It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible: Which "version" do you read?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The history of the King James Bible should be proof enough for most people that it is the inspired Word of God. Mankind, however, has decided that "he" didn't like what the original Scriptures say, or imply, so "he" began removing words, adding words, even deleting entire verses and chapters - all in the name of making it "easier" for people to read.

You'll find that most in society have accepted these "mankind rewritten" books, pastors are even using them in our churches - claiming that the original Scriptures are written in such confusing language, and it's difficult to understand.

It should also be noted that the King James Bible - Authorized 1611 Bible, is the only Bible out there that is not copyrighted.

The question is, who is deciding what the new "meaning" should be?

Answer: satan (via mankind).

If you are of the belief that as long as it says "Holy Bible" somewhere in the book, that you are holding an authorized and accurate Book of Holy Scriptures, you might want to take a few minutes and understand just what you are reading.

There are many websites online that show us how man has corrupted the original Scriptures - I'll only provide links for a few - if you want to research further, you won't have any trouble locating information.

The best website I've found so far on this subject is THIS one. It gives more information about the changes that man has made over the years, as well as the history our The Bible. Their
home page is chock full (and I mean CHOCK FULL) of links and information on a wide range of Biblical documents and research - I highly recommend any Christian ,or non believer, to spend some time reading through some of it.

Now....... on to the facts........

There is no telling how many different "versions" of books that claim to be the "Bible" on our bookshelves today. All of them have used the Original Authorized 1611 King James Bible as their "starting point" before they made their changes.

According to www.av1611.org, the 7 most popular "versions" are:

NI New International Version
NAS New American Standard Version
NKJ New King James Version
RS Revised Standard Version
NRS New Revised Standard Version
LB The Living Bible
NC New Century Version

Below are but just a few of the many, many changes that
have been made, by man, using the King James Bible.

King James Bible : Matt. 1:25
REMOVED: "Firstborn"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible : Matt. 6:33
REMOVED "of God"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Matt. 12:47
REMOVED ENTIRE VERSE
NI, RS, NRS,

King James Bible: Matt. 13:51
REMOVED "Lord"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Matt. 16:20
REMOVED "Jesus"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Matt. 20:16
REMOVED "for many be called but few chosen"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Mark 7:16
REMOVED ENTIRE VERSE
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Mark 9:44
REMOVED ENTIRE VERSE (about hell)
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Mark 9:46
REMOVED ENTIRE VERSE (about hell)
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Luke 4:41
REMOVED "Christ"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Luke 11:2
REMOVED 15 WORDS from Lords Prayer
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Luke 21:8
CHANGED "I am Christ" to "I am He, the One"
NI, NAS, NKJ, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Luke 24:6
REMOVED "He is not here, but is risen"
RS, NRS

King James Bible: John 14:2
CHANGED "mansions" to "rooms", "dwelling places"

King James Bible: Acts 8:37
REMOVED ENTIRE VERSE (major salvation verse)
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Acts 17:29
CHG Godhead TO Divine Nature , divine being

King James Bible: Romans 1:3
REMOVED "Jesus Christ our Lord"
NI, NAS, RS, NRS

King James Bible: I Cor. 5:4
REMOVED "Christ" (TWICE)
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, LB, NC

King James Bible: Rev. 1:11
REMOVED "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last.."
NI, NAS, RS, NRS, NC

You can find the full list HERE

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I read the one where Jesus rips the nails out of his hands and feet, jumps down from the cross, takes the spear out of Longinus' hands screaming 'ffffrrrreeeeeddddddooooommmmmm!' before killing him and a whole legion of Romans before meeting up with the rest of his Apostles who are heavily armed due to them intercepting a Roman sword shipment: Christ's temporary crucifixion was merely a decoy distraction for the sword heist.

Jesus McChrist and the rest of his followers then drive out all the evil Jews into the desert where they're all killed by plagues and biblical wasps and Ancient Egyptians who have similarly been oppressed by the Jews and were waiting around for their revenge.

