It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The image of Jesus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
After reading the news of the display of the Shroud of Turin i decided to look a bit deeper into the known images of Jesus that are around.

Shroud of Turin background

The Shroud of Turin (or Turin Shroud) is a linen cloth bearing the image of a man who appears to have suffered physical trauma in a manner consistent with crucifixion. It is kept in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Turin, northern Italy. The origins of the shroud and its image are the subject of intense debate among scientists, theologians, historians and researchers.

SOURCE

The shroud will be on display very soon again and can (unofficialy) be watched with 3d glasses to see more detail on the wounds for example.

ROME (CNS) -- The Italian Archdiocese of Turin has announced that the Shroud of Turin, which many believe is the burial cloth of Christ, will be on public display April 10-May 23, 2010.

The public exposition in Turin's cathedral will offer members of the public their first opportunity to see the shroud since it underwent major cleaning and restoration in 2002.

The work involved removing 30 fabric patches and a fabric backing, known as the Holland Cloth, sewn onto the shroud in 1534 after a fire.

SOURCE

Personally i always have been very sceptical of images of Jesus on items and this includes the shroud.

Here is a video on some more modern Jesus appearances on items.

I always had a hard time taking these images serious, even the more official ones as in the examples below.

# Jesus' baby blanket - Aachen, Germany
# Jesus' foreskin ("Holy Prepuce") - Coulombs Abbey, France
# Jesus' loin cloth worn on the cross - Aachen, Germany
# Pieces of the true cross - many locations, but primarily Santo Toribio de Liébana, Spain
# Mary's cloak - Aachen, Germany

SOURCE

Here are some examples of the Roman Catholic classification and prohibitions.

First-Class Relics

Items directly associated with the events of Christ's life (manger, cross, etc.), or the physical remains of a saint (a bone, a hair, a limb, etc.). Traditionally, a martyr's relics are often more prized than the relics of other saints. Also, some saints' relics are known for their extraordinary incorruptibility (Human remains do not deteriorate as would normally be expected. For instance a 500 year old body that appears as though it is still in wake) and so would have high regard. Parts of the saint that were significant to that saint's life are more prized relics. For instance, King St. Stephen of Hungary's right forearm is especially important because of his status as a ruler. A famous theologian's head may be his most important relic. (The head of St. Thomas Aquinas was removed by the monks at the Cistercian abbey at Fossanova where he died). If a saint did a lot of travelling then the bones of his feet may be prized. Current Catholic teaching prohibits relics to be divided up into small, unrecognizable parts if they are to be used in liturgy (i.e, as in an altar; see the rubrics listed in Rite Of Dedication of a Church and an Altar).

SOURCE

Finally i'd like to present a Jesus Image Gallery for the purpose of comparing.

What did Jesus look like? No one knows for sure. The New Testament provides almost no physical descriptions and the earliest surviving portraits of Jesus date from about two centuries after his lifetime.

The ReligionFacts Jesus Image Gallery is a collection of 100 images of Jesus, arranged in chronological order from the most ancient to the most recent. Some of these images of Jesus might give us clues about what he may have really looked like, such as the alleged shroud imprints and modern forensic reconstructions. But the vast majority are symbolic representations or reflections of the artist's own time, culture and perceptions of Jesus, not attempts to show what he actually looked like.

SOURCE

Enjoy

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Is it me, or am I reminded of those 'tourist trap' places along highways? "SEE! The world's largest (Alligator, cow, pineapple, ball of twine)!"

If it's all down to 'faith'- why need the bits and pieces that most likely are fake to begin with?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
G'day All,

Out of all those image's only two of them are close to what a Nazarean man would have looked like. The Ethiopian one and the Forensic recreation, all the rest are not even close........

long hair and scruffy beards were looked down upon in those days, and for a fact he was not a white man.

So there you have it.....

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

You seem oblivious of the fact that Yeshua was a Jewish Nazirite, amongst whose ascetic vows was the refraining from cutting the hair.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Interesting thread OP, and I have always thought about what Jesus the man may have looked like some 2,000 years ago? I suppose the closet thing we have to get any kind of idea of what he may have looked like is the Shroud of Turin.

Another facial reconstruction and 3-D rendering has taken place involving the shroud, and I was convinced with how the computer graphics artists pulled it off. It was a recent show on the History Channel that chronicled how they carried out their investigation, and the show provided good scientific and historical background of the the shroud. Here is a clip from the show.

It is a fascinating show to say the least, now was the image derived from their investigation the true portrait of Jesus the man? Perhaps and perhaps not, because the jury is still out on whether the relic is authentic and over 2,000 years old?

