It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Guilt Awareness Day

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

Good, you shouldn't feel guilty. In fact, that's not the point of diversity days unlike the author of this article would like you to think. The point of diversity days is to let everyone learn more about each others backgrounds.

This authors article is effective because she is convincing everyone that that diversity day is actually "White Guilt Awareness Day". That's not what it is about; however, this is an effective yet scewed piece of writing.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
We have organizations and standards in this country that allow less qualified people into positions that have more qualified people lined up.

Based on race.

This is a fact.

Is it racist?

Is the "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" racist?

What is it's purpose? It seems that it's purpose is to advance a certain race.

Where is the "National Association for the Advancement of White People"??

WHY DOESN'T THIS ORGANIZATION EXIST??? REALLY, ASK YOURSELF WHY.

WHY ARE THEIR NO WHITE QUOTAS FOR JOBS?

BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DON'T NEED THE QUOTAS, LIKE BLACK PEOPLE APPARENTLY NEED.

THIS IS A FACT. BLACK PEOPLE NEED QUOTAS. IF THEY DIDN'T NEED QUOTAS, ORGANIZATIONS LIKE THE NAACP WOULD NOT EXIST.

While we're at it, let's create a "National Association for the Advancement of Retarded People"

So that somebody with downs-syndrome can have an executive job that 50 black men are lined up for.

SO WHY DOESN'T THIS ORGANIZATION EXIST??? ASK YOURSELF WHY.

Oh, wait, that's still unfair.

We need to create a "National Association for the Advancement of Dead People"

Let's just give dead people all of our jobs.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

There is some truth to this article. White guilt is, indeed, being taught at certain college campuses as a matter of policy. I had to take a class about it once. We watched a whole video designed to make white men feel guilty for being what they are. I also know that "reverse racism" is more or less a true phenomenon, as I was told rather harshly that I was not allowed to enter a "multicultural lounge" to eat lunch with my black roommate (he was as confused about it as I was), because I'm a white male.

But you have to make sure you read the whole article. It goes on to say:

Liberals want to make whites -- men especially -- feel guilty for being white, and to feel responsible for centuries of oppressing minorities.

There, now the author has gone ahead and applied these specific feelings to the entire left wing, which of course is just as bad as the assumption that all white males are racist based on the fact that some are, which is ironically the very subject of the article. If the writer of this article had any liberal friends, they would know that this is a generalization and is usually false. It's safe to say that liberals feel that minorities are underprivelaged. But this is not the same as saying that you should feel guilty for having white skin. Hell, more liberals ARE white than any other color.

Unfortunately, it's the loudest and most obnoxious people that are usually used to symbolize a social group. This is like saying all conservatives have the same opinions as Glenn Beck. HA! Far from it.

Do you really want to stop the ignorance that causes people to accuse the entire white male population? Then stop perpetuating the SAME ignorance by accusing the entire left wing.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

I'm black.

If we are both competing for a job, the only reason I am going to get that job is because I am more qualified than you. Want to know why? Because I have worked for and will work for everything I have, regardless of my skin color.

At the end of the day, when I have your job; your just going to claim reverse racism.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

These are real problems which minorities face.

1. Having the police follow you home because they think you are in the wrong neighborhood
2. Wondering if a relationship is going to last because you’re not sure that your significant others parents are going to accept you
3. Worrying about how teachers or other students are going to treat your children in school because they don’t look like everybody else

First of all, not all minorities face these problems. Second of all, plenty of people in the majority face all of these problems, although #1 is far more rare, but many minorities don't have this problem.

A problem a great many people of the majority and other minorities face, is making a wrong turn into the wrong neighborhood, and fearing getting killed or rob because of perceived racial injustice taught by left wing views.

This article linked to by the op hits the situation dead on IMO.

There is no such thing as white male privilege. It is a fabrication created by the left to justify discriminatory policies.

Here are some that the majority have to deal with regularly that minorities do not deal with.

1. People assume everything you have and have done is a result of your privileged status.

2. People automatically assuming that your ancestors did horrible things to other people, and are guilty of doing things that no one else has done.

3. Just because of the color of your skin it is assumed that you somehow automatically represent authority.

So, lets go over some more.

I have yet to see anybody come up with a legitimate white male privilege, You listed problems that some minorities have to deal with, none of which are white male privileges.

