It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hackers will get flash on your ipad, i doubt not.

But anyone with a pc can try out macosx, build a hackintosh, half the price of mac, and works just as well, cough cough.

On topic, what do you think about just running one app at time, compared to computers multitasking?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Well as an avid Apple fan I have to disagree with you. I have both an Apple and a PC (which I hate btw) and I cant wait to get my iPad. I have the iPhone as well and I love it. For me the iPad is much easier to carry around vs carrying my bulky 17in laptop everywhere. I am always online doing something and it's a pain to lug this thing around. My iphone is great but the screen is a tad too small to do things online with it. As far as it missing certain things, well there are always ways around it
I think it's a great product, a little on the expensive side but that's Apple for you. Most people who talk crap about Apple products really have no clue how easy they are to use and how much nicer they are. Apple really is a great product. I never had problems with my Apple like I do on this thing I have now...I am only on a PC because my Apple was dropped and I swear it takes all I have not to chuck it off the balcony
but I guess that is one argument nobody will win..

I think just like the iPhone, that with each model they put out they will upgrade the things it lacks..The one thing I wish they would fix is the flash issue. I can get around it, but it's a pain in the butt! Having flash would be great. I did read that Apple and Adobe have been arguing over this for years.. One of them needs to give!

Hi, I feel sorry for you. having an Apple tattoed on your arm/ankle, Why?
Did Apple Give you something for doing that to yourself?
I love my Toshiba Laptop but I won't be getting a Toshiba Tatoo on my arm, that's for sure..

Anyhow, back on Topic.

Unfortunately for you, I do know what I'm talking about and Apple are not the Front Runners in the Technolgy Stakes and their Products are not really that good. I've had a couple of iPhones and Each has had their problems. WiFi crapped itself because Apple made an error in their Firmware. The WiFi chip couldn't handle 100% output and it overheated and died. It was a well known problem. You can read some of the Forums to know how much trouble Apple have had with their Products.

So,
Only Apple would bring out a Phone that could only use Software that was authorised by them. Jailbreak your Phone to run other applications and you can bet your next Firmware Upgrade will render it useless. I do admit that their GUI is one of the best but that will change.

Why would Apple bring out an iPad or for another term let's call it a Netbook, which is, by the way, all it really is, which falls short of the Competition?
A Netbook or Notebook computer has ten times the functionality of the iPad, Yet people will by it. Why people won't buy a better product that probably costs less is beyond me.

The iPad could have been a much better product for Apple. Maybe, Apple, in their infinite wisdom are actually holding the Technology back so that in 6 months time, the iPad you buy today, with no USB, no Multitasking, no choice of Carrier, no voip capability, no Camera, etc, Becomes obsolete and you'll just have to have the latest and greatest iPad? You'll have to spend another 800 bucks. You're old iPad will be worth, what?

I have an ASUS Netbook that has a 3G Modem in it. It has WiFi, WebCam, SSD. It even has, (Drum Roll Please), USB Ports. It takes a Simcard under the Battery. It's been a great little perfomer, running Windows XP. Cost? $199.00

So, If I had 800 bucks to spend on a Computer and I had a choice of an iPad, A Notebook or Laptop, I can tell you I wouldn't be buying an iPad.

When you really think logically about it, the iPad really is a waste of money..

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Damian-007]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
duplicate post

[edit on 4/4/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
Hi, I feel sorry for you. having an Apple tattoed on your arm, Why?
Did Apple Give you something for doing that to yourself?
I love my Toshiba Laptop but I won't be getting a Toshiba Tatoo on my arm, that's for sure..

Anyhow, back on Topic.

Unfortunately for you, I do know what I'm talking about and Apple are not the Front Runners in the Technolgy Stakes and their Products are not really that good. I've had a couple of iPhones and Each has had their problems. WiFi crapped itself because Apple made an error in their Firmware. The WiFi chip couldn't handle 100% output and it overheated and died. It was a well known problem. You can read some of the Forums to know how much trouble Apple have had with their Products.

So,
Only Apple would bring out a Phone that could only use Software that was authorised by them. Jailbreak your Phone to run other applications and you can bet your next Firmware Upgrade will render it useless. I do admit that their GUI is one of the best but that will change.

