It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake or some strange ground movement in Las Vegas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm in Vegas. My friend and I felt nothing. Go figure.

I've felt earthquakes here before. I specifically remember the one in '94 as I traveled there right after that and had to avoid freeways with earthquake damage. Didn't feel this one.

Whatever.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

In LA too. First time I ever notice an earthquake that moved in a circular motion that includes the Sylmar, the Northridge and most of the unnamed in between.

I would call this type of quake a reciprocator. A very strong yet gentle
back and forth swaying from beginning to end. No sudden jolt. Which
makes it highly unusual in imo. Cnn was all over this one. Not like Chile at all. So now they have arrived to So. Cal. the way the ring of fire looks on the USGS I was expecting this. Lets see if this is not the beginning of a
series as I suspect it will be.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Update: 5.1 aftershock recorded 1 mile from Imperial, California - USGS

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Disneyland security reports that all rides are shut down and some people are trapped in elevators after the quake.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Disneyland security reports that all rides are shut down and some people are trapped in elevators after the quake.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Asala you make a nice couple.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So a question for someone who knows more than me...

USGS site says that there have been 6 earthquakes of varying size in the last hour, but I'm looking to see how out of the norm this is. I just can't seem to find daily or weekly data.

Is this much action abnormal for such a small period of time, or are those other quakes considered aftershocks of the original quake?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Its been upgraded to a 7.2 right now,

Yes its normal to get quite a few after shocks after this and you will do for a good number of days,

Everyone in those areas need to make sure they are prepared for something bigger within 3/4 days as there is a percentage that a big one could then hit,

DO not let this fly over your head...

Watch Live: abclocal.go.com...

[edit on 4-4-2010 by asala]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm in Apple Valley too, and I felt it pretty good.

It was like a 2 part earthquake. I wasn't sure if we were having an earthquake at first, or if I was going crazy, then it started picking up momentum, and then I started to see things sway in the room.

I've lived in So Cal my whole life, and I honestly haven't felt one like this in quite a while, kind of a gentle circular motion.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Yes its normal to get quite a few after shocks after this and you will do for a good number of days,

Just a clarification...

Does the USGS site I'm looking at differentiate between aftershocks and isolated quakes, or can I consider the earthquake data in the area of the big one aftershock?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here's a link to the shake map.

Shake Map

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

DO not let this fly over your head
reply to post by asala

Excellent point Asala I will take that advice and pass it a long. I believe the way things are shaping up these days that would be a most responsible way to proceed as if this were a shot across the bow.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

This 6.9 quake in Calexico-CA demonstrates perfectly how Seismic shocks propegate in a 3D Environment contrary to their surroundings. Quakes simply dont ripple across the surface of the Earth, but expand in a "Bubble" outwards from the main source of Energy-aka the Fault Rupture.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I think they list all as quakes, but smaller ones in those affected areas will be Aftershocks,

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

If anything is cold at least be a practice for something in the future if this leads to nothing,

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Does the USGS site I'm looking at differentiate between aftershocks and isolated quakes, or can I consider the earthquake data in the area of the big one aftershock

Google earth traks the after shocks very well.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That 6.9 updated to 7.2!
*@&*(^

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hope everyone in the area is okay.

Major fault activity this year. Waiting for Yellowstone, then I can start the looting.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
called a friend whose in Vegas (on the strip) they didn't feel it, but there was/is lots of traffic and other distractions.

has there been any reports of structural damage anywhere?

prepare for a bunch of threads saying this was a FF attempt from HAARP

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Watch Live: abclocal.go.com...

[edit on 4-4-2010 by asala]

Thanks for the link...

I can only watch CNN at the mo and all they're talkin about is the ipad..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join