If anything, I found the show interesting and informative about the continued pursuit by those in the archaeological and scientific community to find a place in recorded for Jesus the man. It is not a matter of faith, but an attempt to provide historical context to a man who left his mark on the world some 2,000 years ago.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

You seem oblivious of the fact that Yeshua was a Jewish Nazirite, amongst whose ascetic vows was the refraining from cutting the hair.

G'day,

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that the opstels them selves said that short hair and neatly croped beards were the thing in their group.

Do your study before you comment on people that have.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am critical of that video... It shows an image of Jesus, but why is most of it in shadow? Why the over dramatic lighting? Why not just do a forensic 3d image? There have been simple 3d walkarounds of other famous faces they have used this technique on... Why all the drama?

I smell a way to 'sell' it to the more hysterical believers, who are gonna be almost dancing around and doing backflips- not on the actual 3d image (which, BTW- is a collection of data, polygons, textures, ect and a scan of a shroud that's kinda sketchy history wise), but how it's been sold.

I'll even stretch it a bit and say this could be a prototype for the much rumored 'Project Bluebeam'. Nothing like test running an image to see how the sheeple react. I wonder how long it'll take them to do up a Buddha, or a Mohamed (or Allah, or whoever they have stuffed in that hidden cave prophet wise), Or a few main Indian Gods and Goddesses... Or will they stick to the 'Big 3'?

And- why yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands to wonder about "stuff" like this.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm sure Jesus will love a bunch of people gazing at his foreskin in a museum somewhere.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yeah I saw that program today on the artists work after viewing the 3D data from the shroud.

I thought the artist did a great job. When the shroud researchers managed to draw out the blood using imaging, the beating really became apparent. It looked like an animal attack or something, Total physical trauma. As to whether or not it's authentic, I am not sure. I'd like to think it is. I do find it odd that in 2010 we cannot manage to duplicate it to the same level of detail. That's pretty interesting to say the least.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here are some more images of jesus appearing in various places

Link

Enjoy

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
post removed

[edit on 073030p://pm3032 by debris765nju]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I imagine the shroud of Turin is more than likely Jacques de Molay the last Grand Mater of the Knights Templar.

Crazy catholics and there fascination with idol worship.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Actually, I've come to believe that the most likely image on the modern day shroud of turin is in fact the image of Leonardo Da Vinci of all people.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kernoonos
G'day All,

Out of all those image's only two of them are close to what a Nazarean man would have looked like. The Ethiopian one and the Forensic recreation, all the rest are not even close........

long hair and scruffy beards were looked down upon in those days, and for a fact he was not a white man.

So there you have it.....

any source we can look at to possibly come to the same conclusion ?

where you get this info ? I've heard it all before many times but I would like to read some myself.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kernoonos

Originally posted by micpsi

G'day,

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that the opstels them selves said that short hair and neatly croped beards were the thing in their group.

Do your study before you comment on people that have.

And the apostles often did things that Jesus would not have......They learned many lessons from him.....He would not have followed them...though

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by Johnze

Actually, I've come to believe that the most likely image on the modern day shroud of turin is in fact the image of Leonardo Da Vinci of all people.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Rising Against]

But wasn't the shroud around for a good 100-200 years before Leonardo was even born ???

That would make that not the case then, although I'm sure he could have pulled it off.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
My biggest question is............

Why don't they just date the cloth ?

THey can date dirt via carbon dating and other methods, but nobody can figure out how old this cloth is ????

That is the key...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Is it me, or am I reminded of those 'tourist trap' places along highways? "SEE! The world's largest (Alligator, cow, pineapple, ball of twine)!"

If it's all down to 'faith'- why need the bits and pieces that most likely are fake to begin with?

Because if it is all down to faith BECAUSE the bits and pieces are fake, then there is a lie that has been perpetrated on every Christian and Muslim the world over, for the last 2k years.

Now, while I may believe that to be true, I am in the minority.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If you believe the Bible (along with some of the other early Christian texts), Jesus looked like a bunch of different people, not just one. Apparently, he would even appear to the Disciples as a little kid sometimes. After the Resurrection, he appeared on the road to some of the Disciples and it wasn't until he actually sat down and had dinner with him that they recognized him for who he was.

His curious ability to shape shift would seemingly make it difficult to pin down exactly what he looked like.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

The other explanation is that Jesus was more than one person and would account for resurrection and other events detailed in the Bible.
Am skeptical of any image left behind, there is no physical proof left ; no temple he attended, no houses he built ( he was a carpenter), no books he wrote himself..nothing. Why would he leave an image on a shroud?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join