Why would Apple bring out an iPad or for another term let's call it a Netbook, which is, by the way, all it really is, which falls short of the Competition?
A Netbook or Notebook computer has ten times the functionality of the iPad, Yet people will by it. Why people won't buy a better product that probably costs less is beyond me.

The iPad could have been a much better product for Apple. Maybe, Apple, in their infinite wisdom are actually holding the Technology back so that in 6 months time, the iPad you buy today, with no USB, no Multitasking, no choice of Carrier, no voip capability, no Camera, etc, Becomes obsolete and you'll just have to have the latest and greatest iPad? You'll have to spend another 800 bucks. You're old iPad will be worth, what?

I have an ASUS Netbook that has a 3G Modem in it. It has WiFi, WebCam, SSD. It even has, (Drum Roll Please), USB Ports. It takes a Simcard under the Battery. It's been a great little perfomer, running Windows XP. Cost? $199.00

So, If I had 800 bucks to spend on a Computer and I had a choice of an iPad, A Notebook or Laptop, I can tell you I wouldn't be buying an iPad.

When you really think logically about it, the iPad really is a waste of money..

First off learn to quote and secondly it's TATTOO or TATTOOED....No I didnt get money for anything, wth would I? I like Apple and always have. Its also not on my arm, but my ankle. If you knew me you would understand why I have it. All my tats have meaning and the meaning behind my Apple is something you will never understand.

Well my 600 bucks will be worth it for me. I dont like PCs, I never have. I have never had so many problems before on my computer until I bought a PC. This is one of those arguments that one side will never win. Mac vs PC will always be a one sided argument. I dont like PCs and that is that. For ME Apple, iphone and iPad are perfect for what I need. I have looked at the iPad and everything that people say is wrong with it and for me it's not an issue.. Yes I am sure Apple will release new features in time like they always do but for now I cant wait to get my iPad. It all depends on what you want to use it for and for me it's minimal things so I dont have to carry my laptop everywhere I go. It's a matter of choice.
All the things you mentioned I could careless about because they are not needed for what I want the iPad for. I dont like anything windows...While we are talking windows, if windows is soooo great then why are there so many damn viruses and issues? Why do you have to set your computer up like Ft. Knox so nothing happens to it?? I have to have a certain program for school that I found out wont work on Windows 7 in the full version? How do you fix that? Windows needs to figure out their issues BEFORE they release programs. I would gladly pay more money for Apple and not have the headaches I get with my PC. I have used Apple my entire life and I couldnt be happier.

BTW I love my tat and so did Apple

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Oh noes, I spelt Tattooed wrong. Sorry.. As far as Quoting goes, I have no idea why that happened. I can't fix it no matter what I do? Now It's fixed.

Well, I have nothing to prove either. The proof is in the numbers.

What is the most used computer system in the world? I think you'll find it's not a Mac.

As far as Phones go, Apple had a good run but, the novelty is starting to wear off and the Kids have lost a little interest in the iPhone.

The iPad? We will have to wait and see. Like all novelties I think this may end badly for Apple. Depends on their Marketing Skills..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Anyhow... there is no point in buying a product that can't do what I need.
It doesn't run programs I need it to run... even though 'technically' it could run WINE since iPhone / iPad is only the port of Darwin / OSx for the mobile devices, but Apple says "no".

For 499, I could buy an iPad then download and read the manuals for the equipment I work on... and for the same price, I could buy a netbook, external DVD drive AND multi-touch enabled mouse pad and a printer, ink refills and 6 reems of paper, and do my job.

Productivity lies in doing your job, not buying something and waiting for someone to make an "APP for that".

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lonestarworks

I agree, and I research it about it, yeah, they will come out with their own version of iPad, not only microsoft, but a lot of companies will make their own, like Google, with another OS system, so you wont need to die by the Apple centralization system ... but all this hype is amazing for a product that as you said, it is useless for 99,999% of our pop and 100% not a good product/money

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

the conspiracy side is this: yeah, the media is trying to sell us a product that 99,9999% of us doesnt need and its not worth the money spend, so yeah, you have this side

the other side, like I said its the attempt from some big mainstream media to make money thought the iPad, selling content, so, they use their visibility to make the product look like some it is not

reply to post by ventian

reply to post by yiersan

well, the guy in the huffingtonpost (and I found later other articles) definitely said that there is a movement by the big media to try to make this product their SALVATION, so, yeah there is something into it besides the marketing thing
www.huffingtonpost.com...

