It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Cool Facts about Space

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Godd jog Alakan Man

There are those that believe that our moon was placed there. Richard Hoagland even believes that it can locomote.

We'll see.

Jason

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
1. Cold Welding

Fact: If two pieces of metal touch in space, they become permanently stuck together
This may sound unbelievable, but it is true. Two pieces of metal without any coating on them will form in to one piece in the vacuum of space. This doesn’t happen on earth because the atmosphere puts a layer of oxidized material between the surfaces. This might seem like it would be a big problem on the space station but as most tools used there have come from earth, they are already coated with material. In fact, the only evidence of this seen so far has been in experiments designed to provoke the reaction. This process is called cold welding.

Source

Now thats neat, To bad anything from earth seems to already have the oxidation that keeps this from happening, I think space stations might come together a little easier if they just stuck together like that.

Hope everyone enjoyed this list as much as I did

Great info! But, ya know, if two pieces of metal stuck together permanently from Earth, we may have trouble undocking from the Space Station or using tools, etc. in space.

Seems it is more a "blessing" that this does not occur. Why, you couldn't even use a crow-bar to unstick two pieces of metal...unless you created a really strong plastic crow-bar, I guess.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

you said you expected us to be traveling faster than 325mph. It didn't say 325mph it said 325 miles PER SECOND.

which by the way is about 20,000mph

[edit on 5-4-2010 by rufusdrak]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Great post, 10/10. I never knew about cold welding.

I could see this being very helpful in the future if/when humanity begins to develop large scale projects in space.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by above

It is 330 miles per SECOND, or 118800 mph

oooh good catch, not sure how i missed that,

now thats fast!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Molybdenum is essential to ALL STEEL PRODUCTION. If you try using iron ore without it, the crystallin structure is brittle and will fracture very easily. They add the MOLY [as in chrome moly
] to the chemical structure and it lines the iron, making the steel HARDER.

There isn't a piece a steel made without the essential element. Mined aggressively at the 2500ft mine in Henderson Colorado. Climax mine in Leadville Colorado.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have heard that we are rotating around the center of the MilkyWay at some 500,000mph!!!!! Taking us some 200 Million years to go around once!

It seems that these computations are just humans complexing things to much!

What a great read!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Believe it or not, fact number one about Saturn is in my daughter's Dr. Seuss book "There's No Place Like Space!" - that's the only reason I knew it.

Another bizarre fact about Saturn is that a naturally occuring perfect hexagon exists on Saturn's northern pole, covering the entire pole!

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Cold welding, huh- Ya know, it explains those 'smooth, featureless' UFOs some people see....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
wow, very cool. great post. i myself have ALWAYS questioned how the hell they come up with the conclusions they do. such as how do they really know how long energy takes to travel from the core of the sun to the surface, or how they figure out the exact densities of saturn and other planets if we can only view the planets.

great thread Alaskan Man

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

"Fact: If two pieces of metal touch in space, they become permanently stuck together This may sound unbelievable, but it is true."

Maybe not? At least according to Henry Spencer...

"In space: Mechanical problems in early satellites were sometimes attributed to cold welding. However, in 2006, Henry Spencer stated that the phenomenon of spontaneous cold welding in outer space is "basically a myth", pointing out that "there are no documented cases of it actually occurring in orbit, except in experiments deliberately designed to provoke it (with susceptible materials, great care to avoid contamination, and deliberate mechanical removal of oxide layers, etc.)."

Cold Welding

[edit on 5-4-2010 by mecheng]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Great post Alaskan Man, just goes to show how little we know, and how much we have to learn.

With regards to the moon info, i read in another post on here that the composition of the moon is not the same as the earth, so scientist are still pondering where and what!!!

I would put a link in to the post but new to posting so still learning

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Very interesting post.

Nice read. S&F

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

Consequently, the earth is slowing in rotation by about 0.002 seconds per day per century.

Is this per day or per century.?

That means an earth is decelerating at a rate of 0.002 seconds per day per century.. in other words, a day is getting longer (because the earth is spinning slower) by 0.002 seconds every 100 years.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
OP, if that moon is orbiting in the way that you have specified, then wouldnt it stand to reason that this could be the self same alleged planet x that is said to doom us all (i have an open mind to this 2012 idea but i just dont feel any danger, or do i?? dun dun dunnnn!!!!)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great thread, thanks.

I was trying to figure out how fast we were moving around the sun in our orbit the other day, but couldn't remember how long it took light to reach us to come up with a reasonable answer. my guesses were way off, I thought an hour or more.

Hmm, eight minutes for light to reach us from the surface of the sun.

186,000 mps speed of light * 60 seconds * 8 minutes =89,280,000 miles distance to the sun.

865,000 M dia sun / 2 + 89,280,000 = 89,712,500 approximate radius Earth's orbit.

89,72,500 * 2 *3.14159 = 563,679,785.8 distance Earth travels in one year.

563,679,785.8 / 365.25 days = 1,543,271.145 MpD

1,543,271.145 / 24 = 64,303 MpH

64,300 / 60 = 1,071.7 MpM

1,07107 / 60 = 17.86 MpS, and I came up pretty close to this number when I did it in my head.

Now if I remember right that is about the speed our probes travel through space, but no, most of our deep space probes move slower than the Earth, only around 35,000 MpH. but those aren't our fasted space probes.

www.daviddarling.info...

The record for the fastest spacecraft of all is held by the twin Helios probes that were placed in orbit around the Sun. Both these vehicles reached top speeds of around 150,000 mph (250,000 km/h) at closest approach to the Sun in their highly elliptical orbits, Helios 2 being marginally the swifter.

I guess gravity keeps those probes from being left behind as we move through the galaxy.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
another listverse list used for a thread? I'd have thought everyone on ATS would be hip to that site by now and go there regularly. and I only get pissy about it because I'm friends with Jamie Frater (site owner)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Number 9 is Miles Per SECOND not Hour....so we're traveling through space @ 330 MPS! That's FAST!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jeddun

X X

[edit on 6-4-2010 by insurgency]

[edit on 6-4-2010 by insurgency]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Check this fact!

Alcohol in Space!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>