It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's 17-minute, 2,500-word response to woman's claim of being 'over-taxed'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LiteralLimbaugh

The abcd guy sounds as close to a party hack, an inside operative as they get. He had the talking points!

Poor Obama though, he gets 24 hours of criticism for his 17 minute response to being overtaxed. And then this on opening day!

Bood by the Crowd

When he took the mound, the crowd cheered a bit, but boos were clearly audible across the stadium. The crowd booed even louder when he donned a White Sox cap.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So your complaint is that he took too MUCH time to answer a question. He devoted 17min to that woman, shows that he actually cares and that he wants to explain things.

What else do you want him to do? Say "you are wrong" and move on to the next question? Dumb the answer down into 3 sentences like they do on FOX "News"?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The bigger a cat's pile of shjt the longer it takes them to cover it up.

17 minutes is a pretty big pile of shjt imo,

but then i am not a practicing member of corporate/Pentagon mania.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i thought ATS was about discussion and sharing knowledge but it seems to be just another forum for everyone to soapbox it. all this rhetoric, but no one actually discussing facts. i presented workable facts in the form of the complete video which i guess no one has viewed even still because all i keep seeing is people going on about how long the speech was, yet no one is discussing what he said, or outlining reasons for their stance based on the video in question. you just keep going on about how evil obama is because he took 17 minutes to answer a question. jesus tapdancing around the subject christ. i think im done with this site.

in case you missed it heres the link again.

bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com...

even the guy who actually has the whole 17 minute answer fails to actually discuss the issues in the video and goes on to blog about things contradicted in the video he posted, seems everyone just wants to bash obama for any reason, or maybe its just because he's black?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My 2 cents is that the woman is only partially correct when she states America is over-taxed. She is incorrect when she states she, i.e. people like her, are overtaxed.

One problem America has is its corporate tax rates are nominally the highest in the world and the effective corporate tax rate is among the highest in the world. This is bad because it drives corporations offshore to low tax jurisdictions like Ireland.

America nevertheless has very low taxes compared to the rest of the world. Excise taxes on fuel are virtually nonexistent compared to excise taxes for Europeans. Income taxes for high income earners are also very low. The top tax bracket is nominally at 35%, while it is much higher in Europe and other modern economies. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for the wealthy to pay a 15% tax rate. (Google hedge funds)

Average people, like this woman, pay relatively little in taxes compared to their European counterparts. Furthermore, average people do NOT pay Federal Estate and Gift taxes because they fall under the $3.5 million exemption.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

America nevertheless has very low taxes compared to the rest of the world. Excise taxes on fuel are virtually nonexistent compared to excise taxes for Europeans. Income taxes for high income earners are also very low.

But! Americans are very set against becoming heavily taxed like Europeans! And Americans think Obama is trying to Europeanize us all using his bully techniques. Matter of fact they are scared to death that is what he is trying to do as this article indicates.

As a result you have a very unhappy electorate holding lots of tea parties!

And thanks for your comparative analysis of the US vs European tax structure. I do agree with it but being an American I hope very much that disparity continues. I don't think you get more because you are taxed more in fact, etc.

The Obama defenders want to turn this thread into a debate about taxation and that's not where its headed.

The last time this country had tea parties the issue was unfair taxation and lack of representation also. There were those that were happy with the taxes, they were called Tories. So in retrospect we can draw many parallel to the Obama administration's harsh rule, lack of representation and unfair taxation.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by plumranch

Its all about throwing everything and anything. If Obama answered the question in under a minute, his ignorant! Didnt explain himself! He takes the time to explain it as best he can and now his taking too long! Nevermind the fact disgruntled conservatives now actually have an opportunity to address Obamas answer word for word, nope, they are unable to!

SouthernGuardian, what percentage of Obama's 2,500 words do you feel addressed the question of whether we were being taxed. Please point out where in the speech Obama is addressing the point.

And more importantly, what do you believe is the most people should have to pay for the government who are incredibly rich. Lets say someone is earning $700,000 per year. In your opinion, what is the largest percent they should have to pay?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Average people, like this woman, pay relatively little in taxes compared to their European counterparts. Furthermore, average people do NOT pay Federal Estate and Gift taxes because they fall under the $3.5 million exemption.

So on the bottom line what does a middle class European family actually pay in taxes after all said and done?

I also think people are not too upset with 2009 taxes its 2010 and beyond.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
17 minutes to explain a bill that is a couple thousand pages is a pretty masterful feat. Doesn't seem like the people will ever buy this crap though.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I also think people are not too upset with 2009 taxes its 2010 and beyond.

2009 Taxes are based on the "Bush tax cuts" which were more than fair and reasonable!

What happens from here in regards to taxes is up in the air! Figuratively or literally.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join