It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is theft ever justified?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

A stolen bike isn't fun. Especially out here. Bikes have the price of a small car if you wnt a quality bike.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

he was a nice boss although a thief himself but I will look back and think of all those free sausage rolls and cakes as a gift

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by restless genius

Yeah always blame someone else.

No seriously. He was your boss. He did not got to be boss by accident.
He was probably allowed to do so. Maybe even company policy.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
Is it ever justified? Yes.

Just how violence can be justified.
Or lying.

I work in a food place, and the example you given has occurred in our work force. What normally happens is if someone goes on break they are allowed to eat a meal, but you can ASK a manager if you can save the employee meal to take home.

Since taking the items home would be out of norm, it makes sense to ask those who supply it if you wish to do otherwise with it.

You sound like a human with morals and ethics.

It's getting more rare each day though. People feeling that it's okay to take more than one newspaper out of a newspaper box, or if a cashier gives them too much money in a fast food drivethru, they keep it instead of giving it back.

I had to argue with my bank one day - the woman was new, and I was making a payroll check deposit - she kept trying to give me back a hundred dollars - I had to argue with her until she realized that my deposit slip was for the full amount, and I didn't want any money returned.

I finally got her to look at the receipt she had printed me out - which showed that she had deposited the full amount of my check - she finally, still looking confused, said "Oh, okay, I'm sorry".

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Not taking money from a bank ?
You do know they are the biggest criminals around do you ?

If they get broke the state will ask another bank to print some more so they can help.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Not taking money from a bank ?
You do know they are the biggest criminals around do you ?

If they get broke the state will ask another bank to print some more so they can help.

Oh, trust me, I know I could have tried to justify keeping it - but that lady was a new employee - and that would have probably caused her problems with her supervisor.

And keeping it would have most certainly caused me to lose sleep - do the banks deserve it? Probably.

Does that justify my keeping it? No.

I try to have a clear head when I lay down at night.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Believe it or not but I would probably have done the same.
It's not mine it wouldn't feel right.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Believe it or not but I would probably have done the same.
It's not mine it wouldn't feel right.

It's always good to try to do the right thing - alot of people have
that "screw them before they screw you" mentality but if you
think about it..... if you choose to do wrong too, you are no
better than they are.

And I absolutely refuse to conform to the world's ideal of
"normalcy". I'll fight it every step of the way to my grave.

Or the guillotine.

ACKKK !

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I'm have to much of narciscist character to offer my beautheful well formed neck.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Well, two points. One, it makes no difference who "considers" things immoral, if you want to go the whole "believing in morality" route. If one is a believer in morality, something must be either right or wrong, but not considered.
Second, no I would not "consider" that to be theft because I would have asked first. If it's actually truly "right" to take something, then people will agree that you are indeed allowed to take it.
"Stealing" does not mean theft, technically. That word just means sneaking. It's not stealing if you do it in the open, so that's what I would do. "Hey, I'm takin' these, alright?" "O.K." Case closed. If you have to do it in secret, you must know that someone doesn't want you to do it.
Also the entire concept of theft relies on the tenuous concept of personal property as an assumption. Particularly, how a person could claim to own something whose existence predates their own can be a head scratcher.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

True, and a very good point there, Sir. Since in more "civilized" countries money is not backed up by anything and instead is simply printed, it can't really be stolen. At least not from a bank or government. Except for the paper. Rob a bank, and the only thing your new-found riches really cost anyone is the cost of the paper. And if you do it digitally, not even that.
However, what will it do to YOU, getting free money into your account, or accepting possession of something which you think you should have earned, but know you did not? Questions like these would be more important to me. A human being is one thing, but can something which doesn't even exist in concrete matter (group, corporation, state) be the owner of anything?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm have to much of narciscist character to offer my beautheful well formed neck.

LOL - well they say decapitation is instant and painless.

It would hurt me to even watch someone being beheaded.

Hurts me to even think about it - to be honest.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by IceOwl

Well, two points. One, it makes no difference who "considers" things immoral, if you want to go the whole "believing in morality" route. If one is a believer in morality, something must be either right or wrong, but not considered.
Second, no I would not "consider" that to be theft because I would have asked first. If it's actually truly "right" to take something, then people will agree that you are indeed allowed to take it.
"Stealing" does not mean theft, technically. That word just means sneaking. It's not stealing if you do it in the open, so that's what I would do. "Hey, I'm takin' these, alright?" "O.K." Case closed. If you have to do it in secret, you must know that someone doesn't want you to do it.
Also the entire concept of theft relies on the tenuous concept of personal property as an assumption. Particularly, how a person could claim to own something whose existence predates their own can be a head scratcher.

But on the same hand, would it be "not theft" and "just sneaking" if a bank robber goes into a bank, tells them "It's a holdup" and then "sneaks" away all of their money.

See what I'm saying? You let one though, it opens the flood gates.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

They say your brain shuts down after about two minutes without oxygen.
Ther never was anybody around left what they experienced in those two minutes.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Let us say hypothetically, the boss found out his employee was "stealing" teabags. The boss then decided to fire the employee. Most of us would cry foul.

Perhaps we would cry foul because no harm was done to the boss. The employee was entitled to take a reasonable number of teabags during the workday and the boss is no worse off if the employee takes the teabags when the workday is done.

You could also say that the employee constructively took and used the teabags during his breaks. Therefore, the employee did not really take the teabags home because he already constructively used them.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
the bible states that if you are working on a farm, that you can eat the food as long as you dont take any with you. so if i work at a grocery store, same rules apply. if an entity has more than it needs, i say yes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

What do you do if a rule is made prohibiting you from doing as it's written in the bible ?Do you respect it or do it any way ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join