It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

yes ... lets take the internet and put it on a converter, so all content can be presented in _javascript

man, is not that easy ...

they would need to remake everything ... apple should embrace the internet, instead of trying to make their own internet

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Its like all these ebook readers, all should do all ebook versions but they do not.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
great article about Apple and Anti-Internet

digg.com...

Although Apple is marketing the iPad as a replacement for a netbook or a laptop, Sweeting says Apple's control over the iPad makes it very different, because on most computers, you can choose any software or application you like. "This is not an open platform where you can create a lot of content, or other people can create a lot of applications and content that you can then access and use and incorporate into what you're doing," he says.

Sweeting says he thinks many of the major media companies would love to see computers discourage people from searching the open Internet for content.

"I think the media companies will leap at this," he says. "It offers them the opportunity to essentially re-create the old business model, wherein they are pushing content to you on their terms rather than you going out and finding content, or a search engine discovering content for you."

Harvard professor

read the article ... its good

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
if the ipad gives you any trouble you can always try this fix..

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Notion Ink Adam ------ ENOUGH SAID!

gizmodo.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Very good article

Apple is offering you a gated community where there's a guard at the gate, and there's probably maid service, too.

edit: I don't think the iPad is the "end of the Internet" though. It has a 'cool factor' but soon the alternatives, like the HP Slate for example, will hit the market. Either Apple will have to expand the iPads capabilities to match the other devices or get left in their wake. It is pretty clear what Jobs agenda is though.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by cripmeister]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Is it commie approved?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed89847e520c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Newspapers here ( not in english ) now speaks of an good portion of the iPad buyers being dissapointed. Apperentlly mainly on the range of the Wi-fi. Does the papers in US focus on the same thing?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Akezzon

Check this out (in today's news):

Apple iPad users report wi-fi problems

I can't wholeheartedly join the bandwagon, I have to say. Apple will more than likely fix these issues and increase the functionality in a revised version. Many IT innovations are best left alone till the teething problems have been ironed out.

I'll court more controversy with this, I dare say: I suspect those who are putting down Apple products and hyping Windows are very largely those who haven't made the move to Apple Mac. The user experience just can't be compared in terms of security, reliability or the intuitiveness of the interface. Period.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
I bit the Bullet (Maybe got sucked in) and bought an iPhone. I bought it mainly to see what all the hype was about.

Other than an excellent user interface, it doesn't do anything more than a Normal Smartphone can do. It's the GUI that really makes the iPhone.

Apple is nothing more than a great interface company that builds hardware/software around their proprietary interfaces. They were this way back with the Apple 2E and they still are today, and I don’t see that as a bad thing. The iPhone got other phone companies off their butts to produce better and that is all good for us. BTW I do not own a MAC or a iPad as I do not have/see the need for either with my lifestyle, but many of my friends love them.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Will this be game-changing?

It -- or more specifically, what it represents -- has serious potential, but not all by itself.

One thing that can be said for Apple is just about every product they come up with is a game changer. People slam the iPhone and say well I got my Samsung that is better, well good for them, but think of what phones/Windows/MP3s would be like today without Apple pushing game changers in those areas and others.

Will we see a Company_01 iPad killer next year? I hope so, but without Apple pushing a limited product today with huge potential we would never see that killer in the future. Though I’m not a big user of Apple products I see their ideas in just about every non-apple product I do use and so they are a vital company to the industry and I hope they sell a billion iPads to be able to make the next game changer no matter now crappy it may start out as.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
think of what ....MP3s would be like today without Apple pushing game changers in those areas and others.

Give credit where credit is due.

Creative Labs is the one who changed the face of mp3 players. Apple seemed to agree when they paid them $100 million for infringement

www.macsimumnews.com...

The iphone was, most definitely, a major evolutionary step but palm deserves the credit for smartphones.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
but palm deserves the credit for smartphones.

And how's their stock doing lately?

Yesterday our neighbor with a (second-gen) Kindle stopped by to compare apples and grapefruits. There's a lot to like about reading text on the Kindle screen, and I was reminded of that. But he felt the iPad screen was better for indoor situations, and has yet to use his Kindle in direct sunlight... in fact, his direct quote was, "I don't get why people are making a big deal about reading this in sunlight. Anyone who subjects a $500 device, with hundreds of dollars of content in it, to direct sunlight for extended periods has lost their mind." Good point.

Overall... he had moderate iPad envy, mostly because of the games and video... he travels a lot and has a Kindle, PSP, and DVD player for the airplane trips.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
think of what ....MP3s would be like today without Apple pushing game changers in those areas and others.

Give credit where credit is due.

Creative Labs is the one who changed the face of mp3 players. Apple seemed to agree when they paid them $100 million for infringement

The iphone was, most definitely, a major evolutionary step but palm deserves the credit for smartphones.