I see this as an important topic to our current society, and as an active effort to continue to create division among the working class by liberal elitists.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
How do any of you know why you were denied a scholarship? Did they flat out send you a letter saying, "Sorry, you're white. Acceptance denied!" Can you just not accept that maybe, just maybe there was someone better than you. I doubt it. Exactly why you should be feeling guilty, you're spreading lies to further your own agenda. While I don't agree with feeling guilty for anything our ancestors did, I definitely think it's necessary to accept those wrong doings and to make sure they never happen again if you are truly for correcting your races past injustices. White people do have it better! It's fact! Why is that instead of accepting it as truth, you seek to make others feel "sorry" for you guys. No one is going to feel sorry for you guys because the truth is there. Just look at employment in this country and average wages according to race! White's are on top! Geesh people, seriously just accept it. Stop looking for excuses to why you didn't get in to a certain school or get a certain job. You guys sound worse than the black guy who is always claiming racism. I think you guys just don't really like that in a globalized society, the white race can't really oppress others anymore. Try and attack me. I really don't care. I see things for what they are and you guys are crying wolf.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki

I'm black.

If we are both competing for a job, the only reason I am going to get that job is because I am more qualified than you. Want to know why? Because I have worked for and will work for everything I have, regardless of my skin color.

At the end of the day, when I have your job; your just going to claim reverse racism.

When I used to live in a country that was 80% black and had racial quotas, and organizations for advancing white people, I used to tell myself that I was hired merely for my qualification too.

Thank god for the NAAWP.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
How do any of you know why you were denied a scholarship? Did they flat out send you a letter saying, "Sorry, you're white. Acceptance denied!" Can you just not accept that maybe, just maybe there was someone better than you. I doubt it. Exactly why you should be feeling guilty, you're spreading lies to further your own agenda. While I don't agree with feeling guilty for anything our ancestors did, I definitely think it's necessary to accept those wrong doings and to make sure they never happen again if you are truly for correcting your races past injustices. White people do have it better! It's fact! Why is that instead of accepting it as truth, you seek to make others feel "sorry" for you guys. No one is going to feel sorry for you guys because the truth is there. Just look at employment in this country and average wages according to race! White's are on top! Geesh people, seriously just accept it. Stop looking for excuses to why you didn't get in to a certain school or get a certain job. You guys sound worse than the black guy who is always claiming racism. I think you guys just don't really like that in a globalized society, the white race can't really oppress others anymore. Try and attack me. I really don't care. I see things for what they are and you guys are crying wolf.

Personally, I worked for the IT department of a major Florida College.

They DID have a black quota.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
You guys sound worse than the black guy who is always claiming racism.

Lol. I saw that guy on a bus once. He was mad because the bus filled up and nobody would sit next to him. Of course, he forgot to mention the real reason nobody would sit next to him was because nobody COULD sit next to him, because he had his backpack on the seat.

The best way to move forward on racism in this country is to stop turning every little thing into some sort of mass injustice, and be calm and rational about it instead. So, my fellow ATS'ers, for once let's try to keep the tempers down a little.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Wow, that's some very prejudicial stuff you are writing.

While I don't agree with feeling guilty for anything our ancestors did, I definitely think it's necessary to accept those wrong doings and to make sure they never happen again if you are truly for correcting your races past injustices.

Do you really think the ancestors of all white people owned slaves and slaughtered tribes of Native Americans, and were far more evil than anyone else's ancestors, so we should feel guilty.

White people do have it better! It's fact!

You really think that all white people have it better than all minorities?

Could it be that most people who do have things better, have it better because they worked harder, and made better choices?

These claims you are making are completely ridiculous.

I think you guys just don't really like that in a globalized society, the white race can't really oppress others anymore.

Wow, really, because the numbers put up at the last white race meeting say we can.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

First of all, not all minorities face these problems. Second of all, plenty of people in the majority face all of these problems, although #1 is far more rare, but many minorities don't have this problem.

You are correct. I was simply stating some of the problems which I face. Other minorities, in different situations face other problems which are often time much worse. I had the privilege of growing up in neighborhoods where I don't need to worry about must safety (anymore than the average person). I had the privilege of going to some of the best schools in my district. I thank my mother for making sure all of this was possible.

A problem a great many people of the majority and other minorities face, is making a wrong turn into the wrong neighborhood, and fearing getting killed or rob because of perceived racial injustice taught by left wing views.

Your going to have to explain to me how this is caused due to left wing views. I'm just not making the same connection.

There is no such thing as white male privilege. It is a fabrication created by the left to justify discriminatory policies.

You could explain it in that way. Technically, white males are not privileged. However, if you substitute "privileged" with, not having to deal with the disadvantages which females and minorities face then we are back in the same boat.

Here are some that the majority have to deal with regularly that minorities do not deal with.

1. People assume everything you have and have done is a result of your privileged status.

2. People automatically assuming that your ancestors did horrible things to other people, and are guilty of doing things that no one else has done.

3. Just because of the color of your skin it is assumed that you somehow automatically represent authority.

What about everybody assuming that if your a minority, you got into college or got the job due to affirmative action? Educated people know that slave owners were the minority of the population. White people in a low income status are in a similar situation to minorities in a low income statues. I have never associated white skin with positions of authority. I have also not met any minorities who have; maybe I talk to the wrong ones?

So, lets go over some more.