reply to post by Pajjikor

I agree, this tech that they used will be a lot used in a lot of fields like medicine, but its not something for the end user, if you are not into e-Book ... I think Apple should have waited 1 year to develop more their OS and the hardware

reply to post by vox2442

for you its going to be a good fit I think, you just need to see if its confortable to read, it should be since its the main purpose

well, if you like to play with a touchscreen, it may be a fit for you ... I wont answer, another member already did and I agree with him

reply to post by andy1033

did hackers got flash into ipod touch and iphone? I really dont know, I dont think but who knows, I am not an iphone user

reply to post by Damian-007

I agree. They will definitely release another hardware in the next 6 months with some features that I thought it was essential and it was missing. They are trying to sell using the HYPE and the support from some big media.

reply to post by abecedarian

For most people, the product really is useless like I said, and for everyone the product isnt worth the price.

Remember, I am saying this because when I first thought about an iPad I really was thinking that maybe I could buy one, but then I researched about it and I just found out all those things, plus the media manipulation, so, its hard for me to recommend anyone to buy one.

The only guy in this thread that may need it, its the guy that spends 200$/month in e-Books, but he could buy an netbook for half of the price, and it may provide a good experience for the price.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have been an Apple fan for a long, long time. Got a Mac Classic sitting in the closet that I will hold on to for a long time to come, even though it is useless in today's standards.

But I don't care for the iPad. It does not suit me at all. It is a bit on the large and fragile side to be an effective portable reader/video player. It lacks being a serviceable computer. Email, webpages. Sure it can do that and do it well. But an iPod Touch does the same thing. The sacrifice is size for portability. Oh and the eReader aspect as well.

But it you want to look at the big picture, it still doesn't do a fraction of what the old Newton did. Handwriting recognition that learned your handwriting is still a pretty big deal in my book. Apple still has Rosetta, why not bring it back? The Newton could even host a website (limited to text and poor very small greyscale images, but still. Apple even had USB functionality in there, just turned off. All in all it was on par with Apple's laptops of the time. I lost mine in a move, but for tech that is 13 years old, it would still be almost as usefully today as it was then. Certainly more than the iPad does.

edit to add

The iPad is Apple's device. It was made to their decisions. While not for me, I am sure that it does what they intended it to do. It has done one thing...it has made me look into the iPod Touch as a serious consideration for purchase.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
lol.....one of the funnier threads I have read lately. Thanks.

Steps back several years to when the iPod came about.... Listening to many people voice their opinions on what a useless product this ‘iPod’ thing was... why do we need it? I have my CDs, I have my walkman, I have my Portable CD player... whats the point...

Steps forward a few years where the main media player is now an iPod, CD’s are all but gone and what the heck is a portable CD player. Some say the iPod has helped the music industry out because they could see without a slick player and easy-to-purchase system then Piracy would have been far, far greater. I have no comment on that other than they knew what they were doing with the iPod.

Steps back to today - close to 1,000,000 iPads sold in the FIRST day. Many news-papers screaming out for something to help them as their revenue has all but gone - meaning quality writers can’t be found. Sure the media is evolving and the web is major factor but somewhere along the lines someone has to be paid or the infrastructure wont exist! Many - and I mean MANY of the articles/breaking news stories reported on our beloved ATS are quotes from newspapers that wont exist in a few years unless something helps them out... and that’s where the iPad is in theory going to do for News, Magazines, Print that it has done for Music. I love the idea and hope it succeeds because far to many people want something for nothing and you end up with pure CR@p.

Sure Apple restrict the Apps and I am so, so thankful for that. They have made some major mistakes and are learning but they are learning. Probably 80% of the folks sat on here with their PCs are probably oblivious to the Trojans and rubbish that’s quietly set camp on their hard disks. Apple are not void from this problem but it’s far, far harder because they have better control.

I grew up as a DOS/Windows man (its my job), I laughed at Apple, I laughed at the ‘expensive’ iPod. I then realised how stubborn and ignorant I was and gave it a go. I have since moved most of my family members onto the platform because I was fed up with reinstalling their/my machines, removing the rubbish. YES it is possible to secure a windows platform but it’s hard, time consuming and in the end the whole foundation of a registry based system is simply flawed.

