It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing link between man and apes found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Missing link between man and apes found

www.telegraph.co.uk

The new species of hominid, the evolutionary branch of primates that includes humans, is to be revealed when the two-million-year-old skeleton of a child is unveiled this week.

Scientists believe the almost-complete fossilised skeleton belonged to a previously-unknown type of early human ancestor that may have been a intermediate stage as ape-men evolved into the first species of advanced humans, Homo habilis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is a pretty big find and story in the anthropological world of human evolution. Discovered in South Africa and being studied by a select group of experts, these fossilized skeletons represent a rare and truly unique find, not just because they are two million years old, but because they actually have found the entire skeleton and not just fragments.

A discovery this important hasn’t been made since the 1960’s regarding the evolution of humans and the missing link, and this one is shaping up to be even more important and leading some to declare the missing link has now been found.

It might also cause some of us to rethink just how long life has been present on the earth, and just how old humans themselves might eventually turn out to be.

Pretty interesting stuff from the world of science and academia.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I can't wait to see the reconstruction they're going to do of it.
S+F

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Professor Phillip Tobias, an eminent human anatomist and anthropologist at the university who was one of three experts to first identify Homo habilis as a new species of human in 1964, described the latest discovery as "wonderful" and "exciting".

Anthropologists and paleontologists have been aware of Homo habilis since 1964, but they have never found anything close to a complete specimen before now to base more detailed studies on.

This has the potential to end up rewriting the text books on human evolution based on their current findings and studies.

They plan to announce their initial findings and unveil the fossils publicly for the first time this Thursday in South Africa.

In this picture here we can see a recreation of what are 2,000,000 year old ancestors may have looked like, as well as the fact that even then, or primate predecessors were working on a military industrial complex and armaments.

Clearly we are related!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b7dd1d970cc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
S+F

You didn't have to wait long friend, I posted the first one here on the thread for you.

Remarkable features, decent grooming habits, a little lacking in over all fashion sense, but we must assume that in a temperate climate, and prevelant political attitudes at the time, that clothing was optional!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Professor Phillip Tobias, an eminent human anatomist and anthropologist at the university who was one of three experts to first identify Homo habilis as a new species of human in 1964, described the latest discovery as "wonderful" and "exciting".

Anthropologists and paleontologists have been aware of Homo habilis since 1964, but they have never found anything close to a complete specimen before now to base more detailed studies on.

This has the potential to end up rewriting the text books on human evolution based on their current findings and studies.

They plan to announce their initial findings and unveil the fossils publicly for the first time this Thursday in South Africa.

In this picture here we can see a recreation of what are 2,000,000 year old ancestors may have looked like, as well as the fact that even then, or primate predecessors were working on a military industrial complex and armaments.

Clearly we are related!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b7dd1d970cc.jpg[/atsimg]

I thought they discovered a predecessor to homo habilis, not a full skeleton of homo habilis..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

No they have discovered a full skeleton for the first time, and according to news reports, possibly several new skeletons.

In the past all they have found were fragments to base their work on, so this opens up a whole new area of real study for them.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

No they have discovered a full skeleton for the first time, and according to news reports, possibly several new skeletons.

In the past all they have found were fragments to base their work on, so this opens up a whole new area of real study for them.

Scientists believe the almost-complete fossilised skeleton belonged to a previously-unknown type of early human ancestor that may have been a intermediate stage as ape-men evolved into the first species of advanced humans, Homo habilis

Are you sure? I don't think they would consider homo habilis to be a missing link, it's more of the beginning of humanity, not the switch from ape to man.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

You could always read the article for additional clarification, and of course on Thursday they are bound to be releasing a lot more detailed information and pictures.

The Times UK has titled this as the Missing Link though.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You could always read the article for additional clarification, and of course on Thursday they are bound to be releasing a lot more detailed information and pictures.

The Times UK has titled this as the Missing Link though.

Thanks.

I have, it seems to be a link between Australopithicus and Homo Habilis, very very exciting news!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
We already got a 6-page thread going on here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow, another missing link supposedly 'found'? Yeah, right. There is no such thing.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Patriot
Wow, another missing link supposedly 'found'? Yeah, right. There is no such thing.

It's a link between two different ancestors of ours, not a missing link between man and ape, like most people think.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Nah, thats just the first few failed attempts the Annunaki made in attempting to create us.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by disfugured
Nah, thats just the first few failed attempts the Annunaki made in attempting to create us.

Do you have any evidence besides ancient texts?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The whole concept of "missing link" is somewhat misleading. Better to point out that ALL species are transitional species as every species constantly evolves.

This is a great find that will help shed more light on our ancestral path. We can link our past back much further back than this find, but it is still worth examination. Every new piece of data improves the picture of Evolution.

[edit on 4/4/10 by Terapin]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
S+F

You didn't have to wait long friend, I posted the first one here on the thread for you.

That is not a recreation of the new find which you posted. It is of Homo Habilis. They have not yet presented a recreation of the new find.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Well, Thurdsay should be an exciting day then, when they start to unveil all these things.

Thanks for posting that bit of information.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

So you mean to tell me that we came from apes huh, and that these scientists are going to prove it on Thursday? I can't wait to see it. I for one am insulted that someone would suggest that we came from an animal. I prefer to believe that I came from the dust of the ground.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e5ed9a0a723.jpg[/atsimg]

Homo dustasius erectus. That's more like it. Just kidding my friend, I cannot wait for the information on Thursday. This is an attempt at making light of the fact that the alternative theory is that we came from dust. Apes, dust. I don't know.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by jackflap]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I am sure it goes much deeper than that.

We might not know until the day we day where we really came from.

We might not even know then.

One this is for sure though and we are here!

For pretty much just the blink of an eye.

I wonder, who or what might be digging us up 2 million years from now.

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

join