It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Cold and Lonely Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hi Eveyone, I want to talk a little about a topic that interests me greatly Extra Terrestrial Life and more importantly intelligent life and where my current opinion lies on the subject.

I know that there are many threads and discussions that will overlap with this one and that is great! if you have any resources that will add to this discussion please link or refer to them.

Ok this will be simple and I am not an expert so enlighten me if you can.

Currently we have bee trying to look for ET life in using some different techniques mainly radio and optical as in the SETI project. There are some major points as to the effectiveness of these methods. It is unlikely that ET life would have evolved along a similar path as we did and therefore would not have the same sense organs.

SETI Debate

So sending or receiving signals is out of the picture.

Ok are they visiting us,have they or will they? now I know from being on ATS all the usual answers to this but in my opinion probably not.

What about humans developing interstellar travel? never say never but the problems involved are huge and the distances mind boggling. Now no one can see the future but this leads me onto the title of this thread "Our Cold and Lonely Universe".

Interstelar Travel

We will never make contact with ET life, We will probably not become an interstellar civilisation of the capacity to make contact likely.

Machines will probably be a good choice be to explore the galaxy first and the convergence of man and machine might be a way around this problem.

Also planet hunting will help pinpoint planets capable of supporting life and therefore act as a focus for any efforts we make.

I also know about the different types or levels of civilisations but I think that this is just speculation even if it is from one of the greatest minds on earth Michio Kaku.

I mean I could say " hmmm a type 5 civilisation would have reached total awareness and be able to travel to any point in space and or time by the power of thought alone" its a nice thought but is it probable or likley?

If we are going to be isolated then I think this will have a profound effect on our civilisation. And maybe that is a phase we have to go through. Sort out our planet and ourselves first then worry about other life.

I hope that my opinion is wrong but it leave a huge void, to feel we are alone in the universe.

Are we alone

Feel free to contribute your thoughts and feelings.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by bharata]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I like to think about it this way, maybe we are in a cold and lonely galaxy, but to say universe, does not make any sense. There might be one intelligent civilization per galaxy (the size of the Milky Way, or larger). We just found out that we are missing over 90% of the universe, so we really do not know what’s out there. To say the universe is lonely seems like such an understatement. We might be the only civilization in our galaxy, but for the whole universe is lonely is not logical, because we can’t even see exoplanets in galaxies besides our own. We have seen an exoplanet in the Andromeda galaxy, but we can’t even see mostly beyond our own because of our current technology. There could be endless different planets out there.

I have a link poste here to one of my threads

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It talks about Inorganic life and how it might exist in the universe naturally. There is a lot of things we dont know about the universe.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I read through your post and it is interesting indeed

I do not mean that the universe is devoid of life but imagine if you were in the middle of desert and that every 200km in every direction there was another person. There is an oasis there with fruit so you can survive fine but you try and travel to explore and the chances of you reaching another person is remote and no matter how loud you shout you will not be able to reach anyone else. Now you exist so it is very probable that there are others out there but does it make you feel any less lonesome?

Now maybe there are methods of communication out there or new technologies that would lead to a breakthrough but physics keeps telling us that it is unlikely or improbable that x, y and z methods would work or be practical.
Weird ways of searching for ETs

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I personaly believe the universe is teaming with life. If you think about the diversity just on this planet. You cant help but wonder what strange creatures, evolution has thrown up else where.

I agree it is unlikely that other life would have evolved exactly the same as we have. Theres only so many different materials and ellements etc through out the universe. So im hoping that through experimentation, some other life would have developed similar technologys to us.

Really the only thing holding us back is an energy source thats powerful enough to achieve speeds, that would allow us to explore the galaxy in reasonable times. I think dark matter energy has potential, As long as we dont wipe ourselves out making bombs.

So technology will eventually catch up. Maybe the hadron collider will get us closer. I think once people find out we're not alone. They may develop a new respect for our planet and start looking after it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The question is if we really know the size of the universe.

Red shift, the current method of measuring distance, has so many problems & irregularities, that it is entirely possible that we have it wrong.

But whatever the case may be, it's quite obvious that radio waves & sub luminal travel will get us nowhere & if we are to make contact these hurdles must be overcome.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Wait till you die, am sure theres more to it. Afterall your alive and thats alot to ask yourself about, How did universe and life come from nothing?

So am not sure about your title

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well our little neck of the woods is quite beautiful and teeming with life and we still have quite a way to go. The universe is magnificent and constantly reminds us that when we think we know it all we don't.

I know you say to wait and see what happens when I die but I am impatient.

I want to see it all now

The wonders waiting to be discovered.

The thread might see a little pessimistic but there is alway hope especially when you have a little look.

new topics

top topics

join