It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Camo cops' ambushing speeders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- State police are taking to the woods, dressed in camouflage and armed.

But the weapons are radar guns, the quarry is speeders and the season never closes.

Police at the Rockview Barracks near State College began using so-called "camo cops" patrols after a 44-vechicle crash on Interstate 80 that killed six people in January.

"As a result, there were many, many letters and questions and fingerpointing -- What are you doing? What are you not doing enough of?" said Lt. Jeffrey Watson, station commander.

The tactic is catching on with state police in other counties.

More: www.cnn.com...

So don't go out drinking in the woods any more kiddies!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
State Troopers in various parts of the state where I live have been doing this for a couple of years along roads with higher rates of accidents and fatalities.

Usually, it involves a team effort. A spotter in the air and/or two to three in the woods with radar guns and two to three troopers a mile or so down the road to actually stop you. Two or three more roughly another mile down the road, in case the first set of troopers misses you due to heavy traffic or being in process with another stop.

These roads usually also have those traffic signs which flash your current speed and reminding people to slow down but some people just don't pay attention. Although, I'm not sure how effective this type of enforcement is as the State Police haven't released any statistics yet.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I also know of police in cities sitting dressed as homeless people on the side of the road in rags with radar guns, or putting out a fake cardboard cut out of a police car a mile or so before the real one.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The most effective tatic the police in my city use is unmanned cars. The randomnly park police cars with no one in them along the sides of main roads, mostly in parking lots. The effect is that everyone thinks they are about to pass a cop so they slow down. Speed traps are a big business in my state. Some cities get 80-90% of their revenue from tickets, not taxes.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by el_topo
The most effective tatic the police in my city use is unmanned cars. The randomnly park police cars with no one in them along the sides of main roads, mostly in parking lots. The effect is that everyone thinks they are about to pass a cop so they slow down. Speed traps are a big business in my state. Some cities get 80-90% of their revenue from tickets, not taxes.

I have seen, in Maryland, parked cop cars with dummies in the driver's seat, but I have never heard of 'scanner' cops on foot before.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I used to live in Pennsylvania, and as someone who traveled a lot at the time, I can say the State Troopers have always been a sneaky bunch. Their use of unmarked cars is legendary. I'm not too surprised at this new development.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Nothing beats Photo radar...thats beyond sneaky, getting a ticket in the mail a couple weeks later.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Can not say I am surprised or concerned...I always drive whats posted or less...saving gas and extra cash in my pocket trump 5 or ten minutes of time I might save.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i've seen the strategically parked cop cars all over the place
but today I noticed one had dummy/mannequin in it, totally threw me for curve, cuz i was doing 55 in a 45 mph zone with no seatbelt on.

but what can you really say about the sneaky cops, they do it to make their quotas and earn revenue for the state.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I saw this and though I would update this thread. I mean how much mind warping can they concieve of? A cardboard cop sign? Cardboard Cops

In Aiken, there's a new kind of cop in town. He's got the look and the tool to clock you, but on closer inspection his threatening stance falls flat.

"At first I thought it was a person!" says driver Lucille Wright. Officer Chris Carter is - he's just made out of cardboard. And it's obvious Aiken's newest cop is cut out for the job

"Hes cut out for the job " ...come on...

[edit on 31-12-2007 by dntwastetime]

top topics

join