It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope's immunity could be challenged in Britain

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Never gonna happen...

I'm sure that the Vatican has some of the best and most dedicated lawyers and advisor's in the world... If there was even the slightest real possibility that the pope could be arrested when visiting England do you really think that visit would actually go ahead?

There would be a lot of background work, and probably agreements on all scenario's possible - no way the Catholic Church would allow the pope to be arrested - best anyone could hope for would be a few sacrificial known bad apple priests.

So really the whole idea is hypothetical at best.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Being a spiritual leader does not place him above international law. I may not be religious, but I've read the Bible. No where in it do I recall Jesus saying anything along the lines "Molest little children and keep it secret. Allow those who do so to stay in the church and continue doing it as long as they like. Protect them from man-made laws and move them to a different area so they aren't convicted."

I haven't seen any claims that the Pope himself is guilty of molesting children in the past, but allowing it to happen and allowing the guilty to continue doing it makes him just as responsible as the priests who actually did it. Given the choice between protecting children and protecting pedophile priests, I would think the choice would be obvious. Apparently it's not for the Pope and other leaders in the Catholic church.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

From what I've read, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the only reason the arrest warrant for the Israeli Prime Minister was canceled is because they weren't in Britain when it was issued. If British courts are willing to issue an arrest warrant for a Prime Minister of another country, why not a religious leader? If they were willing to risk the anger of the entire population of Israel (around 7 million if the numbers I've seen are correct) as well as supporters of Israel from around the world, then what's 1 billion Catholics? There aren't any figures for the number of people who support Israel and would be ticked off if their Prime Minister was arrested on a warrant for war crimes, but I'd imagine it's at least 1 billion worldwide.

But we're talking about the leader of an ancient institution. The same institution where the templars got their higher knowledge from and decided to split.

I personally think, it's only now TPTB, have the power to take out the Vatican or at least try.

All roads have led to Rome, they always have.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by mackey1224uk]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
*shrugs* It will still come to nothing... just a 1,600 year old points scoring match.

So personally I am not suprised by the news, especially since the Pope upped the ante by offering Anglican priests double their current salary to move over to catholicsm, I'm sure in making that offer he must have made a few people very unhappy..

Anyway this will just be one row in the long line of rows between Britian and Vatican going back to the 4th century when Pelagius accused Rome of being corrupt and not teaching the "original" message brought by Christ, accusations that got anyone supporting that view banned from going within a 100 miles of Rome

[edit on 6/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

No the Foreign Secretary intervened after the court issued the warrant. The Former Minister Canceled her trip after finding out about the warrant. Israeli officials complained about the warrant, the Government changed the law to stop this from happening again.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

And is that not being dealt with? If i remember correctly there was a court case on the exact issue, and they were convicted. That pedophile ring was smashed. Seems that any religious group have these problems, it is not just the catholic church. The Church of England had the same problems.

What really should be asked, how many other religions does this abuse happen in, which goes unreported.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Pope has no immunity

Plans to have the Pope arrested when he visits the UK will succeed because he is not a head of state, a solicitor has said.

As much as i dont like Richard Dawkins, he seems to have found a useful role. If he is going to try and bring down the Pope and RC church then he wont let go untilhe does.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Ahh, I see. The news articles I read didn't mention that. Thanks for the heads up.

reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

That's interesting because I was under the impression that the Vatican is a small city-state with it's own government. The Pope would be the head of that government, would he not?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Here the article which explains why he isnt classed as a 'head of state'

trueslant.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ops and another thing, thought I would also post. Those who want him arrested, would have to go to court twice. One in England an the other court in Scotland. Scottish Law Courts are independent from English courts. So they would need 2 warrants not just one.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth
im sorry but, What!

Forgetting the fact that he is the head of a sovereign 'country within a country'

he is the pope, the spiritual leader of the largest faith on planet earth, and successor to Saint Paul who was first given the job by Jesus himself,

Jesus who?????

The vaticians biggest secret is Jesus Christ, did not exsist.
Im not saying a man called Jesus, didnt exsist but the vatician made everything else up including Christmas and easter about Jesus Christ..

From scrolls of old, a man called Jesus said you can find God within yourself.
I truly believe all churchs and evil and they dont even know it

Just my thoughts... Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join