I hope they succeed and I hope they stay in control not giving in the whims of the whiners that want an ‘open’ system because their are nasty people out there that want to do nasty things to your system and data.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007

Oh noes, I spelt Tattooed wrong. Sorry.. As far as Quoting goes, I have no idea why that happened. I can't fix it no matter what I do? Now It's fixed.

Well, I have nothing to prove either. The proof is in the numbers.

What is the most used computer system in the world? I think you'll find it's not a Mac.

As far as Phones go, Apple had a good run but, the novelty is starting to wear off and the Kids have lost a little interest in the iPhone.

The iPad? We will have to wait and see. Like all novelties I think this may end badly for Apple. Depends on their Marketing Skills..

it's all good

Yes the most used system IS Windows but that is because people cant afford Apple or choose not to use it because they dont know how to. This is an argument neither of us will ever win

Sorry the novelty isnt wearing off as far I can see.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have only owned pc windows based computer up until 2 years ago. I got the Iphone, which lead me to buy a Mac Mini (my first MAC computer). I loved the Mini so much that I got a new Imac this year and I don't think that I will look back. I do still own several PC's and I will probably still purchase PC in the future but not nearly as often. I am in the Book Publishing and website design field. I will purchase an IPad but I will wait about 6 months first. I will like to make sure they have all the bugs worked out that come with every piece of computer hardware and software. I would also like to see how it is preforming. But I got my hands on one and it seems like a great new device.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

lol

when the first mp3 player came out, I bought one, because I knew it was going to be useful, since a LOT of people were already using mp3 (I dont think iPod was the first mp3, so really, I think you are kind of crazy to say iPod was something revolutionary)

I really believe the touchscreen tech will be great for some applications (like medicine, in a restaurant, ...)

my problem is that this product is being sold as a netbook replacement, not as a e-Book reader, so, you are buying something it is not

I really dont get you, why would an e-Book reader for 500$ would be a good product right now? In the future I am sure everyone will have one, since the price will be much better, and the tech will evolve and we will have a lot of more options from many companies, so, it will have all these features I said it was missing and that made the product useless

you need to understand, my problem is not with the CONCEPT, my problem is with the features missing in this product that simply make it useless for most people in my opinion

so, the purpose of this thread it to understand why such a useless product would receive so many good reviews and hype, when this product possesses so many flaws that it would be UNACCEPTABLE IN ANY OTHER DEVICE that says its a netbook killer;

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I had to answer you 2 times, since your post was one of the most flaws posts ever tech wise

when you say you like the Apple system, where they control everything and every data, well, you are TOTALITY WRONG:

- iphones, ipod touch are already hacked, you can get any App you want for free and you can do whatever you want

- Apple doesnt research if an Application is safe (last week example, an application didnt have any security, so some people were able to get pictures and userid from every user of the app, there was a thread here)

- Apple doesnt have control with the information that you provide in every App, so the provider of the App can do whatever they want with it, you are not safe

sorry for being harsh, I just feel that people need to talk about what they know ... for you to say my thread is a joke, man, I get it, Apple is like a religion to some people, so they will never do anything wrong ... man you need to think as a CUSTOMER, not as a fanboy

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
The only guy in this thread that may need it, its the guy that spends 200$/month in e-Books, but he could buy an netbook for half of the price, and it may provide a good experience for the price.

Ok, that's me. and I'm laughing because... well, WTF do I need a netbook for? I've got two laptops - one 17" macbook pro that's mine, a 15" toshiba that belongs to my company, plus a 24" iMac on my desk.

I don't look at the iPad as something to replace any of those. Netbooks are fine for what they are, but don't confuse them with what they aren't. The iPad is far more portable than any netbook I've seen on the market, for one. Sure, I could replace my electronic dictionary with a netbook and a peripheral stylus tablet - but the whole idea of a portable solution goes out the window. I'm reasonably sure I could mount my macbook (or an netbook) on my dashboard and use it for DVDs and navigation. But again, that's hardly the same. And yes, I could use an netbook or my laptops for reading. I do, from time to time. But it's not what they were designed to do - so they don't do it very well.

