It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court: Will distress trump the First Amendment right to free speech?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Actually I'm surprisede this doesn't fall under hate speech. If you can be arrested for telling all black people to leave a Wal Mart because it's a hate crime, how can the same statutes not apply? Seems if you beat someone up for being gay it's a hate crime, why can this angle not be played?

Apparently, WBC can use an Old Testament variant of " The Twinkie Defense".

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Actually I'm surprisede this doesn't fall under hate speech. If you can be arrested for telling all black people to leave a Wal Mart because it's a hate crime, how can the same statutes not apply? Seems if you beat someone up for being gay it's a hate crime, why can this angle not be played?

the difference betwee the 2 situations is that what happened in walmart was a random, if egregious, piece of hate speech while the Phelps' do everything legally. They apply for permits for their protests and they stay within the legally designated distance from the services they are protesting. Are they despicable scumbags? oh hell yes. they are unfortunately smart enough to dot their I's and cross their T's and work within the system to their own advantage and even their despicable thoughts are protected by the first amendment. If it were a friend of mine or a member of my families funeral that they were protesting... I'd take my chances with a jury and an assault charge.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

I wish the warning sign was larger. I keep forgetting about not feeding. :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Has anyone protested their religious assembles? That'd be pretty funny to see how they deal with a few signs that say: "Fred Phelps is a fag enabler"

While I haven't seen any fags enabled by Fred Phelps, I have seen them counterprotest. A simple GIS can show you how witty and inoffensive THEIR protests are.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Yes, freedom of speech but aren't these people blatantly instigating potential violent acts caused by distressed and angry family members? Couldn't that flop under the "yelling fire fire in a crowded theatre" rule?

However if that's the case, that could be applied to almost everything people say to one another.

I don't like it but they must be able to say what they want.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
My apologies to SCcigarpig! Due to my ineptitude, my post appears to be addressing you. Not the case at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
To beat these aholes you have to bring a better game. You have to do covert surveillance on their protest and press them on their beliefs and what they are actually protesting here. The Golden Question...What's your point and agenda?

This will more than likely get a few of them in a frenzy and more than likely they'll say something they will wish they hadn't. Look at some of the Scientology bozzos that when pressed about what it is they actually believe in and their practices they go crazy and makes asses of themselves.

That's how you beat these guys. You turn their game on them and use their tactics against them.

"Westboro Baptist Church sacrifices babies at alter" on a nice big sign outside their church on public land. It may or may not be true and is relative in terms of content as to their protest placards.

Free Speech For All!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join