I have yet to see anybody come up with a legitimate white male privilege, You listed problems that some minorities have to deal with, none of which are white male privileges.

I went over this already, up above.

I see this as an important topic to our current society, and as an active effort to continue to create division among the working class by liberal elitists.

I see this as an important topic as well. I believe it is worthy of a civil discussion.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Styki]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You can tell yourself whatever you want. Just like when you don't get a job, you tell yourself that it was due to affirmative action.

Did I just sink that low? Yes, I did. I need to go take a shower to wash off the dirt.

Like I said, I work hard to get where I want to be. I have never applied for a African American scholarship because I know that they were not intended for my situation. They were intended for people who have faced the disadvantages that I have not.

I served in the military, which has paid for my school. I have worked to get everything I have.

What have you done to get what you have? Honest question.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Well, I got to get going, but I will address this one.

I have never associated white skin with positions of authority. I have also not met any minorities who have; maybe I talk to the wrong ones?

You never walked up to a group of minorities who suddenly stop talking, to have one of them say, "it's all right, he's cool?" I have experienced this situation many times in my life. Of course I have always been the rebel, which gives me that status.

I am white, but grew up in quite a different situation from you. That may very well be why you see things from a very different perspective than I do.

All groups have their own unique problems, including white males, and your whole position is based on your belief that the problems of white males are less than the problems of women and minorities, and I completely disagree. To be honest, and no intention of offending, I think you position is biased, and not realistically based on the realities that we live in.

There are those who are privileged, but I say that has nothing to do with race, and mostly to do with what position you were born into, and your willingness to conform to the system.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow that is the biggest load of # I read, first of all Im white but was not born in the usa so cant really say abouth the whole slavery thing. One thing I know for a fact is I sure as hell am not privileged by being white if I dont work I dont eat if I dont eat I die period, I understand that there are favoritizems in all things but it's just birds of a feather flook together tipe of thing. Everyone hanges out with who makes them feal comfortable thats all.

As for making people guilty for slavery over another peoples, welcome to the human race all our ancestor's were slaves to something or someone in the past, whites used to have white slaves and black peoples used to sell there own peoples for profit. Infact the british that first came to this country were indentured slaves, thats why they crossed the sea to get out of being a indentured slave. In the land were I was born eastern europe in the past they used to have wars every couple of years since way before roman times and the loser's were slaves.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
my .02...the people that generally even give this stuff more than 5 minutes of serious thought are generally not that interacially exposed from my experience. It's not a fault or something to be ashamed of either, just that it seems no matter what side of any line you are on, or what your beliefs are about things such as this, any investment of emotions and time generally means that you interact with a single race the majority of your life. Those that know what I'm talking about will agree, those that don't it is fine. The great thing about opinions is that they are just that.

And as for the "agenda" to make white people feel guilty....ludicrous

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ok... I am white.
Ok... I am male.
But I am from freaking Eastern Europe - from Latvia...
I am not very privileged. I am as privileged as Easter European EU citizen can be.
Well let me check... my ancestors had 600 year slavery under German rule.
well let me check... my ancestors was slaughtered and pushed into slavery by Germans, Poles, Russians and Swedes for almost thousand years. And now my country is in deep # financially.
I am pretty poor... for a white male... and geez get over you all people of colors... we all have been slaves for some time... even white people - yeah white people were slaves. Just get over it and stand up for yourself! I do not feel privileged.
What do you want a freaking utopia? Not gonna happen - people are too evil. So get #ing over your #ing history and fight for your life.

p.s. - forgive me for my language.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I can understand that. Throughout my life I have been in many different situations. Earlier, I said I was in the military. I was enlisted military so I have been a few places (no offense to any officer types).

Anyway, I can certainly understand that situation. I was attempting to respond to what I could assume the posters reference point was. There are some places where the only white people that stop by are the police (for the most part). The details change with each situation.

Anyway, I will eat my words in this case. That is certainly a valid viewpoint which I overlooked.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Styki]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

This article had a US author. It's viewpoints are basically limited to the US.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Well that's your problem then not my mine. I was just taking this problem globally. But I guess USA does not belong to "global" stuff.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well isn't that the kind of thread perfectly made for a flaming war? It’s working well already.

Guilt is very personal deep sentiment, nobody can really "get you to feel" guilty, it has to be genuine.

The article just goes to show that racism isn't an infallible tool to get ahead in life. Being racist towards others and the feeling of superiority is not a privilege to some particular race or skin color. Just a tool of evil perfectly designed for disaster.(Just using religious figuratives btw)!

So yeah, white supremacists are just pawns who are gonna have to realize that they've been punked
, just like any other supremacist groups in past civilizations no matter what their races or skin colors were. So will be the fate of black or any other supremacists pawns.

Now does it always have to be a pathetic cyclical warfare? No!

Humanity should be able to get beyond, at least, this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join