It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Cool Facts about Space

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
thats pretty impressive! when people talk about space it dosen't matter what they say it never seems to amaze me because space is just a wierd and wonderfull place any think is possable

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Uranus was once called George's star, eh?

I guess they were not expecting the 'your anus' jokes.

Now I really prefer George's Star despite being totally inaccurate.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The Moon is not moving away from us but rather is getting closer every year.

"When you explained the cataclysm which knocked the Earth off its axis, you said that refuge on the moon was not possible because it didnt exist - and yet now, you say that safety bases were established on the moon for these emigrants...

There was no moon at the time when the blacks populated Australia, or for a very long time afterwards. There had been two very small moons much earlier - about six million years ago, which revolved around Earth, eventually colliding with it, that is what killed the dinosaurs. Earth was not inhabited at the time so, although terrible cataclysms followed, it didnt really matter.

About 500 000 years ago, Earth captured a much larger moon - the one which exists now. It was passing too close to your planet and was attracted into an orbit. This often happens with moons. Further catastrophes were provoked by this event...

What do you mean when you say passing too close to Earth? Why didnt it crash? And anyway, what is a moon?

It could have crashed indeed, but that doesnt often happen. A moon is originally a small planet revolving around its sun in a spiral that becomes increasingly tight. The smaller planets spiral more rapidly than the larger ones, because their inertial force is less.

Their spiral being faster, the smaller planets often catch up to the larger planets and, if they pass too closely, the gravitational attraction of the planet will be stronger than that of the sun. The smaller planet begins to orbit the larger one, still in a spiral, which will sooner or later result in a collision. Are you saying that our beautiful moon celebrated in poem and song, will one day fall on our heads?

One day, yes... but not for about 195 000 years.

When that happens - when the moon collides with the Earth - that will be the end of your planet. If the people of Earth are not sufficiently spiritually and technologically advanced at the time, it will mean a holocaust; but, if they are, they will have evacuated to another planet. Everything in its time though, - for now, I must finish off my story concerning the Lost continent of Lemuria and Atlantis. "
The Angel Thoa from the book The Thiaoouba Prophecy by Michel Desmarquet

Remember NASA uses a Mirror on the moon and bounces a laser off that mirror and calculates the lag time in order to calculate how much "farther" away our moon is going. Although you may think its going away from us because space is expanding. Their stance seems counterpoint to common sense of larger heavy mass objects attracting smaller ones due to the bend in the time/space fabric. -

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Thiaoouba Prophecy]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
I didn't know about the Asteroid that's following us. I wonder why it hasn't caught up to us and Crashed?

I knew about the Cold Welding though. When I found out about it, I was amazed that something like that can happen. I wonder how you could Mimmick the process, here on Earth?

Great thread. I wish there was more like 'em..

You enlightened my day.. Thankyou..

Because we're moving too...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Damian-007

I knew about the Cold Welding though. When I found out about it, I was amazed that something like that can happen. I wonder how you could Mimmick the process, here on Earth?

Simple experiment. Chemical bath inside vacuum chamber. Remove layer of oxidation via many simple chemical baths. Or, simply shave a layer of metal off and expose non-oxidized metal.

Still, I wonder why they would bond with the force of a "weld"??? I understand why they would bond, but not so strong as to be considered a weld?

Anyhow, interesting list. SnF!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
very interresting information...too bad i can't do cold welding at work on cars when we put in patches...imagine no warpage it would be great

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Jupiter is also not very dense being mostly Hydrogen. It is a failed star since it is not quite big enough to get a reaction going, but dies have enough gravity that the hydrogen at its center is solid and metallic….every weird…

The star Betelgeuse is known as a red giant and sometimes the false mars since it gets mistaken for mars a lot. What is so cool about it is that it is so big that it is bigger than where mars is orbiting and would still be ½ way to Jupiter in size….BIG!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Fact: We are moving through space at the rate of 530km a second
Our Galaxy – the Milky Way is spinning at a rate of 225 kilometers per second. In addition, the galaxy is traveling through space at the rate of 305 kilometers per second. This means that we are traveling at a total speed of 530 kilometers (330 miles) per second. That means that in one minute you are about 19 thousand kilometers away from where you were. Scientists do not all agree on the speed with which the Milky Way is traveling – estimates range from 130 – 1,000 km/s. It should be said that Einstein’s theory of relativity, the velocity of any object through space is not meaningful.

Why? Why would Einstein's Theory of Relativity be proven wrong by this statement?

I believe it's all there, all the way to the expansion theory we observe happening.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join