The Son of God doesn't manage to kill all the Romans though - who all have a mixture of Dick Van Dyke and upper-class English accents - and he goes into hiding and has some ginger children (who you see briefly in tartan swaddling clothes) before sailing away in a heavily armoured fishing vessel and founding both Australia and the United States of America as the port explodes behind them due to them dropping a cigarette lighter onto a trail of gasoline which ignites some oil barrels.

I'm not sure where my bible's from or when it was made but on the frontispiece it says 'printed by Mel Gibson Press'.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I read the one where Jesus rips the nails out of his hands and feet, jumps down from the cross, takes the spear out of Longinus' hands screaming 'ffffrrrreeeeeddddddooooommmmmm!' before killing him and a whole legion of Romans before meeting up with the rest of his Apostles who are heavily armed due to them intercepting a Roman sword shipment: Christ's temporary crucifixion was merely a decoy distraction for the sword heist.

Jesus McChrist and the rest of his followers then drive out all the evil Jews into the desert where they're all killed by plagues and biblical wasps and Ancient Egyptians who have similarly been oppressed by the Jews and were waiting around for their revenge.

The Son of God doesn't manage to kill all the Romans though - who all have a mixture of Dick Van Dyke and upper-class English accents - and he goes into hiding and has some ginger children (who you see briefly in tartan swaddling clothes) before sailing away in a heavily armoured fishing vessel and founding both Australia and the United States of America as the port explodes behind them due to them dropping a cigarette lighter onto a trail of gasoline which ignites some oil barrels.

I'm not sure where my bible's from or when it was made but on the frontispiece it says 'printed by Mel Gibson Press'.

Alrighty then -

I think it's safe to say that you have one of the infamous "altered" Bibles.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomorecruelty
The history of the King James Bible should be proof enough for most people that it is the inspired Word of God.

Why should it be? How is it proof of the word of god? Does god use particular sentence structures that man could not emulate? How could one tell the difference between words written by god and words written by man?

Do we have a control sample of gods musings to which all other writings can be compared against? By what empirical method do we certify authenticity? What does gods 'hand' look like?

IRM

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

'Cor Blimey Guvn'a.... That sounds like a right 'ole laugh that does.

Gawd bless yor 'art

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Alrighty then -

I think it's safe to say that you have one of the infamous "altered" Bibles.

Genuine thanks for taking that in the spirit it was meant. My post wasn't actually meant to be as off-topic as it might first appear as all 'retellings' have some kind of agenda behind them and Gibson's understanding and retelling of history generally is typical of this mentality. I'm fairly sure that if he thought he could have got away with it, his Christ film would have been more like my post that the film he did make.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
How does the history of the King James Version prove it was the work of god? If god gaves us free will then the King had the free will to make sure the bible fit his agenda. Wasn't the KJV made about 1600 years AFTER jesus was crucified? If there ever was a 'right' version of the bible I think it would of been made before the Romans changed it to fit their agenda in about 300 A.D.
They took out many books, yes entire books not just a 'jesus', 'lord', 'alpha and omega' here and there or one or two verses...
Books I tell you!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

The history of the King James Bible should be proof enough for most people that it is the inspired Word of God.

Why should it be? How is it proof of the word of god? Does god use particular sentence structures that man could not emulate? How could one tell the difference between words written by god and words written by man?

Do we have a control sample of gods musings to which all other writings can be compared against? By what empirical method do we certify authenticity? What does gods 'hand' look like?

IRM

The way I believe is that God works with, and through, each of us individually - for example, I can open the Bible, and read something, and get a certain meaning out of it ...... and then you could read the same verse and get a different meaning. Depending on what work God is trying to do in, or with, your life.

People can scoff at that Bible but I'm telling you, it's a very "supernatural" piece of literary work.

God will allow a person to understand it if they are truly and sincerely seeking to understand it.

But if a person is just flipping through it to find a verse or something that they can use to try to debunk, I believe He won't allow them to gain any perspective.

It says in the Bible that God will not be mocked - I would assume it would mean people doing this too, I'm not sure.

Personal experience, back in the day when I used to avoid the Bible, the times I would try to read it - I couldn't understand it - at all. Too many "begats" and "begots" etc to comprehend.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

You can read up on the history of the Bible at any of these links - your pick.

The Bible, for those that haven't read it, has numerous things, events and prophecies that can be proved by either archaeology or history/historical documents.