I stand corrected to a point, :p but for phones even though palm came first it was Apple’s interface that became the game changer, and same with iPod. With all these devices I do not give any credit to Apple for the first concept just as with the iPad it isn't brand new never seen before technology, but how they design the interface to work with us is what I view as the game changers.

Mac’s interface is the only force on earth that pushes Windows to be better, and without Apple we still might be doing DOS commands hehe…

One thing to remember is hype is a vital part of success. The Amiga computer came out and it was hands down the best in its day with both sound and video intergraded with the CPU. No hype equaled a quick death and it really never got off the starting line. The Microsoft tablet kind of came and died without a whimper, but the iPad will most likely create totally new directions in how we operate even if the system we use doesn't have an Apple logo.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

but palm deserves the credit for smartphones.

And how's their stock doing lately?

that's because they stuck with the product for too long without moving forward. I picked up the pre recently and it is, truly, a remarkable experience.

"I don't get why people are making a big deal about reading this in sunlight. Anyone who subjects a $500 device, with hundreds of dollars of content in it, to direct sunlight for extended periods has lost their mind." Good point.

except that, for many, buying an ereader like the kindle or nook, means they can read it in the sunlight, on the beach, by the pool etc. taking one ereader on vacation, instead of 2-5 books is a major selling point. So, now, an ereader on the ipad isn't really a decent idea because it isn't going to be very visible in the sun and it is not the type of product you want sitting under the sun - I'm guessing it gets pretty warm after a few hours of use.

so, you need an eread AND an ipad if you are, like me, an avid reader who will sit for hours reading outside (when the kids aren't pestering me of course).

The way I see it, anyone who doesn't type a lot when surfing the web, who doesn't spend a lot of time drafting long emails, who doesn't want to sit outside in the sun reading etc is ideal for the ipad. This isn't a knock on the ipad, it's a big market. I think, perhaps, this is why so many of the so called "geek crowd" is pooh poohing the device. It's not for them.

yet.

It will be. We all know how apple works. Bill, you'll be offered a rebate in about 4 months when the ipad with video and camera etc are released. That's Apple's m.o.

It's also one of the reasons their stock is where it is. Brilliant business management.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

except that, for many, buying an ereader like the kindle or nook, means they can read it in the sunlight, on the beach, by the pool etc. taking one ereader on vacation, instead of 2-5 books is a major selling point. So, now, an ereader on the ipad isn't really a decent idea because it isn't going to be very visible in the sun and it is not the type of product you want sitting under the sun - I'm guessing it gets pretty warm after a few hours of use.

Everyone I know who has an ereader loves it with the ability to electronically read black print on a white page along with being audio book capable, 1500 book storage and a good tool set for search, save etc. One huge factor is its extremely long battery life with no heat during very extended use, and as we all know reading can be a very long desired endeavor. What is the battery life on an iPad?

Since it seems that we are always pushed in the direction of one device that does everything halfass, this is a good example of a device designed to do one thing well.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Apple IS a software company, this has been stated by Jobs a number of times. I have OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 installed on my PC and I find myself booting into OS X every time. Windows 7 doesn't come close to Snow Leopard when it comes to the overall user experience. It's like the OS doesn't get in the way of my work.

On a different note. The Mac vs PC era was technically over when Apple switched to Intel architecture in 2005. If they set their OS free I wouldn't be surprised if it would dominate the market.

Edit to add: The Apple EULA has no legal value in the EU/Sweden. You're not doing anything wrong as long as you buy the retail DVD of OS X and install from there. Installing a pirated copy of OS X is of course copyright infringement and that still applies in the EU.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by cripmeister]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I've heard mixed reports on the ipad and, obviously, owners would have better data but roughly 10 hours of regular usage and less if you are watching movies etc. I think the battery is pretty damned good for what it does but I'm unsure as to the heat. I'm guessing it gives off decent heat but that's to be expected with a device like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I've heard mixed reports on the ipad and, obviously, owners would have better data but roughly 10 hours of regular usage and less if you are watching movies etc. I think the battery is pretty damned good for what it does but I'm unsure as to the heat. I'm guessing it gives off decent heat but that's to be expected with a device like that.

Battery life is over 10 hours watching movies actually. I've been browsing with the thing and using apps for 2 days without a recharge. 10 hours is the worst case scenario when using the most energy draining features. Those reviewing the iPad for publications have found the iPad to play movies for 12-13 hours.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Well with the ability to go 10 plus hours and do a good job as an ereader while also being able to play games watch movies/shows etc is a big plus. Much of my travels are in places that the movies/shows/TV you can watch are only what you bring. I also know that the world in general outside of the US and a few other countries has slow, limited and expensive internet. Running a laptop to do all this is very bulky and extremely limited battery life.

But the big question is what makes it better over a net book that cost 1/3 less and seems to do all this too? I’m sure the answer is the interface and if it is like comparing a blackberry to an iPhone I would most likely get the Ipad over a net book just because of the interface.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Xtrozero]

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join