It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by geekgod

the problem is that Apple tries to centralize everything and owns everything

I will definitely buy one to try out when it gets released with camera, mic, USB and other stuff

remember, all companies are doing it, Google, Asus, Microsoft, everyone is involved in developing one too

I will way, I just find it amazing to pay 500 bucs for something that doesnt do what it should

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Real computer geeks use Unix or a distro of Linux...Apple is for people who are too lazy to learn Windows OS, and just want things to work automagically.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If that was their intention, they failed. Miserably. Nobody likes the iPad. I have yet to meet someone in real life or on the internet who says anything good about this piece of garbage technology. I mean, in the age of technology becoming smaller, more compact, AND more powerful, this crappy iPad bullcrap is a step (or five) backwards. It is its own comedic parody of everything Apple could do wrong. I really don't know what they were thinking, and if what they were thinking was your conspiracy theory, they seriously need to rethink their strategy

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaCommando5I went to the apple store to touch and see the new ipad...no slot for a memory card for photos and I asked how do we load our photos onto the pad...the sales clerk told me that there is a device that they sell that can attach to the pad which means simply that ipad is interested in making money, not life better for you...

I agree with the premise of the lead article...for $500 which only gets you wifi capability, and twice the cost of a netbook, you get less for your dollar instead of more...it has no protective cover to protect the screen, charging more for a case of some kind, and its liabilities make it a loser for apple instead of a winner...why bother with it? I won't bother to buy a more expensive toy no matter what than those already on the market...it is not an innovative breakthrough of any kind, just an oversized iphone without the phone ability...thanks, but no thanks...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Real computer geeks use Unix or a distro of Linux...Apple is for people who are too lazy to learn Windows OS, and just want things to work automagically.

Or just don't want to waste their time on buggy software, that work like crap.

Originally posted by OrphenFire
If that was their intention, they failed. Miserably. Nobody likes the iPad. I have yet to meet someone in real life or on the internet who says anything good about this piece of garbage technology. I mean, in the age of technology becoming smaller, more compact, AND more powerful, this crappy iPad bullcrap is a step (or five) backwards. It is its own comedic parody of everything Apple could do wrong. I really don't know what they were thinking, and if what they were thinking was your conspiracy theory, they seriously need to rethink their strategy

Why all the hate against an item you haven't even tried? Also, it really is no wonder that you haven't met anyone that talked positive about it, when it was released yesterday!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick

I must disagree with this. Mac OSX has Unix underneath. With a FreeBSD userland it has the full power of a gorgeous GUI and a powerful command line Unix system.

Open source programmers have been switching to the Mac in large numbers recently and you can find a lot of their stories on sites such as Y! Combinators hacker news.

If you want to run a Linux application on a Mac it's no problem. Simply install the X environment and then you can compile your favorite KDE or Gnome application and fire away.

But back to the iPad..

What really has captivated me with this device is the power to be set free from your computer. Being a computer geek at large I spend a fair amount of time sitting at a desk behind a keyboard and mouse. Being able to do most of the things that I do at a computer is very empowering for people that want to sit outside on their porch, etc. The Mail application works really well and checking mail via Gmail on the iPad is fantastic with the new built in preview pane.

And once your done surfing the web there is quite a large number of applications available for it from games to productivity apps (Keynote is fantastic).

Without wanting to sound like a Apple fanboy I will cut this short. It just pains me to hear such harsh criticisms from people that have not directly tried one yet.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
listen to me members. i say stuff we can all agree on:
OSX is a great (closed) os,very stable *
macs are overpriced mostly *
iphone is nice,ipod touch is great but ipad...guuh ): *
the design is nice,the keyboards the new magic mouse.
but theyr not building the future anymore.
look at LG. look at hologram keyboards. and the only thing apple can think of
is a bigger iphone. sure they make great touchscreens.
but cmon,do a hologram or something BUILD THE FUTURE.
its great that they use OLED icc dsplays for a nice price but still.
where are the new ideas?
ipad is for fanboys that want to show off and act like rich...
the same people that say "my ipod" every two mins

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
All this hype about the iPad reminds me of when the Segway scooter was introduced.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
No offense guys, but no one here has one. I do. The thing is great. Its much closer to laptop than iphone. Notice how everyone here rips on it, then mentions they don't know much about it. All most of you are doing is saying things based on what you ASSUME.

So let me tell you, the iPad is great. It puts all forms of media in my hands better than a laptop, or netbook, or cellphone. Its portability is like a magazine, but has near the media capabilities of a laptop. The battery is 4-5 times longer than a laptop and you dont have to worry about bringing a laptop bag with tons of cords. It starts in seconds versus a laptop taking minutes, and instantly I have all media in my hands anywhere. And before many of you wackos start saying it only mainstream media, you are wrong. Know why? I am typing this response from my iPad. It doesn't limit media ladies and gentlemen, it expands it. I am at a coffee shop right now. I never would have brought my laptop here due to the hassle of settling the thing up and lack of battery power. But with this, I come in with it in a leather case, hit a button and I am online. Its so much more than what those of you that don't have one (nearly everyone) assume it to be.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by johnny2127]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The whole point of Apple seems to be taking away sophisticated features so the product is dumbed down enough for anyone at all to use. On the other hand book-readers like the Amazon Kindle have had some success. Therefore, there is at least some potential for this product. Personally I see no benefit whatsoever to reading materials in a place besides right at my computer. And if I did, having both a laptop and a reader seem like a pointless combination... so if I'm going to spend the money I'd rather buy a used laptop for the same price as a book reader.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Most of you aren't thinking big enough yet. The iPad is a device for eventual deployment of cloud computing. It doesn't need to compete with laptops or more powerful computing, because most of the hardcore computing will be done in the cloud. Send and receive is all it needs to do.

