It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your greatest 'fear'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I like this short poem... it speaks volumes about the fear we have to step out of our comfort zones and to *really live* our lives...

The hens they all cackle, the roosters all beg,
But I will not hatch, I will not hatch.
For I hear all the talk of pollution and war
As the people all shout and the airplane roar,
So I'm staying in here where it's safe and it's warm,
And I WILL NOT HATCH!

~Shel Silverstein

[edit on 4-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
*Clowns*

To be a bit more philosophical, I would say I fear *Regret* the most.
When my time comes, I want to be able to look back on a life well lived.

Hey LadySkadi,

thank you for stopping bye.....

Yes, CLOWNS are scary, for sure....

WHY, tho?

OT

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm afraid of something adverse happening to my Bride. I don't spend time fretting about it, but if I had to identify a fear, that would be it.

It'd be really cool and just like us if we both went out at the same time doing something fun. That's the mantra that zeroes the fear.

Edit to add: I realized as I posted this, that I'm also afraid of her being all alone, so I'd have to amend the above to something adverse happening to either of us.

Dang, that sounds selfish. No world anhialation? No fear of millions starving? Yep, those things are always sharp needles, but you asked for my worst fear.

[edit on 4/4/10 by argentus]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Great question, not much for me - fear has mostly been medicated out of me by now, ......

Yep. yep.... thats how many deal with this poignant question

OT

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I'm afraid of something adverse happening to my Bride. .....

Great insight....

I, too, have fear, when it comes to the things I CANNOT control, abot the ones I love...whew

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I have to agree with LadySkadi about the clowns. Worse yet, those frickin' creepy dolls, especially the old ones with the long-yard stare.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

I have to agree with LadySkadi about the clowns. Worse yet, those frickin' creepy dolls, especially the old ones with the long-yard stare.

OK, me too....

But in REALITY these lil' things can't hurt us.....

We will laugh about them after a few decades of living....what will get us when we are past 60?

That's the question...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ok ok I'll play fair than.

I knew you guys would like that little "chestnut".

Here is a fear I have, hehe, posting something really dumb on ATS and getting flamed by literally everyone.

I am afraid of that. But I keep posting so I am making this possibility become more likely every day!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by LadySkadi
*Clowns*

To be a bit more philosophical, I would say I fear *Regret* the most.
When my time comes, I want to be able to look back on a life well lived.

Hey LadySkadi,

thank you for stopping bye.....

Yes, CLOWNS are scary, for sure....

WHY, tho?

OT

Because of Stephen King's IT!

Pennywise is the worst clown of all!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Fear of *Clowns* was kind of a joke (I mean, it's real) but I threw it out there for a bit of levity... The more important focus was meant to be the other half of the question, fear of a life un-lived or (fear of *Regret*) But, since you asked, I will try to turn my fear of *Clowns* into a philosophical point.

Who remembers that creepy Clown from the movie Poltergeist? or, the Clown from Stephen King's book IT? Not to mention those "real life" Clowns we encounter at the Circus when we were kids?

I think it has to do with the idea of Masks. The inability to really perceive or judge the "truth" of something. The Mask makes it impossible to rely on non-verbal ques, the perceptions that we rely on for trust... Couple that with the possibility that what you see is not what you may get and one finds themselves swimming in uncertainty. There is cognitive dissonance at work on the most basic levels. If you can't trust yourself and your perceptions about something, you certainly can't trust that "something" right?

interesting article re: clown phobia and popular culture

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
1. Going insane.

2. Total body paralysis

3. Shops closed - no milk !

OK, for one and two...makes sense...I am with you!

No: 3? Water should do...less carbs, too!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I've been forced to face every single fear I had (Loneliness, rejection, not able to put my talents to real use, being old and forgotten, and a few others), so I fear little any more, if anything at all.

BTW- this crap of having to face it does NOT make me superhuman. I'll be happy with the fact I survived and I'm coherent.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

We will laugh about them after a few decades of living....what will get us when we are past 60?

That kind of reminds me of something of Carlos Castaneda`s writings .... a body of work i poured over many moons ago when i actually bought into it . (theres some of that regret you spoke of ..)

Using Death As An Advisor

“Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm’s length behind us. Death is the only wise adviser that a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he’s about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, ‘I haven’t touched you yet.’” ~ Carlos Castaneda

Our petty concerns are disarmed when juxtaposed against the thought of drawing our last breath .
Now if you could live life with such a sense of immediacy .... oh what wondrous things we could accomplish .

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
My greatest fear? That's a good question and something I've thought about very often.

1. Losing my wife.
2. Losing my son.
3. Losing my brother.
4. Losing my mother.
5. Losing my freedom.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If you have ever seen Stargate SG-1 [6x06] Abyss then you would have a good understanding of my greatest fear. Being tortured to the edge of death over and over without being able to die is my greatest fear.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
My greatest fear is Burning Alive.

I don't know why but, I'm always thinking how bad it would be to Burn Alive, Slowly.

I'd hate to feel the pain and hear the sizzling of my skin.. See, there I go again. Thinkng about it..

Damn you OP..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Clowns....that and not knowing if something paranormal has really happened or if i'm just losing it

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Clowns....that and not knowing if something paranormal has really happened or if i'm just losing it

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That at the end I will look back on what I've accomplished in my life with a pit in my stomach. Seems a bit dark with some of the other responses, but the question was asked

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Having no control i.e waking up on a cold slab, drugged by nazi ss doctors doing horrible things and me feeling everything but not being able to do a thing about it or drowning trying to breave with no source of oxygen in an enclosed space just water and knowing you a going to die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join