The Dead Sea Scrolls is an excellent place to start if you want to research.

With that said, the Bible tells us that in the end days, as I believe we are now in, Jesus will be showing us more and more signs - of His return, as well as His existence.

Meaning, if you have any doubts right now, don't worry - there are signs that will be coming.

I think He does allow man to "discover" certain things - in His time, as He sees fit. I.e. The Dead Sea Scrolls, artifacts, fossils, tombs, etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

What a ripping good read! Thank you.

You reminded me of this:
funnyexam.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

But since I have started trying to live a more Godly life, like we are instructed, it's strange but I found I can now read it and see things that before only confused me.

Please answer honestly.

Does your "Godly" life style fill you with pride? Do you now feel superior to others and able to judge them.

You know what the Bible says about pride.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I can show you one example - there are more but for this thread, I'll toss this one out there -

The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah - the Bible tells us where the cities were located, and what took place that destroyed both Sodom and Gomorrah.

The Bible tells us that the two cities were destroyed by fire and brimstone that rained down from the sky.

If you watch the video, you'll see that the remains are exactly where the Bible says, and the physical remains have been proved to be exactly what the Bible says was used to destroy both cities.

They even had a research / chemical scientist analyze the 'round pebbles' that had, at one time, penetrated the terrain of these two cities. And yep, they found it to be over 95% sulfur - i.e. brimstone.

That video, in my opinion, is eye opening - or should be - for anyone trying to find hard "proof" that Bible is accurate in what It says.

Video Link

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

But since I have started trying to live a more Godly life, like we are instructed, it's strange but I found I can now read it and see things that before only confused me.

Please answer honestly.

Does your "Godly" life style fill you with pride? Do you now feel superior to others and able to judge them.

You know what the Bible says about pride.

On the contrary, I struggle every day with my past - the things I chose to engage myself in. Proud? Not by a long shot.

Nowadays I try to think my choices out before making a decision - be it bank deposits, lying, stealing, adultery, etc.

Do I still sin? Yep, every day - I'm human, like we all are.

Maybe you are thinking that Christians feel they are "proud" and "perfect" or more perfect than non Christians?
You shouldn't feel that way - because once you make a stand for God, and try to change your life, that is when satan begins an all out war on you.

Non believers satan will not bother - why should he - they already don't believe in God.

But he does, and will, bother anyone choosing to follow God.

Ask me - I know.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

I read The X-Rated Bible.... because it focuses on the Juicy bits.

X-Rated Bible

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Respectively, I've read the Bible and much on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I still don't see the word of god as you define it. That claim is highly tenuous and subjective at best. I honestly don't think you have answered my straight forward questions.

IRM

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i think a lot of people just dont get what the bible's purpose was. its more like a guideline really. it keeps you from stepping on your fellow humans' toes and gives you insight into the esoteric psycology of being all powerfull. this power is not readily aparent but with a little awareness and a lot of kindness you can coax it out of its shell and share it with everyone

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I read The X-Rated Bible.... because it focuses on the Juicy bits.

X-Rated Bible

lol I refuse to place any credibility into someone with the nick of
"blupblup".

And no, I'm not touching that link.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

lol I refuse to place any credibility into someone with the nick of
"blupblup".

How Christian of you.... Judgemental.

Don't judge a book by It's cover

And no, I'm not touching that link.

I wouldn't if i were you

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing, you should perhaps learn it sometime.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I've always found it interesting, this claim of being dictated by God to man...when the authors are clearly named...(i.e. Luke, Job, John, etc., etc.)

Sure, there are Revelation (John), Genesis, etc., but there are also a lot of books LEFT OUT of the official Bible...some of which were written by folks who were right there with the Apostles....(such as Thomas)...

So, the idea of the REAL Bible is somewhat of a joke. All versions are somewhat censored, depending on what different sects held to be heretical at the time, but most notably, what was deemed canon during the Council of Nicea....

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Oh, I think the King James version is the one to go for every time. It has that authentic eschatologichal thunder. No lover of literature could possibly be seduced away from it by any other. And no writer worth his or her salt quotes from any other.

Besides, the King James version has golden haemorrhoids in it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join