Think I'm talking baloney?

Go check out Onlive.com. Cloud based gaming that allows you to play the biggest coolest games in all their glory with fairly lame machines. No need to upgrade your PC or console every 6 months to a couple of years just to keep up, now you could theoretically play from anywhere. They tested the system with the iPhone and it worked. Even though the phone couldn't play the games because of input limitations, you could still spectate on games as though you were on a high end machine.

Now imagine the iPad using that system. Wow, suddenly Apple is a high end player all of a sudden in the game space.

And when photoshop goes "cloud-based", the iPad will already be right there.

See, the government auctioned off all those analog airwaves to make room for a faster wireless internet. Then they told ATT and Verizon that they want to see 100mbps for all broadband users. And Cisco has been making new kit to make all that happen.

Its coming and Apple wants to be the first in line...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

I guess the difference is that you consider a laptop bag a significant inconvenience whereas I would not. As for battery life, you can buy a second or even 3rd battery for a laptop. If I were a frequent plane traveler I'd probably prefer to have a Kindle or Ipad rather than a laptop. But if you look at the number of people who are frequent plane travelers its a very small portion of the population. The problem with the Ipad is that it does not have a keyboard and is therefore not a laptop. Most of all, $499 is a total ripoff price for such a product! The cost should be no more than $200. Also I'd find typing out messages on a screen key by key to be excruciatingly slow.

The Ipad is good for taking in media whereas I'm creating media myself much more often than taking in media.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
reply to post by geekgod

I will definitely buy one to try out when it gets released with camera, mic, USB and other stuff

I agree with you 100% that these would have been excellent additions to the iPad. However, even without these items the iPad is fantastic.

Future versions that include USB, Camera, etc are going to be awesome! But then again you have to consider that Apple wanted the first version of the iPad out the door and adding these items might have slowed progress since you need USB drivers for items you plugin, etc. I think it came down to timing and not being able to finish some of these things.

There was evidence that video chat applications was a planned feature but was removed. So I think its safe to say Apple understands these limitations and will be addressing them on the next iteration.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Is this another slick advertising thread? jk! No USB Port... no camera...? What a waste.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
They are just trying to capitalize on their iphone idea, that's all. Nothing suspicious about imo, and also a cruddy device with too many limitations to be useful. And a pad? Sure, I'd like to share what I'm doing with everyone around me, AND crush the crush the screen. Sweet.

Here is what I will wait for:

www.engadget.com...

The Microsoft Courier. Now that looks useful.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Were you able to transfer files with a USB stick/ Flash drive?
Or transfer photos from your SD card?

It's ok you can take pics with it right or use the webcam.... oh wait, can't do that.

No widescreen?

No flash player?

Come on man.... the things sucks...

Get a laptop with 5 times the spec for the same money...

As stillalive said above, this is for Apple fanboys and people who like to look good and like their gadgets to look good but have no substance.

[edit on 4/4/10 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

yes, I think you are talking baloney

you must not understand a lot about the cloud computing gaming tech

the problem into cloud computing gaming is that latency is too high for an ethernet (internet goes thought cable to your device) system, and some games will not play properly, not smooth

the ultimate problem here is that the iPad is wireless, so, it would be impossible for you to play any game thought onlive or something like, since the wireless latency is 200x higher than ethernet (cable) ... 3G would be the same

so, the only way for an iPad to be able to experience a cloud gaming system, would be an ETHERNET PORT, but hey, iPad doesnt have that ...

changing the subject to cloud computing, taking off this gaming part, I agree, iPad is something made to the user experience cloud computing, but they dont have any excuse to not add many features that I mention before.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

it expands right? more than 90% of the web uses flash, just because this website works doesnt mean every website will work properly

we need to remember that ADS(most thought flash) is that makes a website work, otherwise they cant get $$

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

YOU PAID 600 DOLLARS FOR AN IPOD TOUCH YOUR OPINION IS NULL AND VOID.

Do you guys want to know what the iPad is? It's that new gadget that every mother#ing hipster in America (because there are no hipsters outside of America) wants because they think they're tech savvy by spending a large amount of money on something that isn't worth the money.

It's that simple! There is nothing about this that makes it worth having outside of having it! It looks cool! It's sleek and futuristic!

It is a step into the future solely because I believe we'll be seeing this design be the popular norm in a decade or two. That is, when cost is down, when the specs are up, and they can add in a phone feature. People won't have laptops or phones anymore, they will have something like this.

That's the only thing revolutionary about it, and it isn't something that is even NEW; the idea has been around for years. Sci fi and the military has been fooling around with the idea for years. Apple is just the first to have the design be marketed.

In the end what you're getting though is an over-sized coaster. If you bought one, you're an idiot and wasted 600 dollars. But I'm sure Apple appreciates your drone-like love of their company.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

please, use it for like 3 months, then you can do a good review

since a lot of people here knows about computing and what the specs inside iPad will do or not do for you, we know a lot of things that will make the experience very poor: it wont replace a netbook, neither an laptop, so, for me its useless ... if I am home, I am going to use my desktop, if I am not, I would use a laptop

but, if you are a person that really dont uses a lot of web, videos from multiple websites, downloading stuff ... and only wants it to use like an e-book reader ... maybe its fantastic

but the price wouldnt justify that

(right now you didnt use that much, u didnt experience the flash side of it, you need to use more the web, you need to try to have to work on some stuff, to create some problems, you need to experience this device, instead of saying that the interface is amazing ... because most people wont buy it because it shines when you look at it, they need to know the performance side, the problems that you will experience)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join