It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese cargo ship in restricted reef runs aground.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Leaking ship's owners face $1m fine
Chinese cargo ship carring 975 tones of heavy fuel oil & 65,000 tonnes of coal has run aground at the Douglas Shoul, 120km east of Rockhampton.

The 225m ocean liner was 15km outside of the shipping lane and in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. What was it doing out there, I ask?
An oil leak 100m wide and 3km long has been sighted and aircraft have been dropping chemical dispersants.

Cosco Group, China's biggest shipping company is looking at a fine up to $1,000,000 and the multi-million dollar clean up costs. I do believe this is pocket change for these people.

Could this be a deliberate attempt by the Chinese to cause more unrest with Australia after a Rio Tinto manager was convicted of bribery and stealing commercial secrets in China.
China court convicts Australia mining employees of stealing commercial secrets

[edit on 4/4/10 by spearhead]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by heffo7

oh no! don't let me steal your thunder!

is the how you get around?not actually contributing, just trying to burn people's work?

You see my thread isn't about the reef, the oil slick or the ship, its about why it was off course and is there a Chinese agenda.

[edit on 4/4/10 by spearhead]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yes they should be able to pay for the damage as the shipping company is owned by the Chinese government.
China Ocean Shipping (Group) Company, abbreviated as COSCO or the COSCO Group, is one of the largest liner shipping companies serving companies all over the world. It is a government owned company of the People's Republic of China.
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join