaned by chewbacca.
Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now, think about that. That does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee -- an eight foot tall Wookiee -- want to live on Endor with a bunch of two foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

But more importantly, you have to ask yourself: what does that have to do with this case?
Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense!

Look at me, I'm a ATSer defending a major political party, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense.

And so you have to remember, when you're sitting at your desk deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation... does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor the Democrats never got votes!

hope that clears it up for you

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Can someone please explain what your "Exceptional Freedom" is to an Irish European please? I hear a lot about the freedoms you guys have that we apparently don't have but am not sure what they are.

And if its the "Financial Freedoms" that caused the crash.. I think you might be better off without it lol

Please read the speech contained within the link that I provided in the OP. You will understand "Exceptional Freedom" after reading it. To me the concept embodies what our founding fathers had envisioned for this country. It also embodies the vision that my great grandparents had when they emigrated to America in 1902 in search of a new life and new found freedom.

That vision has long been distorted through the years and it is time to wake up to the reality that lies ever so delicately on the edge.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You are clearly only responding to a posted comment and not the topic of the OP.

Any thoughts on Rep. Ryan's speech?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

You are clearly only responding to a posted comment and not the topic of the OP.

Sorry, I know this wasn't directed at me but....

Yes, it sounded like a parroted cut and paste job from the real GOP leaders Glen Beck and Hannity. Why wasn't he complaining when this taxpayer boondoggle started; the real "tipping point"

costofwar.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Sure, this tipping point will be magically removed from public discourse should a republican get back in office...the same way the same speeches were loud during Clinton years, and went away when Bush went into office...as if by freaking magic.

As far as entitlement programs...the hcr is not a government nipple for people to suck on, its a clampdown of insurance companys.

As far as government providing some welfare for the people, read the preamble to the constitution where it describes how government should give some minimum welfare to the citizens.

As far as this speech in general, its the same ole same ole populist retoric to stir up unfocused rage to fuel votes into a specific party...this rage will be over should that party win, and expect that rage to then be transitioned into defense of the same things they raged against...even discuss how opposition and talks like how they talk now = anti-americanism and if you dont love America, then go to france or some nonsense that was the rage during the bush years.

Finally, the numbers:
The flaw of capitalism is shown here...lets go with this unchecked number...70% of people get more than they pay into...

sucks that most of the money in the US is held by 2% and growing more and more streamlined...
Is the real problem that the people are getting governmental help, or that people need governmental help due to such a wealth disparity. What he is saying is simple and might as well use a medieval example:

The surfs of the kingdom are asking for food and clothes...meanwhile they are only farming up food. The dukes whom collect all resources now have to put out up to 1/100th of their roundups to keep these peasents and surfs alive because the king dictated it. The dukes must come together, overthrow the king and set in a king that will stop looking out for the peasents and instead protect the dukes from giving the basic survival tools to these unwashed masses.

Sorry, but I am beyond the founding fathers initial nieve philosophy...they dreamed of a time where George Washington was to be king (he rejected), and assumed America would have plenty of literal slaves to fuel any issues they have. The loss of slaves, the collectivism of the corporations, and the inevitable and obvious end that results in any capitalist society has changed the landscape of America..the people keep voting in people to try and treat symptoms, and this is what you get..a overbloated government, a dependent people, and a endless cycle of symptom and treatment, because its taboo to talk about the actual sickness in the first place.

things will never change..until we stop worshipping the founding fathers as dietys and simply look at the philosophies.

new topics

top topics

join