And that's the whole point, really. A lot of people seem to be looking at this product as a replacement for whatever they're running at work - and it isn't designed to be that. It's designed to do some of the things that laptops don't do very well, or do well in a clumsy fashion. That's how I see it, anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

tell that to the media then .... ^^

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Buying apple is your choice, but i would say one thing.

If your buying a desktop, build it yourself, you can pick and choose which equipment gos in it, and most of those parts last. Also you can hackintosh a pc today, so you can build a mac pro pc for half the price of a real one, running macosx.

Like said before macs use intel cpus today, and are practically pc's with just a name.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Faiol, you raised some pretty interesting points in your opening post. When the ipad shipped, the first reviews that came out were with news sources that Jobs hand picked. The wall street journal, the NY times, USA today and boing boing.

the reviews from this group were, for the most part, positive. There was mention of certain negative aspects but, they just mentioned them and moved on. They are all relying on this device to save them and, sadly, I don't think it will work.

All these publishers have one major problem. By the time they report it, it's old news. Things I've read on ATS show up in the papers and on the evening news days later. If the publishers want to be relevant, their news needs to be relevant.

As to the ipad, I think it's a cool iphone on steroids, minus the phone and camera. The camera will come, probably in a couple of months, making all the apple fanatics, who must have the new gadget immediately, once again be stuck with a pointless upgrade.

The screen is nice but it isn't 1080 so you need to downgrade some hd video. You will have issues using it in the sun, so much for reading on the beach but, on the flip side, you can do that pointless page turning thing to impress your friends.

Typing on it not a one handed thing so you need to either rest it in your lap or put it on a table. It looks awkward as hell so buying the keyboard is probably a necessity. What do you call a screen and a keyboard? A netbook. This is like lego computing. You need to buy all these peripherals to make this thing work perfectly and then you stuck with a device that needs to be set up to be used, versus just pulling out a laptop or a netbook and turning it on.

Hell, even charging it is an issue. You can't use those usb converter plugs as they don't provide enough juice so you have two options, attach it to your mac (which means you need a computer as well as an ipad) or buy the wall charger.

This device had a ton of potential but they seemed to have pulled their usual, get it out, sell out the first run, which turned out to be a rather small amount for a new apple product (they claim they had manufacturing problems, I'm guessing they cut back on availability when they saw the online sales drop off dramatically in the second week) and then come out with the better version.

My favorite realization came from our very own Springer who found the true ipad killer in the lack of flash. Not because 99% of the internet uses it. No, it was that all those porn sites won't be viewable on the ipad, unless you buy that $40 with a subscription ipad porn app (check out engadget or gizmodo for details on it). So, all these apple fans, stuck with an ipad that can't make calls (like the iphone on AT&T) and can't get their porn delivered to their dirty little hands but it can spin a picture when reading about calcium.

If Jobs sold his poop, with an apple logo imprinted on it (next to the corn), I'm guessing the same crowd that bought this thing would pre-order it and talk about how it is a game changing, life altering poop.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
it's all good

Yes the most used system IS Windows but that is because people cant afford Apple or choose not to use it because they dont know how to. This is an argument neither of us will ever win

Sorry the novelty isnt wearing off as far I can see.

Today macs are pc's with just a different os. you can build a pc, and put macosx on it, its called a hackintosh look it up. It will cost you less than half of a real mac.

Just do the research and you can build a very good hackintosh for half or any mac system you like.

People that buy macs do not really need to, but its just the name, do some research and you can today build your own macintosh.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The iPad is fantastic. Ever since I picked one up I have been able to spend countless time on this site amongst many others without needing to sit at a computer. In fact this message is being typed on one and I am nowhere near a computer.

The GUI on the iPad is fantastic and allows for quick navigation and just feels natural.

Lack of multitasking does not affect me much as most applications remember the state they where in when you exit an app and relaunch. For example safari remembers all your open tabs and even where you where scrolled to on a page.

Yes the price is a bit high but this is a first generation product and the price will drop more over time.

The device is amazing.. Try one!

Edit: minor spelling fixes

Ps: no I do not work for apple - just a computer geek at large.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by geekgod]

[edit on 4-4-2010 by geekgod]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Every company has that "Wtf were they thinking" product. The iPad is Apple's WTF product for sure.

Over sized iPhone, no thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join